GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can someone explain the MK7.5 and 7.5’s pcv magic?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I’m able to get bits and pieces here and there when I google but I’m still left wanting for more information.

Is that round thing on to of the motor (American driver side) an air oil separator? If not, how is it that the valves don’t get gunky?

I read the mishi blog posts when they were creating a catch can and failed to really get anything in it. So I wonder, if the stock system is so good why do folks remove it and put in catch cans?

thanks!

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Type
In catch can in the search- you’ll find a plethora of thread on it here.

Cliff notes Of this thread:

Jimloyd - will swear by it up and down

Many members - will swear it don’t work and advise YOU how to spend YOUR money

Jerseydrew - will tell you unless you’re a big boy and make over 31psi you don’t need it

Engineer members - will get into a debate on who’s armchair is faster

Diggs - will tell you to part the car out

2sloww - will come lock the thread

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’m able to get bits and pieces here and there when I google but I’m still left wanting for more information.

Is that round thing on to of the motor (American driver side) an air oil separator? If not, how is it that the valves don’t get gunky?

I read the mishi blog posts when they were creating a catch can and failed to really get anything in it. So I wonder, if the stock system is so good why do folks remove it and put in catch cans?

thanks!

The valves do get gunky "carbon".

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Type

Jimloyd - will sweat by it up and down

Jerseydrew - will tell you unless you’re a big boy and make over 31psi you don’t need it

I did search here but I can’t seem to find info on what the round thing is and how it works. I swear it looks like an air oil separator

and yeah man. What a contested topic it is! Holy crap

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I put a catch can in due to extreme cornering loads dumping a lot of oil in the intake. On the street, nothing goes in the catch can.
That makes sense. In the past I’d dump my catch can after every track day. In the winter I did it every 1k miles due to condensation

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

thanks!

The valves do get gunky "carbon"
I put a catch can in due to extreme cornering loads dumping a lot of oil in the intake. On the street, nothing goes in the catch can.

I get about 1 ounce of blowby in my catch can per every 1000 street driven miles.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
The valves do get gunky "carbon"

I get about 1 ounce of blowby in my catch can per every 1000 street driven miles.
But you also deleted the round thingy right? Wth is that exactly? And I wonder, would it have been impossible for you to put the catch can in line with that round thing?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
But you also deleted the round thingy right? Wth is that exactly? And I wonder, would it have been impossible for you to put the catch can in line with that round thing?

The Spulen OCC does delete the factory PCV valve but it basically still serves the same function except that the liquids (blowby) are diverted to the catch can and the vapor is still funneled into the intake manifold.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
The Spulen OCC does delete the factory PCV valve but it basically still serves the same function except that the liquids (blowby) are diverted to the catch can and the vapor is still funneled into the intake manifold.
I see. What is the round thingy exactly? It looks like an air oil separator to me.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Oh jeez not again.

How many times do we have to tell Jimbo that the stock pcv performs as good or better than his $600 pcv that puts the stuff in a can versus back in the oil pan?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Oh jeez not again.

How many times do we have to tell Jimbo that the stock pcv performs as good or better than his $600 pcv that puts the stuff in a can versus back in the oil pan?

I'll never believe it so please don't waste your time. I don't want that black gunk back in my oil pan. If you like it so much and think it's fine I have a big coffee can full of it that I could send to you to put in your oil.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
This is what the entire PCV plate looks like from the bottom.

IMG_3686 (2).JPEG

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Type

Jimloyd - will swear by it up and down

You forgot:

Jimloyd and GTIfan99 will draw pistols and walk paces.....

swcrow eats popcorn and stokes fire