GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can you fender roll with at home tools?

Benjimk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Non-PP
Hi all,

Installed my VWR springs yesterday and on my drive to work today I went over a couple of bumps which I heard some scraping (not from the undercarriage I presume), and I’m suspecting my tires rubbing on the inner fenders.

Currently running 235/40/r18 BF Goodrich g-force Comp 2 tires which are pretty dang square. Wheels are motegi mr148 cs13 18x8.5 et42. Seems like the tires are rubbing the fender screw that is at about 12 o clock.

I figured I could just fender roll the front, if I can find out how? Or just take out the wheel well liners and push back that tab so it doesn’t rub? Just scaring me with the sound it makes, as I’m not used to my cars making unexpected noises.

If someone has any tips/tricks etc that could help me out. Keep in mind I have not yet got an alignment as I wanted to give the springs a 100 miles or so to let them settle.

Thanks! Have attached pictures to show my wheels/tires. Pic from above the wheel isn’t perfectly straight so the toe is hanging a little further out.

Attachments

• 24752F5B-D9F7-489E-B99B-FF078B7FA766.jpeg
    24752F5B-D9F7-489E-B99B-FF078B7FA766.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 131
  • D3142126-A735-4574-A60C-2A4092F19818.jpeg
    D3142126-A735-4574-A60C-2A4092F19818.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
back in the day, there was the "baseball bat" method that a lot of people used. I'm sure there are a few videos on youtube you can watch to show how it's done. it does work, but you definitely have more room for error and can mess up your fenders if you do it wrong. and you still should heat up the paint so it doesn't crack.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Get an alignment. That is NOT an aggressive fitment, and many are riding on wider tires with more aggressive offsets with no rub. Beyond that, it's typically just the fender screw hitting. Search for "fender screw mod".

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Get an alignment. That is NOT an aggressive fitment, and many are riding on wider tires with more aggressive offsets with no rub. Beyond that, it's typically just the fender screw hitting. Search for "fender screw mod".
This is 100% accurate to your situation.

I rolled my fronts and pulled my rears for my fitment as its actually aggressive, but I can tell you the issue on these cars in the front cannot be solved by common rolling, the clearance is at the front of the fender where it’s mounts to the bumper when trying to fit aggressive wheels and tires with a low stance. I have to cut and modify lots of material at the front of the fenders to get min to fit and still had to run -5.2 degrees up front, in the end my best course of action was just to get widened fenders- lol.

Benjimk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Non-PP
So, fender screw mod and then get an alignment and I should be set? I appreciate the help! I kinda freaked out when it rubbed the first time.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Baseball bat, skateboard, phone book. Or be legit and buy an actual fender roller.

However as stated an alignment and the fender screw mod should do the trick.
Just hang in there for those 100 miles, you aren't really damaging anything even if it sounds like you are.