GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can't figure out this...about to take to the shop... help please

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
I've read some reports of fuel lines under the car rattling, but not in such restricted specific circumstances as you describe.

TroyI

Ready to race!
DP is catted. If something fell off the catted part of the DP and got into the muffler, what is the remedy? New Exhaust or muffler?

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
DP is catted. If something fell off the catted part of the DP and got into the muffler, what is the remedy? New Exhaust or muffler?

Remove the muffler and see if you can shake any pieces out of it. If it is parts of the cat, then you'd probably want to remove the DP and clear out anything else that's left in there. Then you can put it all back, and should be fine.

But maybe get some data logs done to see what kind of AFR's you are seeing in boost. Sounds like you could be running hot (if you find out you are actually burning up the cat).

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Remove the muffler and see if you can shake any pieces out of it. If it is parts of the cat, then you'd probably want to remove the DP and clear out anything else that's left in there. Then you can put it all back, and should be fine.

But maybe get some data logs done to see what kind of AFR's you are seeing in boost. Sounds like you could be running hot (if you find out you are actually burning up the cat).

First thing I would check is heat shields around the downpipe. I've heard some aftermarket downpipes can vibrate against a heat shield. If it's not that, take the stock exhaust off and shake it to see if anything falls out or rattles around.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I once had a couple of cats glow red hot (V8 dual exhaust setup) after a night at the drag strip. On the drive home sounded like I had rocks in my exhaust. Took it to the shop the following Monday and they finished clearing out what remained. Basically ran with gutted cats for a while until I switched to another exhaust setup.
It also used to be common in the WRX community to gut the cat in your downpipe- it was a poor man’s way to Stage 2!

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
First thing I would check is heat shields around the downpipe. I've heard some aftermarket downpipes can vibrate against a heat shield. If it's not that, take the stock exhaust off and shake it to see if anything falls out or rattles around.

Shoot.... Quick flashlight will clear that up...my Baun DP has like 2"+ clearance on every side

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Shoot.... Quick flashlight will clear that up...my Baun DP has like 2"+ clearance on every side
Helps to have a fellow enthusiast designing and making these parts for our cars. He has to deal with them on his personal car so you know they're gonna be a quality fit!

TroyI

Ready to race!
Hi all. I thought I would post up what had happened. The entire exhaust had slipped back about 1/2 inch and was barely touching my hitch. After the car warmed up a bit and the exhaust expanded, it started rattling on the hitch. Thanks for all your help. I'm so glad it wasn't anything big.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I would haven't guessed that at all.....1/2" slippage? wow....might want to check your hangers.