GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

Can you tell if the turbo has been swapped from these pictures?

munkey

Ready to race!
Well if there was a pic OF the turbo, it would help. Seeing that the heat shield is there, I'm guessing no
Thanks. Yeah I wasn't sure if there's was some telltale mod that goes with the swap.

What's with the little breather filter next to the intake?

Most likely it's apr stage 1 or 2 max.

munkey

Ready to race!
Do you know where the turbo is? (serious question)
Haha yes. My question was really if there are other signs of mods more serious than just an intake that you can see from the top of the motor. Like maybe a certain intake is used for stage 3 only, etc. I've only just started looking at these cars so I'm not sure what to look for.

The Butcher

Drag Race Newbie
NEVER would I buy a car with mods. Probably abused. Nice hot air intake by the way.
Agreed, don't deal with someone else's abuse.

I got an R53 Cooper S JCW for a steal a while ago. Upgraded pulley, stage 2 clutch, tune etc. That car was in the shop literally every few weeks. After 2 years, piston shot out the block and the car was engulfed in flames.

After that, I'll never buy a used modified car again.

munkey

Ready to race!
Agreed, don't deal with someone else's abuse.

I got an R53 Cooper S JCW for a steal a while ago. Upgraded pulley, stage 2 clutch, tune etc. That car was in the shop literally every few weeks. After 2 years, piston shot out the block and the car was engulfed in flames.

After that, I'll never buy a used modified car again.
Yeah I'm a bit concerned. It's a solid deal and it has an apr bumper badge so if it's just a stage 1 with neuspeed intake, not bad. I just want the car for 2 years or so and I'll sell it and my local dealer is fairly mod friendly so I'll consider it.

The Butcher

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah I'm a bit concerned. It's a solid deal and it has an apr bumper badge so if it's just a stage 1 with neuspeed intake, not bad. I just want the car for 2 years or so and I'll sell it and my local dealer is fairly mod friendly so I'll consider it.
My Mini had just a stage 2 tune. Don't buy a car that has had ANY tune. 9/10 times the former owner beat the piss out of it. Especially owners with a hot air intake.

munkey

Ready to race!
My Mini had just a stage 2 tune. Don't buy a car that has had ANY tune. 9/10 times the former owner beat the piss out of it. Especially owners with a hot air intake.
I plan on doing a stage 1 apr tune anyway, and it's a dsg and still under a lot of warranty.

In general I totally agree with you and this car in particular looks like it may have been driven hard. If it was local I would feel much better but it's several hundred miles away.

You're probably right though.

The Butcher

Drag Race Newbie
I plan on doing a stage 1 apr tune anyway, and it's a dsg and still under a lot of warranty.

In general I totally agree with you and this car in particular looks like it may have been driven hard. If it was local I would feel much better but it's several hundred miles away.

You're probably right though.
Don't count on the warranty for engine and trans repairs if you're tuned. Google VW TD1 Flag. Long story short, if your engine and trans fails and you're tuned, VW Corporate will likely deny any warranty repairs. If it's a third party warranty, it's a coin toss.

That being said, I tuned my GLI APR stage 1 ecu/dsg tune at 1100 miles knowing that. But every mile is driven by ME. I don't beat up my car, so the risk is a lot less.

Just think smart. Unless you're paying in full, you'll be paying the car off for 5 years most likely. If you blow the engine due to the former owner being an entitled 18 year old showing off to his tinder date, add $5-10,000 to your budget.

Paranoid? Yes, but I like sleeping well at night.

jay745

track sl00t
Ride
2 vw's
I truly do wonder what most people think "abused" means.

I'd personally much rather buy a used car that was driven hard vs a car that was granny'ed until 80k miles.

Now, a car that was truly abused on a track or something that's different. Most dudes with an intake and a tune never drive it on a track..

El_bigote_AJ

Go Kart Newbie
I truly do wonder what most people think "abused" means.

I'd personally much rather buy a used car that was driven hard vs a car that was granny'ed until 80k miles.

Now, a car that was truly abused on a track or something that's different. Most dudes with an intake and a tune never drive it on a track..
The answer to your first question would usually be best answered not by the person typing it on the internet but by the person who said it once before “modded car = abused” and they read it and now regurgitate it.

the whole hot air intake bit is hilarious like a persons driving style would be directly connected to thier decision to purchase an open intake.

I have first hand knowledge of the temp difference between a open intake (IE) and a closed system (stock & Neuspeed) and not by ways of “it felt different” but actually being able to see
The IAT differences in logs and in real time . It’s literally a 4-6 degree delta... the turbo generates so much heat anyways it’s not a HUGE deal between the two.
For me personally I prefer the closed but surely I don’t think open “HOT” is something massively detrimental to a FI car. Maybe on a natural aspirated car it’s bigger.