GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Chat 2: The Place You Go When Plac ISN'T Considering a New Car

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like an absolute moron. The car just came out and he didn't know what he was getting himself into during a test drive? Now all the sudden the car is completely different from set expectations?

I've been told by multiple Subaru dealers that they don't offer test drives on a new STI, but that I should buy one anyways because they're sure I'd like it. It's the only brand I've ever had an issue getting a test drive with, most dealerships practically throw the keys at me after walking in the door. I would never buy a car without test driving it first.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I've been told by multiple Subaru dealers that they don't offer test drives on a new STI, but that I should buy one anyways because they're sure I'd like it. It's the only brand I've ever had an issue getting a test drive with, most dealerships practically throw the keys at me after walking in the door. I would never buy a car without test driving it first.

:word:

I tried to test one (a used one even, not new) before I eventually ended up with my S4 and they wouldn't let me drive it either, but they didn't even want me to buy it. They pushed me toward the WRX, I ended up saying no thanks and left without driving anything. Bought my S4 later that day.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

Same story but after a deposit they let you take it.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like an absolute moron. The car just came out and he didn't know what he was getting himself into during a test drive? Now all the sudden the car is completely different from set expectations?

He had it ordered and a deposit down before they were even here... so I don't know if he even test drove it.

He doesn't really understand what money is though, I mean he got a brand new GT at like 19 or 20 and a Raptor at 22 when they were brand new... different world than someone like you or I who actually work for their money.

To his credit he works really hard for his parents now, but he still doesn't "get it".

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI

Got the same thing when I tried to test drive a BRZ when they were new. They wanted a deposit before I could drive it. This was after I test drove a brand new M3. Um, Subaru does not = M3, bro. Get over yourselves. And that's the day Subaru died to me.

Same story but after a deposit they let you take it.

Dis.

He had it ordered and a deposit down before they were even here... so I don't know if he even test drove it.

He doesn't really understand what money is though, I mean he got a brand new GT at like 19 or 20 and a Raptor at 22 when they were brand new... different world than someone like you or I who actually work for their money.

To his credit he works really hard for his parents now, but he still doesn't "get it".

I don't care how "hard" he works. He'll never have any concept of the value of money.

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Went to the auto show yesterday, and the Ford GT is absolutely stunning in person. I don't care about super cars, but that thing is art just as much as a super car. Damn Ford. Damn.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Went to the auto show yesterday, and the Ford GT is absolutely stunning in person. I don't care about super cars, but that thing is art just as much as a super car. Damn Ford. Damn.

Yes very impressed I am. Im liking both the NSX and the GT. Id be happy to see both as I opened the garage door :)

Merkle

Banned

Graves? Is that you?

So many interesting cars coming out.

Still waiting for the ND Miata specs.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion

Its irrelevant for just about anyone on the planet. But so is a Ferrari.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I don't care how "hard" he works. He'll never have any concept of the value of money.

Ha well yeah, definitely.

He gave me a really hard time when I only had the Miata, and it was like "dude, it's not like everyone can just get a fucking Raptor because it seems neat."

Yeah it does look awesome... kind of turned the NSX into a joke :lol:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
It's not uncommon for a dealer to either come to pricing terms or run a credit report before letting you drive a car. In the case of the STI or Evo, its most likely because of the age of a lot of the guys test driving them, etc. While it sucks that some do this, I can see the reasoning behind it, it even almost happened to me when test driving a $10K miata for godsakes, lol. I fought them on it and they let me drive it.

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI
So many interesting cars coming out.

Still waiting for the ND Miata specs.

Sat in one. It was pretty nice. I even fit better in it than I have in any of the past ones. It looks awesome on the outside, great on the inside. It's winning fa show.

Its irrelevant for just about anyone on the planet. But so is a Ferrari.

True. But unlike Ferraris, the thing seems like it's impossible. Impossibly low, impossibly thin, impossible flying buttresses in the rear, it has an insane attention to detail...I honestly watched it spin for 10 minutes taking in all the details. Way better than any other super car I've seen.

Yeah it does look awesome... kind of turned the NSX into a joke :lol:

It really did. I looked at the NSX first and came away with a "meh" feeling. It's nice, but it's predictable. The Ford GT is complete insanity.

It's not uncommon for a dealer to either come to pricing terms or run a credit report before letting you drive a car. In the case of the STI or Evo, its most likely because of the age of a lot of the guys test driving them, etc. While it sucks that some do this, I can see the reasoning behind it, it even almost happened to me when test driving a $10K miata for godsakes, lol. I fought them on it and they let me drive it.

It's stupid.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Yep Ford GT is amazeballs...

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Well at one point the Ford GTs were "somewhat" affordable. I think it was 1 year into the production you could find one for around ~120k.

The fact that they are over 200k now...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Ford-G...9fa1f2ae0&item=111570528992&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

That particular car essentially pays you 10k a year for owning it :laugh:

If they keep values under 200k on this car I can see it being a really smart financial decision to buy one.