GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can filter be changed without draining oil first?

Tallman1024

I want to replace the oil filter housing with a billet aluminum one, but don't want to wait until my next oil change as my car only has 500 miles on it. Does the oil drain out after the car has been sitting? I don't want to unscrew the housing and have a mess to clean up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swoope

Ready to race!
I want to replace the oil filter housing with a billet aluminum one, but don't want to wait until my next oil change as my car only has 500 miles on it. Does the oil drain out after the car has been sitting? I don't want to unscrew the housing and have a mess to clean up.

yes,

do it cold.

beers

paulkromz

Drag Racing Champion
please report back

Tallman1024

Did cold. Was easy. Just unscrew then slowly pull out. Let it rest on inlet a minute to drain any residual oil in filter. Put a towel around the side of the base , but nothing spilled. Here's a picture of the new USP Motorsports billet housing installed.

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
Tallman1024, thanks for that picture.
The new oil canister looks great.
But I don't think they are available here in England.
I'd be interested to know if you had to take the plastic engine cover off to remove/replace the canister?

Leopold

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Just unscrew the housing until its about to come off and let is sit for a few minutes. Oil drains into the pan and no mess.

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
Just unscrew the housing until its about to come off and let is sit for a few minutes. Oil drains into the pan and no mess.

russiankid, thanks for that tip. That's really encouraging.
In case Tallman1024 does not see my query, do you or the others know if that engine cover has to come off? If so, is it a difficult job to get it off, and to get it back on again!

Leopold

It isn't even relevant if you had to take the cover off, since it's less than 2 s of labour.
Though, why do you think it needs to taken off at all? You can view the oil filter housing
entirely with the engine cover still in place.

EDIT: Diggs has been quicker