GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can anybodt shift this @#*! thing smoothly?

Unreal1

Autocross Champion
Like I said, you can easily shift the car with out the clutch and rev matching. I'd be curious if those that are complaining about rev hang have driven another direct injection, turbo charged car with a dual mass fly wheel or are you comparing it to a port injection, naturally aspirated car with a single mass fly wheel? I mean, sure, the GTI isn't an S54 with a ten pound flywheel, but it's not that different than a similar DI, turbo motor.

Coming from a Fiesta ST (dual mass, turbo, etc), there's less rev hang on the GTI, but I found the ST clutch and transmission far easier to shift smoothly. The GTI requires a lot more precision in comparison.

Unreal1

Autocross Champion
I know I keep beating a dead horse here. But, I have to say the more I get used to this clutch/transmission, the more I fall in love with it. It's weird at first, but once you get used to it's quirks it's incredibly smooth and will shift fast. I personally found that I was shifting too slowly initially (taking too long to get the clutch re-engaged between shifts) and I also wasn't building up enough revs coming out of first.