GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can't figure out this...about to take to the shop... help please

TroyI

Ready to race!
I can not find the answer to this anywhere on the friggin' internet.

I'm having a strange noise from my exhaust (or rear end). This only happens when the oil temp hits 130degree and only when the car is going 0-5 mph and 5-0 mph while barely touching the gas peddle. No problems at wide open throttle. Occasionally it sounds like a rattle in the rear, possibly the exhaust pipes, but other times I can swear it's coming from the exhaust itself.

BTW, I am stage 2 with APR downpipe and stock exhaust. And this started the day after a trip to the dragstrip.

I appreciate any help in this, as it worries me that something is going wrong inside (upstream from) the exhaust.

Troy

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Is it a rattle, resonance sound or a metal on metal 'ting' sound?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
That's low rpm, high torque.... Check hangers on DP to see if they're contacting the body, through the bushings.

Did this happen all of a sudden when the temp dropped?

TroyI

Ready to race!
Sometimes it rattles and sometimes it's a gurgle sound. I have jacked it up and inspected the rear, but not up closer to the DP.

It is a Zero torque time. only when the car is coming to a stop .... 5-0mph. Or when I BARELY touch the throttle from 0-5mph.

Could it be something came loose inside the DP or exhaust and only happens after it heat up a bit?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
If it's temp dependant, and cold outside, maybe thermal expansion connected

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
is your DP catted? I once burned up part of my cat at the track, and pieces of it broke off and ended up inside the muffler, where they'd occasionally rattle.