GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can anybodt shift this @#*! thing smoothly?

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
So is there any artificial rev hang on this car that's tuned in by VW to make it easier to shift for noobs? Or is it 100% the fault of the dual mass flywheel and and gear ratios?

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
So is there any artificial rev hang on this car that's tuned in by VW to make it easier to shift for noobs? Or is it 100% the fault of the dual mass flywheel and and gear ratios?

DMFW, gear ratio, pedal spring, and delay valve all play a part, but the throttle is set to be incrementally controlled over time instead of directly controlled by pedal position. The thread that I linked has more info on it.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Can anyone say if a lightweight flywheel has made the 1>2 shift quicker and smoother? Since there's such a huge difference in gear ratio, having it rev down quicker should help out with this, right? Accelerating from a stop is the worst thing about this car and if a lightweight flywheel will help speed up this shift I'm all for it.

Don't have lightweight flywheel experience personally, but yes it would make revs drop quicker. Wouldn't necessarily make the 1-2 shift smoother. In fact part of the purpose of a DMF is to dampen so getting rid of that might make it even trickier to be smooth. But it would definitely make that shift faster.

It definitely makes a difference. Another thing to try is the throttle mod coding: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32578&highlight=direct

+1 to "throttle mod" coding. I have noticed revs drop quicker and more consistently after this mod. Before it seemed like there was a lag between getting on the pedal and actual throttle application. As well as getting off the pedal and actual throttle close. Now both actions seem more instant and linear. I agree 100% with euroadb about how it feels accelerating from a stop in the lower gears. This mod helps that lower gear drivability in my opinion.

I've always thought so but other "experts" on the forums have told me no. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can weigh in. Idk if it's to help noob drivers per say but throttle could close late on pedal lift off for emissions or other purposes. Who knows. But do as Reggie says and try the throttle mod. I am betting you will like it. To me it proves there wasn't instant throttle closure before and therefore some built-in rev hang. Either that or it's all in my head. :D

But to answer your other question, I think it's mostly the gear ratios.

wave

Ready to race!
As others have said, getting a new clutch stop helps, but with the stock clutch/flywheel setup, a quick 1 to 2 shift is rarely smooth in this car.
I have heard that will change with the stage 2 clutch and lightweight single mass flywheel I will be trying, but otherwise, Yes, we know exactly what the problem is.

I've also had manual cars for 17 years, and this is the worst gearbox/clutch package by a long shot.

I've had my manual transmission 2016 GTI S w/performance for a month now, have been a manual transmission driver for 26 years, and did the bleeder block restriction delete. But I still can't consistently do a smooth 1 -> 2 shift without either an annoying judder or some clutch burn depending on if I engage it too fast or too slowly.

Is anyone else having this problem? I don't know if it's because there is so little clutch feel, or excessive clutch travel, or soft motor mounts, or there is something wrong with my car, or :confused:.

I love the car overall, but I'm getting more and more frustrated with this. Not a problem I've ever had before :(

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I've had no issues with smooth shifting. The gearing, however, is frustratingly tall.

I can't stand the MT gearing :( My MK6 gearing was utterly perfect. Netted me incredible (27+) around town gas mileage as well. I don't need all the power in the world. These engines honestly put out enough power for me as-is, but the gearing on both the MTs and DSGs just neuters it. Excited for the narrower box on the Alltrack

BaronGTI68

Passed Driver's Ed
I blame virtually everything on drive-by-wire throttles, but I'm an old guy who learned driving a manual transmission on a '55 Ford pickup with a column-mounted 3-speed. The other thing is the friction point of the clutch which is, at least on mind, virtually indistinguishable.

Once rolling I'm as smooth in my GTI as any car I've ever owned but from a standing start, forget it, as much as I practice. Sad to say I even produce the sauerkraut smell on occasion when starting on a hill...

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
Its all about waiting on the rev hang with this car. I can shift pretty smooth now, with the TTRS clutch, MOTUL Gear 300 oil and ECS bleeder block. When the car is cold I shift really low (2000 rpm), and when its warmed up and going from 1-2 I give it up to 4500-5000 and then let her drop to 3K before i shift into second. Smooth as butter. Clutch engages just right.

Took me 2 years to get it right though...

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Kind of related question..when in traffic between 7-12mph are you all typically in 1st or 2nd? I'll either be in first or put it in 1st around 7mph but the car doesn't seem to like it as it lurches forward a bit. But if I start in 2nd or put it in 2nd, then the engine feels like its lugging. Newb tips appreciated!

