GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Chat 2: The Place You Go When Plac ISN'T Considering a New Car

dasauto0108

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I like them a lot actually. I don't know if I'd want that as my only car though.

^^^ this. I'd get a pre-01 wrangler to have along with my GTI in a heartbeat.

Anyone know how the current-gen diesel GCs are?

Sent from some sort of Apple device.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Too much reliability uncertainty when there's nowhere to work on the car.

To me, the best city car is a Jeep or an old banged up ZFG Civic.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Too much reliability uncertainty when there's nowhere to work on the car.

To me, the best city car is a Jeep or an old banged up ZFG Civic.

:word:

I don't mind wrenching... cept when there's nowhere to wrench except for the back of the Acme parking lot. And its cold. And there's snow on the ground.

FWIW my favorite interior of all the cars I test drove last year was the Wrangler JK. Its just a no-bullshit interior. Nothing in there will look horribly, terribly dated down the road. These touch screens with mediocre graphics by today's standards will feel like flip phones vs. iPhones in 10 years.

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
This. That fucking engine.... people cut other people for it.

Please don't. :yikes:

WUT?

Seriously, the 4.0 was bulletproof. Even with high mileage, they just keep running. Except the 01+ units that had head issues.

Both of the people I've known with XJ's have had issues with that motor, take that for what it is, maybe they were both just very unlucky. Also when I was on the Jeep forums, I would hear about all sorts of problems with poorly maintained and abused Cherokees.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Both of the people I've known with XJ's have had issues with that motor, take that for what it is, maybe they were both just very unlucky. Also when I was on the Jeep forums, I would hear about all sorts of problems with poorly maintained and abused Cherokees.

Any poorly maintained car will suck. Even Civics and Corollas.

01+ 4.0s are the ones to watch out for.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Dude, people treat me like I have 2 heads when I say that shit around here.

Fuck sunroofs, waste of space and money. We have one on the mazda because it was impossible to get any other options without a sunroof. It was opened one time on the test drive to make sure it works and then never opened again - and that's with a young woman driving, not me. She doesn't even open the shade for it, leaves it closed all year round.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
eh i like sunroofs, but i only use em to tilt em to get fresh air, especially in cold. I only opened sunroof on my mk6 probably 10 times within first year i owned it but i only titled them due to that turbulence with side windows closed after that. i never had that problem with my tsx, with windows up and roof back or driver window down with sunroof closed. maybe i'd use it when its summer and take a road trip to a beach or something. i can deal without it too.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
One reason why I didn't bother going with a regular fJCW MINI was because most non-GP JCWs came with a roof and/or navigation (another waste of money).

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
One reason why I didn't bother going with a regular fJCW MINI was because most non-GP JCWs came with a roof and/or navigation (another waste of money).

:word:

That's one downside to the celica gts, can't get it without a stupid sunroof - and the extra half inch of headroom would really help in that car. My damn head was half an inch from hitting the ceiling in the gts.

I really like how the Lotus Elise and Evora just use standard aftermarket single and double-DIN head units right from the factory. That's a brilliant move IMO since that shit goes obsolete by the time the cars ever hit dealer lots anyway. Making it stupid simple for owners to upgrade to current units is awesome (and it's stupid simple to make a running production change to newer stuff).

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Well, that's one thing VW did right with the Mk6 GTI... easily convertible over to a regular double-DIN headunit, or newer OEM headunit.