GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CaptainRatty's is38 GTI.. I have no idea what I'm doing (kind of) build

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Neuspeed may give you a discount on the one wheel. FYI shipping is still $50 to NC for one wheel. Call them up and talk to them in person.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Buy one wheel. Just order it, even if it takes forever you’ll stop thinking about it and have a full size spare when it shows up.
This

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Yup. Order the single replacement and in the meantime swap the trashed one to the rear passenger side.
Buy one wheel. Just order it, even if it takes forever you’ll stop thinking about it and have a full size spare when it shows up.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

Neuspeed may give you a discount on the one wheel. FYI shipping is still $50 to NC for one wheel. Call them up and talk to them in person.

Yup. Order the single replacement and in the meantime swap the trashed one to the rear passenger side.

Call Neuspeed they give a 30% discount for replacing damaged wheels. I just ordered one yesterday
I wish it was that simple. I'm not the original purchaser of the wheels so Neuspeed won't honor the discount they usually offer for damaged wheels. I then followed up with, "fine, I'd like to place an order for a new wheel anyway." To which the person on the phone responded with "sorry, we're not taking any new orders on the satin bronze wheel until we have them back in stock (and the next 24 that come in are already spoken for)."

I tried to give them my money and they said no thank you, keep checking back on the site :rolleyes:.

I've looked in to having all four powder coated to match and it comes out to $100 cheaper than a brand new set of wheels with a 10 day lead time so that's just not worth the hassle.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I am not the original purchaser of my wheels and I still ordered mine with that discount. But mine are less popular than yours, so maybe they were just itching to get rid of them.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Aerofabb FTW. I've always wanted one but they've been OOS for a long time now. I got it from a fellow forum member, used. I think this is one of the early ones based on the Aerofabb logo badge and some dates on the instructions.

I might even be the third owner so it required a little banging on the aluminum where the bolts go because they were previously over-torqued causing the piece to bend and thus throwing off the alignment. All good, no big deal. It fits perfectly now and looks like an OEM part, which was what I was going for.

tempImageQQAPUs.png

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
The “why the hell not” mods have begun.

Installed a BFI shift knob. Easy to install, but I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. The leather ball itself is nice, but the aluminum mechanism to engage the shifter makes an unpleasant metal-on-metal sound whenever I move from P to D or vice versa. It's 100% installed correctly and is tight. It's just the way it is.

Also had the razor blade shifter trim replaced at the dealer.
8071F5BF-906F-452A-98B3-81AC7BF1094D.jpeg

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
To carbon clean or not?

2017 GTI with 70k miles, tuned for 50k of those miles. I'm not having any symptoms to suspect there is a problem caused by excessive build up, but what's the general consensus on doing it at a mileage interval vs. waiting for a symptom of carbon build up (poor MPG, cold start misfires, etc) to appear?

I plan on keeping the car indefinitely so I'm not opposed to doing it if it makes sense to do so. I'd probably have the injectors replaced with the MK7 Golf R injectors (+15% added flow vs GTI) at the same time as my rail pressure can't keep up with the requested number.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
replaced your water pump yet? When/if you do, take a peek at the valves at that point, otherwise, I'd run it until you start to see/feel symptoms

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
replaced your water pump yet? When/if you do, take a peek at the valves at that point, otherwise, I'd run it until you start to see/feel symptoms
Yep, new WP at 50k miles.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I did mine at 87,000 miles. Swapped the injectors with the newest revision GTI injectors too while I was in there. Heres some pics for how they looked for reference.

IMG_8111 2.jpg

IMG_8074.jpg

Like you I did it preventatively, not because of any issues. I didn't experience any changes in performance either. Maybe a bit smoother idle when cold starting but thats about it.

Since my ownership started @36k miles I have run only top tier premium gasoline (primarily Shell). Another thing to note is my car gets mostly highway miles. Not too many short trips. Hope this helps

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
when did the newer revisioned injectors come out? post 2018?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I did mine at 87,000 miles. Swapped the injectors with the newest revision GTI injectors too while I was in there. Heres some pics for how they looked for reference.

View attachment 259019
View attachment 259020

Like you I did it preventatively, not because of any issues. I didn't experience any changes in performance either. Maybe a bit smoother idle when cold starting but thats about it.

Since my ownership started @36k miles I have run only top tier premium gasoline (primarily Shell). Another thing to note is my car gets mostly highway miles. Not too many short trips. Hope this helps
I think that's the crux of my question. If you didn't have any issues, but still chose to do it, and you didn't see any meaningful changes after you did it, then why bother?