GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car boot water leak (GOLF MK7) - EASY FIX!!!

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
is this problem not a matter of if but when? my car is 5 yrs from its build date and i'd rather fix this preemptively than have to deal with drying a bunch of stuff out.

Borolad

Mine
is this problem not a matter of if but when? my car is 5 yrs from its build date and i'd rather fix this preemptively than have to deal with drying a bunch of stuff out.
mine is five years old just, but I think the problem has just kicked off as the wheel well was wet but not soaked, it can all be prevented by keeping the grommet in the bottom of the boot lid in good nick with some rubber grease, but if it has eroded or gone into the lid, as said, a comparatively easy fix.

conorlap

Car(s)
Golf Mk7
Hi all,

I've just discovered a leak in my 2013 Mk7 and found this forum post and thought this was the answer, however my car doesn't appear to have the same type of tube/grommet - it's as below in the picture, its just a little rubber stopper that can be pulled out and pushed back in.

Any ideas where the leak could be coming from otherwise? I can't seem to detect any signs of it elsewhere!

Thanks!

Screenshot 2020-08-26 at 20.33.08.png

conorlap

Car(s)
Golf Mk7
Hi all,

I've just discovered a leak in my 2013 Mk7 and found this forum post and thought this was the answer, however my car doesn't appear to have the same type of tube/grommet - it's as below in the picture, its just a little rubber stopper that can be pulled out and pushed back in.

Any ideas where the leak could be coming from otherwise? I can't seem to detect any signs of it elsewhere!

Thanks!

View attachment 184193

Oops it seems like the issue is here, I've ordered some silicone to try to seal it up!

1598561367072.png

garnetpilchard

Car(s)
Golf estate mk7
Hey Guys
I'm new here, I've a four year old golf estate with this problem, but its caused rust all along the boot lip.
I only brought the car at the start of the year from a main dealer and their quoting me £2300 (50% goodwill offer cuts it to 1150) to replace the whole boot, as that's the only way to make sure the rust goes.
Annoyingly the rust was there when I brought it, I didn't check every panel, does anyone know what my rights are with this, as VW's rust guarantee doesn't cover rust caused by water leaks.
Thanks

Flibbidyjib

Car(s)
Golf
Hi Guys, just discovered boot well is soaking wet too and upon looking I can see the gromit has gone and the pipe dropped back into car. What I want to know is what size screwdriver do I need to buy??? Thanks, hopefully this little lady can solve it herself thanks to this top advice!

LBro

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 GT est 2014
Just done this job. Remove the 4 torx screws and pull boot covers off. Remove old hose and cut new hose to length. Fit and rebuild. Placed a small room dehumidifier In the boot just too help clear any damp.
Just done mine...in the snow storm we are having today!
I would add that the tube I got from main dealer, at a cost of £6, is much improved. It is now a one piece black rubber tube with the grommet formed as part of it so no chance of it coming off.
I took the rear trim panels off the boot lid - top tip...start at the very top near the hinges and work round and down.
Added some soundproofing while all that was off.
I was going to fix the new tube onto the white plastic 90 degree elbow but one of the fixing wings of the elbow snapped (see pic) and I then realised the new pipe was longer than needed so I removed the (now broken) white plastic elbow as well as the short grey pipe that connected the badge/handle to that elbow and made one connection right at the drain hole. Needed to cut about an inch and a half off the new black tube (2nd pic showing part sticker too) but feel so much happier now it’s all one length (two less joints to worry about) and with the grommet part of the tube.
Final tip - spray some silicon lube onto all the clips and hooks where the plastic trim fits into each other and into the metal of the boot lid. It goes back in so easily. I also sprayed some on the grommet part at the end of the new tube so it seated easily in the boot lid without having to yank or twist it.
Good luck everyone!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 501
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 530

garnetpilchard

Car(s)
Golf estate mk7
Yea had mine fixed at a local independent garage.
Unfortunately there must be a leak elsewhere in the boot, as sealing the hole lead to a massive build up of water and when the boot opened it ran all over the headlining. The one the garage took out looked perfect, almost as if it'd be pushed inside to allow the water to empty out.
Moaned to the dealers who have agreed to diagnose the water leak under warranty but not repair it, but I can't figure out where the water is coming from.
Regarding the badge drain according to the literature as it's a rubber part it's classed as perishable (like windscreen wipers) and therefore not covered under warranty nor can the damage caused be covered.
Annoyingly I really like the car (in the warm weather), but it'd be a few years before buying VW again.

Last edited:

Claude

Car(s)
Mk 7 1.4 TSI
Just wanted to say thanks to all for your posts and videos which have enabled me to find and fix the tailgate catch leak problem with the pipe and grommet issue. Much appreciated.:)

Framoman

Yea had mine fixed at a local independent garage.
Unfortunately there must be a leak elsewhere in the boot, as sealing the hole lead to a massive build up of water and when the boot opened it ran all over the headlining. The one the garage took out looked perfect, almost as if it'd be pushed inside to allow the water to empty out.
Moaned to the dealers who have agreed to diagnose the water leak under warranty but not repair it, but I can't figure out where the water is coming from.
Regarding the badge drain according to the literature as it's a rubber part it's classed as perishable (like windscreen wipers) and therefore not covered under warranty nor can the damage caused be covered.
Annoyingly I really like the car (in the warm weather), but it'd be a few years before buying VW again.

Water can get in 3 main places.

1. Boot drain hose (this thread)

2. Slam vents behind bumper. These are vents that equalize air pressure in the car when you slam the doors shut. They leak commonly. You can fix them easily by running silicon sealant around the outside of them. Search google or golf MK7 facebook group for info. Hardest part is actually getting the bumper off.

3. Tail light seals. Also googleable or facebook group. Worth running a bead of silicon around those when you do slam vents because you take out the lights to take off the bumper.

Glad I have helped everyone.

Ron H

Car(s)
Golf Vii
found a swimming pool in my spare wheel well (2014 Golf 7) and soaking rear bench seat. Searched the net for all the implicated causes...

Firstly, how does the drenched carpet under the wheel come away from the sides of the boot? Do you need to undo some of the plastic housings? Secondly how does the rear bench seat come out and also how to put back? I will probably remove the weird (drain) grommets from the side wells by the rear boot vents when I eventually am able to gain access. Thanks for any help.