GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Overheating & no hot air blowing from driver side

WillW

Car(s)
VW Golf VII 2.0TDI
Hi, I have a 2014 2.0tdi Golf VII and l recently got a notification to pull over due to my car suddenly overheating (130 on temp gauge). The car was previously losing coolant but I had it fully topped up. I brought it to a garage and they pressurised the coolant system and all appeared fine so they suggested replacing the cap and since then I have lost no more coolant. A week later, I was driving around 50-60kph and I noticed the temp gauge going up again. I pulled over as it reached 95 to prevent any further damage. I've driven 100km since and no sign of the temp gauge moving past 90 but I have just noticed that hot air is no longer blowing out of the driver side vents and is not exactly piping hot coming out of the passenger side either. Does this mean that the thermostat is likely to need replacing? The water pump was replaced 3 years ago after I discovered leaking coolant so I would hope that's not the issue. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

WillW

Car(s)
VW Golf VII 2.0TDI
Update. Appears the passenger side heating is practically gone now too and the car was very slow to heat up today.

kyLman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf
you're losing coolant, but pressure test came back (+) so that's a good sign.
If you're losing coolant, it must be leaking...but how? And usually leaking coolant doesn't produce a overheating symptom, something must've failed...which can only be a couple things: water pump, radiator, or thermostat (or all 3!)
It's likely the water pump since every MK7 has this issue.
This is a simple diagnostic, I would find a new mechanic if he's unable to help past doing a pressure test..

WillW

Car(s)
VW Golf VII 2.0TDI
A very thorough check would also tell us if you're dribbling fluid from the WP.
Thanks for your detailed reply. To be honest I'm just glad it's not overheating at the moment but I will send it into a VW garage next week and ask them to run a diagnostic on it. Hopefully all three components above don't need replacing!