GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Canadian Golf R's

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I have a buddy who is going to check out a 2017 R. The was sold and spent its life up in Canada (history looks like Ontario, specifically), before making its way through the auction system and ending up for sale in the US. The first thing that jumped out to me, was the car has the tinted LED tails. Also, it has the 8" matte screen installed vs. the 6.5". I know those options weren't available on US R's, but don't know about ones that were sold in Canada. Were those standard options up there? Just trying to gauge how much the car might have been modified.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
MY17 Golf R up here had a "Technology Package" option with the upgraded display, the Euro taillights did not come standard.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Thanks

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I would check the ceiling near the top of the rear gate for any water damage; also check the two top grommets leading to the gate. If those are aftermarket Euro-tails then chances are the installer may have removed those grommets following ShopDap's instructions and permanently damaged the clips on the grommets resulting in water leak.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Hate to derail. But can you actually import a Canadian car into the US

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
So could you import an R34 GTR from Canada since they have a 15 year rule? Or does it have to be a car that was sold in the US

Lager_Ace

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I would check the ceiling near the top of the rear gate for any water damage; also check the two top grommets leading to the gate. If those are aftermarket Euro-tails then chances are the installer may have removed those grommets following ShopDap's instructions and permanently damaged the clips on the grommets resulting in water leak.
Yes, Good tip to check (y)

Rrrrrmatey

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R
So could you import an R34 GTR from Canada since they have a 15 year rule? Or does it have to be a car that was sold in the US

I‘m not in any way qualified to answer that, but that’s never stopped me before! RennWorks’ link is reflective of my experience...keep in mind these are cars which qualify as being identical/substantially similar to ones being sold in the US market.

With regard to the R34...my understanding is that would be the same as trying to import an R34 directly from Japan in most ways - you still need to comply with all relevant federal regulation, so while you could do it, it would be crazy expensive to do legally (either you wait for the 25 year mark, import it for show & display, or pay to have it tested to show it complies with all US standards)...or you can also ‘settle’ for an R32 Skyline GTR instead ;)

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I‘m not in any way qualified to answer that, but that’s never stopped me before! RennWorks’ link is reflective of my experience...keep in mind these are cars which qualify as being identical/substantially similar to ones being sold in the US market.

With regard to the R34...my understanding is that would be the same as trying to import an R34 directly from Japan in most ways - you still need to comply with all relevant federal regulation, so while you could do it, it would be crazy expensive to do legally (either you wait for the 25 year mark, import it for show & display, or pay to have it tested to show it complies with all US standards)...or you can also ‘settle’ for an R32 Skyline GTR instead ;)

Yeah, after reading that link, realized that it's more involved. I guess key thing is getting a letter from manufacturer that the car you're importing is compliant with safety and emissions regulations. That can't be easy to get as I'm sure manufacturers don't want that liability. Maybe for a Golf R that's probably identical, it's possible, but the hypothetical R34, not likely.