GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CaptainRatty's is38 GTI.. I have no idea what I'm doing (kind of) build

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Is it necessary to do a shorter interval oil change after the turbo install? There was nothing wrong with the is20 that came out. About 1k miles on the new is38 so far.

Agray

Go Kart Champion
Nice build, I'm debating between IS308 and Vortex as well, now add the Garrett to the mix as well... I think I may end up with the FCP IS38 because of the warranty, but the delivery of the Vortex is calling my name.
Agreed...That warranty is so sweet. For me, it was between is38 or the Vortex; I wasn't really considering the Garrett. It's basically an is38+ which at that point, just spend the extra for the Vortex or a bit less for the is38. The delta in price makes it a hard sell, especially being a guinea pig. Vortex on 93 alone is a monster.
That weld though...
What's wrong with it? Doesn't look compromised or like it's leaking?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
After 1000 miles with the IS38 - how are you feeling about it?
I'm very happy with it, it was a good choice for my usage. I expect another revision from Nick in the coming days but so far so good. Happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I'm very happy with it, it was a good choice for my usage. I expect another revision from Nick in the coming days but so far so good. Happy to answer any specific questions you have.
I guess my question is - is the upgrade worth the price? You're probably an extra 2kish out of pocket? Is it worth 2K, which is essentially going from stock to stage 2, without clutch. Is the difference similar? And thank you, by the way.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Nice build, I'm debating between IS308 and Vortex as well, now add the Garrett to the mix as well... I think I may end up with the FCP IS38 because of the warranty, but the delivery of the Vortex is calling my name.

That weld though...

Same guy welded this one.

Crazy what a few years of experience can can change.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
LOL. So those were your early days with the MIG?

Yeah, CaptainRatty was one of the very first customers. He posted a picture of me welding that sitting on the ground in my driveway.

That was before I had bolt on Midpipes or catbacks, just the V1 DP & FMIC.

He was able to capture what’s probably my worst weld ever in that picture, but it’s stood the test of time and I’ve progressed so it all comes back to keep pushing forward and try new things even if it doesn’t look good in the beginning

Last edited:

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
What do we think? Couple hard stops to clear off the deposits?

tempImage96Rutb.jpg