GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Canoe on a 2019 GTI Autobahn?

deaddog

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm looking at getting the OEM roof rack to carry a 13' canoe. I see the OEM kayak carrier (Part # 1K0-071-127-A) but nothing that is canoe specific. Anybody have any experience putting a canoe on the OEM kayak carrier? Or using any other options to put a canoe on their GTI ?
Thanks

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I would just strap it to the oem roof rack. get some type of rope/strap attachments that fit into the t slots.

never did this but the rack is decent strength and I'm simple and cheap. Some pipe insulation on cross bars eliminates sliding and scratching.

deaddog

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks - but as this is my first experience hauling a canoe and its on my pristine 2019 GTI, I'm willing to pony up a few bucks to minimize the possibility of any situation that could damage the car (or the canoe or the guy driving behind me!).

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
How far do you plan to go with that monstrosity strapped to the roof lol? That’s a big and heavy piece. I’d be worried as hell. Definitely post some photos if you get it secured.

deaddog

Passed Driver's Ed
The canoe I'm looking at weighs 45 lbs. That's about the same as two decent bikes, which I think would be fine on top of the GTI. Now, the weight distribution is different but I'm hoping it works - any specific reason (other than the visual of the overhang) that you think it won't

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
only thing would be wind.....one thing to always do is re-tighten straps after 10 minutes. I have also seen people make wood blocks that attach to racks that the canoe will notch into. I still would just get a set of T slot eye bolts and some ratchet straps and go for it. Just be sure to do a test drive to check it out and re-tighten straps. If you want to spend $ they do sell items like this:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/470...lsrc=aw.ds&SN3=FindabilityProd05_Search&SS3=B
I would look into this style before just randomly buying it. But it is a fancier option than just DIY

Litespeedgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG
I may be in the same boat ( sorry!) as I want a Kayak. My 2019 doesn't have a sunroof so maybe there's more metal stability. Possible that the max roof top weight is around 100 lbs. You might research it.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
and only because you mentioned "looking" if you haven't bought canoe I've had both and I prefer Kayaks....also easier to go out/load by yourself.

I have 2 (Me and Mrs Mud) I use truck for them cause just toss in bed

deaddog

Passed Driver's Ed
thanks, all good info (particularly the hatch being blocked - so I avoid the "stoner" moment!). As for canoe vs kayak, I'm leaning canoe for 2 reasons - most importantly, I'm old and being able to switch positions - sitting, kneeling - makes it way more comfortable, even vs a SOT kayak. And, second, at my price point, canoes tend to be quite a bit lighter than kayaks - like 45 lbs vs 60-70+ lbs. The lighter kayaks tend to be crazy expensive

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
thanks, all good info (particularly the hatch being blocked - so I avoid the "stoner" moment!). As for canoe vs kayak, I'm leaning canoe for 2 reasons - most importantly, I'm old and being able to switch positions - sitting, kneeling - makes it way more comfortable, even vs a SOT kayak. And, second, at my price point, canoes tend to be quite a bit lighter than kayaks - like 45 lbs vs 60-70+ lbs. The lighter kayaks tend to be crazy expensive

I've been mulling around the idea of a roof rack and a canoe for this car for a couple of years now.
Some years back, a couple of guys on this forum were using roof racks with canoes.
I never sprung for one because my work week left too little time off - that it just wasn't worth it.
I just retired last month, so I'm thinking about it again, and there's a really nice reservoir (Manasquan Reservoir) just a couple of miles from my house.
I prefer canoes over kayaks as well.
Largely because you can really get moving in a canoe.
I grew up near a large pond/small lake, and one of my friends had a canoe when we were in our teens so I'm partial to them.
We'd go out and fish in it, charge across the ice and break it up when it started to thaw, and generally tear around the pond like maniacs.