GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can the dealership reprogram the maintenance interval reminder to 5,000 miles?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I know I can do this with OBD11, but don't want to buy it just for that. If the dealership can do it at my next maintenance appointment, that would be nice.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
So, pay the dealership for 1 hr service of $84, when you can buy an OBDEleven for a little more and be able to customize more than your maintenance interval?

If it can be done with OBDEleven, they can do it... not the same as they will do it though.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
So, pay the dealership for 1 hr service of $84, when you can buy an OBDEleven for a little more and be able to customize more than your maintenance interval?

If it can be done with OBDEleven, they can do it... not the same as they will do it though.
No, I'm not suggesting a special trip just for that LOL. I'm talking about asking them to do it when I'm already in for something. Of course I wouldn't pay for that.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
No, I'm not suggesting a special trip just for that LOL. I'm talking about asking them to do it when I'm already in for something. Of course I wouldn't pay for that.
Dealerships don't do anything for free... hell, some of them even charge you shop hours for recalls if you're not the original owner of the car and it is not a "safety" recall. You just got a freebie tuned car, you can use OBDEleven to change parameters to get more out of it. XDS, brake performance, change the ESC profile, etc... well worth the $110 for the pro version. Too bad they made it into a subscription for new buyers, so you have 12 mo subscription to do all your changes, if you want to keep it longer you have to pay monthly.

In my car, I couldn't reset my oil change with the 0.0 button. I did it a few times, it stated that it was reset. Yet the remainder kept coming up the next time I turned the car on. I reset it with OBDEleven and it's good now. Saved me a trip to the dealership, which meant taking the tune out of my car, and wasting hours waiting for the car...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Dealerships don't do anything for free... hell, some of them even charge you shop hours for recalls if you're not the original owner of the car and it is not a "safety" recall. You just got a freebie tuned car, you can use OBDEleven to change parameters to get more out of it. XDS, brake performance, change the ESC profile, etc... well worth the $110 for the pro version. Too bad they made it into a subscription for new buyers, so you have 12 mo subscription to do all your changes, if you want to keep it longer you have to pay monthly.

In my car, I couldn't reset my oil change with the 0.0 button. I did it a few times, it stated that it was reset. Yet the remainder kept coming up the next time I turned the car on. I reset it with OBDEleven and it's good now. Saved me a trip to the dealership, which meant taking the tune out of my car, and wasting hours waiting for the car...
It wouldn't have mattered if you took the tune out of your car. They can still tell the ECU has been flashed. And with @mrmattolsen the dealer is the one who tuned his car so it's not a problem.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
you can use OBDEleven to change parameters to get more out of it. XDS, brake performance, change the ESC profile, etc... well worth the $110 for the pro version. Too bad they made it into a subscription for new buyers, so you have 12 mo subscription to do all your changes, if you want to keep it longer you have to pay monthly.
Fair point. Probably worth it.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
It wouldn't have mattered if you took the tune out of your car. They can still tell the ECU has been flashed. And with @mrmattolsen the dealer is the one who tuned his car so it's not a problem.
Not saying that he has an issue with the car being tuned, as it was dealer installed... while they can see that the car was "altered" they can't tell what was done to it. VAG is a little less paranoid when it comes to that to certain extent. GM, on the other hand, is getting stupid about it. LT1 ECU and above record every instance on their memory, and like on the LS series, the tuner can't over-write it.

I never had an issue taking my VW, or my cousin taking his Audi to the dealership after removing the tune. Yet we know of co-workers that didn't remove the tune (APR) and were flagged. I'm in San Antonio, the closest APR at that time was in Austin, my cousin will make an appointment at the dealership there, stop at APR to remove the tune, then stop on the way back to re-install it. I have COBB, so it is easier for me.

But the intent of my post was to express that in my opinion, and experience, the OBDEleven dongle was well worth the price. And I have a 7.5, which have less tweaks than the 7.

One of the many threads on MK7 coding.
https://forum.obdeleven.com/thread/1928/golf-mk7-facelift-coding-adaptions

Cupra280 KB website.
http://cupra280.co.uk/obd11.html

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Not saying that he has an issue with the car being tuned, as it was dealer installed... while they can see that the car was "altered" they can't tell what was done to it. VAG is a little less paranoid when it comes to that to certain extent. GM, on the other hand, is getting stupid about it. LT1 ECU and above record every instance on their memory, and like on the LS series, the tuner can't over-write it.

I never had an issue taking my VW, or my cousin taking his Audi to the dealership after removing the tune. Yet we know of co-workers that didn't remove the tune (APR) and were flagged. I'm in San Antonio, the closest APR at that time was in Austin, my cousin will make an appointment at the dealership there, stop at APR to remove the tune, then stop on the way back to re-install it. I have COBB, so it is easier for me.