BaronGTI68

Passed Driver's Ed
Kind of related question..when in traffic between 7-12mph are you all typically in 1st or 2nd? I'll either be in first or put it in 1st around 7mph but the car doesn't seem to like it as it lurches forward a bit. But if I start in 2nd or put it in 2nd, then the engine feels like its lugging. Newb tips appreciated!

I generally err on the side of being in a lower gear; just the thought of lugging an engine gives me a shudder. The trick is to just keep a steady pressure on the throttle in first and don't abruptly lift so as to prevent lurches. In traffic, say approaching a stop sign with traffic in queue, I'm usually holding back in first, throwing in the clutch as needed.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
I generally err on the side of being in a lower gear; just the thought of lugging an engine gives me a shudder. The trick is to just keep a steady pressure on the throttle in first and don't abruptly lift so as to prevent lurches. In traffic, say approaching a stop sign with traffic in queue, I'm usually holding back in first, throwing in the clutch as needed.

What if you clutched-in while coming to a stop and around 7mph, traffic starts moving? Would you change to 2nd? Or just gently get off the clutch and stay in 1st?

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie

Up to 10mph I use first, beyond that I will use 2nd. I can also use 2nd at around 1k rpm if I am just lightly rolling with traffic. If I go back down to first, its under 10mph. To acquire a smooth 2nd to first shift, you need to bring the RPM's up to where first would be for that speed, otherwise you will get the "lurching" effect.

What if you clutched-in while coming to a stop and around 7mph, traffic starts moving? Would you change to 2nd? Or just gently get off the clutch and stay in 1st?

In this case, I would remain in first but blip the throttle and at the same time release the clutch to basically play catch up of engine speed and vehicle speed to sync them together.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Up to 10mph I use first, beyond that I will use 2nd. I can also use 2nd at around 1k rpm if I am just lightly rolling with traffic. If I go back down to first, its under 10mph. To acquire a smooth 2nd to first shift, you need to bring the RPM's up to where first would be for that speed, otherwise you will get the "lurching" effect.

In this case, I would remain in first but blip the throttle and at the same time release the clutch to basically play catch up of engine speed and vehicle speed to sync them together.

got it. thanks for the tips!

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
GTI really doesn't care for slow rolling in 2nd. I once stalled it going into a parking spot in second, surprising, but I figured out what not to do pretty quick.

To me it was strange to downshift back to 1st but that is definitely the low speed call with this gearbox. It lugs almost immediately if you coast too far in 2nd and then try to get back on it without downshifting.

That's my experience anyway :p

ghost_03

Ready to race!
Its all about waiting on the rev hang with this car.

QFT. Once I got the feel for how long to wait for the revs to drop my 1-2 was fine. Its kind of funny because when I switch back to my Mk5 with the shorter 1-2, the first couple shifts I instinctively put in the same amount of pause and end up with a jerky shift because the revs are too low! :D

GTI really doesn't care for slow rolling in 2nd. I once stalled it going into a parking spot in second, surprising, but I figured out what not to do pretty quick.

To me it was strange to downshift back to 1st but that is definitely the low speed call with this gearbox. It lugs almost immediately if you coast too far in 2nd and then try to get back on it without downshifting.

That's my experience anyway :p

Same here, I usually end up going back to 1 in smaller parking lots. I also hesitate to go up to 2nd at low speed when the engine is cold as it seems the idle speed is a bit high yet.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
I couldn’t get a great from stop engagement until I did the ECS bleeder block removal. That thing is golden.

I did the clutch stop as well, it’s like $4. Did dieselgeek short shifter (jay745 install), but it was totally not necessary.

All the complaints remind me of my dad and his audiophile friends talking about sonic qualities from various tube preamps that were $$$. I’m glad I don’t have the finest sensibilities because I love this manual (after the bleeder block removal).

I had an mk6 tdi. Now that thing didn’t love lugging. You’re at 900rpm all good. 899 ENGINE OFF and you had 5 seconds before you could get it moving. Any 6 speed tdi owner knows exactly what I’m talking about.

I’ve driven manual IH scouts, fj60 (great), Honda prelude, mk6tdi, mk7gti, dodge Omni, etc etc etc.

All of them were unique and fun. I’ve never hated even a second in any of these vehicles, can’t believe someone could hate this manual. Even a shit manual is fun to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro