daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I suspect my suburban injectors need cleaned so I looked them up a few years ago.

Still haven’t sent anything there, but they show some very impressive before & after on their IG.
Found them on the Googles. Looked legit.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
This is an issue, correct? I used a can on LM DI Jectron injector cleaner and shortly after I started to get more timing retard than I was accustomed to seeing (-3,-4,-5). I burned through that tank of gas, filled up again at a different station, are here we are again. Plugs are new. I think I'll try a gallon of E tomorrow.

3rd Gear Log_1
3rd Gear Log_2
Quick update here; Nick thinks the tune might have been a bit too spicy for my winter fuel so he sent a revision with a little less timing and after testing it out, all is well. So now it looks like I have one version for winter fuel and one version for summer blends. I asked Nick just out of curiosity how close this revised 1.03 file is to the OTS tune in terms of timing (in true EQT fashion, I expect to hear back in seven days or so).

is38 93 Oct V1.02 (knock event)
is38 93 Oct V1.02 (summer)
is38 93 Oct V1.03 (winter)

IMG_2614.jpg

tigeo

Autocross Champion
big difference in timing advance - 3 degrees vs. 8!

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I guess tuning in the winter has it's perks, haha. Explains why I run 5.5 all year and rarely ever have knock.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I guess tuning in the winter has it's perks, haha. Explains why I run 5.5 all year and rarely ever have knock.
But you also not getting the benefit of the better fuel when available so power on the table.

Last edited:

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
big difference in timing advance - 3 degrees vs. 8!
Okay can you school a noob? Are you looking at ignition timing final degrees in this v1.02 log at -3 degrees and then 8 degrees in this v1.02 log from when the tune was done in the summer and was a clean log?

If I have that correct, how should I think about that with the 1.03 revision I just received?

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
your v1.02 showing 3 degrees of advance at redline and summer log for same tune is 8.5. Clearly getting some timing correction on the winter blend some over -5 which is a lot. The 1.03 shows no KR and 3.5 advance. Your 1.03 just is keeping the timing advance lower so you don't get an KR to start with...the end result may be the same (3.5 advance) but it didn't use the KR to get there. You just don't make as much power on it is all. Can't you just run a few gal of E on the 1.02 tune to get rid the KR and get that advance back?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
your v1.02 showing 3 degrees of advance at redline and summer log for same tune is 8.5. Clearly getting some timing correction on the winter blend some over -5 which is a lot. The 1.03 shows no KR and 3.5 advance. Your 1.03 just is keeping the timing advance lower so you don't get an KR to start with...the end result may be the same (3.5 advance) but it didn't use the KR to get there. You just don't make as much power on it is all.
Thanks for the explanation, I think I'm tracking now. Seems like there’s a clear benefit to use 1.03 for now. I asked Nick how close the timing on the 1.03 revision was to the OTS tune at this point. I'm interested to see what he says about that.
Can't you just run a few gal of E on the 1.02 tune to get rid the KR and get that advance back?
I probably could and will test that out in the coming days.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the explanation, I think I'm tracking now. Seems like there’s a clear benefit to use 1.03 for now. I asked Nick how close the timing on the 1.03 revision was to the OTS tune at this point. I'm interested to see what he says about that.

I probably could and will test that out in the coming days.
I have the same issues with my Unitronic tune. Winter blend doesn't work as well as summer and I can get KR to a point where it will protect/limp it under WOT. I run 2-3 gal of E and have zero issues getting the ~14-15 deg of advance at redline. EQT doesn't run a ton of timing in their tunes.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I have the same issues with my Unitronic tune. Winter blend doesn't work as well as summer and I can get KR to a point where it will protect/limp it under WOT. I run 2-3 gal of E and have zero issues getting the ~14-15 deg of advance at redline. EQT doesn't run a ton of timing in their tunes.
14-15 on a pump tune… what’s the boost at redline 15-17psi?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
14-15 on a pump tune… what’s the boost at redline 15-17psi?
I have the IS38, peaks around 21-22 and tapers to around 19. Unitronic....timing vs. boost.

Edit - I usually run a little E....2-3 gallons.

Last edited:

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
HPFP is not able to keep up in the dense air now, you are getting railpressure drops so I would not add any Ethanol. You could upgrade the pump and have Nick adjust the tune.
datazap.me | CaptainRatty | EQT is38 V1.03
Well that's.... sub-optimal :(. I wonder if the HPFP is on its way out, if truly is the colder, denser air, or it's gummed up.