But the intent of my post was to express that in my opinion, and experience, the OBDEleven dongle was well worth the price. And I have a 7.5, which have less tweaks than the 7.
The ECU counts how many times it's been flashed in a VW. It depends on what you're going to the dealer for. My dealer warranted my thermostat housing and I didn't remove the tune.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
The ECU counts how many times it's been flashed in a VW. It depends on what you're going to the dealer for. My dealer warranted my thermostat housing and I didn't remove the tune.
Agreed... but I think this also depends on the dealership. My GTO, Camaro, and Silverado were tuned by HPT in New Braunfels, I took them for service or warranty work at the New Braunfels Chevy dealership because they have a good relationship. I wouldn't even think about taking them into the closest one here in SA. Same with my 2020 Camaro 1LE, I bought it while I was working for the dealership as a salesman. I took it there as I knew the techs...

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
... Of course I wouldn't pay for that.
Why would you think they should work for free? Techs get paid per job, not by the hour. Would you work for free?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Why would you think they should work for free? Techs get paid per job, not by the hour. Would you work for free?
So you revived this old stale thread to take my quote out of context and berate me? What a weird thing to do.

But since you asked, I’m happy to clarify my position for you. I was saying I wouldn’t make a special trip and pay an hour of labor just for that.

LMAO… Anyways, great chat. Nice to meet ya.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Old thread is old... but are VW techs getting paid per job? Are they independent contractors and not employees? Asking because I honestly have no idea.

In my career as an aircraft technician not once have I ever worked at a place where I got paid per job. No way I'm coming to work at a repair center/auto shop and hoping that enough customers drop off cars for me to work on so I can get paid. Granted there's a captive customer base at the dealer (with cars under warranty and people that don't work on their car), it's still the shop's job to attract and then perform work to a level that brings in more work. Ideally too much work but at least enough work to keep the techs busy.

When not troubleshooting the shop charges "book time" for most tasks which is the benefit of having good techs that can get the work done quicker. A tech that does a 4 hour job in 3 hours is bolstering your margins. The flipside is that (if the shop supervisor's priorities are questionable) customers begin to suffer when techs take too long (for whatever reason) because the shop isn't getting any more money if a 4 hour job takes 6 hours. The only part of my various technician jobs that was "paid per job" is that if I wasn't getting the job(s) done I would no longer be employed (get paid).

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Old thread is old... but are VW techs getting paid per job? Are they independent contractors and not employees? Asking because I honestly have no idea.

In my career as an aircraft technician not once have I ever worked at a place where I got paid per job. No way I'm coming to work at a repair center/auto shop and hoping that enough customers drop off cars for me to work on so I can get paid. Granted there's a captive customer base at the dealer (with cars under warranty and people that don't work on their car), it's still the shop's job to attract and then perform work to a level that brings in more work. Ideally too much work but at least enough work to keep the techs busy.

When not troubleshooting the shop charges "book time" for most tasks which is the benefit of having good techs that can get the work done quicker. A tech that does a 4 hour job in 3 hours is bolstering your margins. The flipside is that (if the shop supervisor's priorities are questionable) customers begin to suffer when techs take too long (for whatever reason) because the shop isn't getting any more money if a 4 hour job takes 6 hours. The only part of my various technician jobs that was "paid per job" is that if I wasn't getting the job(s) done I would no longer be employed (get paid).
You’re correct in your estimations. Thing is, flat-rate in its inception was lucrative for customer, shop, and tech. In the days that most cars had regular maintenance that required a good amount of work, think plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv, etc…every 30,60, 90k the tech would only need to sell a couple of those a day and be good.

Now fast forward. Service intervals have become pretty much non existent. Cars more reliable, warranties longer and systems more complicated. Many of the older techs haven’t kept up with changing times and are getting left behind. If you’re not proficient in electrical you’re going to get hurt. You need to able to swing with warranty to work to survive. It’s a deprecated system that needs to go away especially with EVs so close to becoming the norm. I’m hoping to be out before that’s an issue.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
So you revived this old stale thread to take my quote out of context and berate me? What a weird thing to do.

But since you asked, I’m happy to clarify my position for you. I was saying I wouldn’t make a special trip and pay an hour of labor just for that.

LMAO… Anyways, great chat. Nice to meet ya
I know, i can read. My point still stands. Do you expect them to work for free. Just do you a favor. Would a plumber fix one sink and just because he is there fix the other one? No.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I know, i can read. My point still stands. Do you expect them to work for free. Just do you a favor. Would a plumber fix one sink and just because he is there fix the other one? No.
No. At no point did I ask anyone to work for free or expect them to