GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can anybodt shift this @#*! thing smoothly?

rdbeer

I've had my manual transmission 2016 GTI S w/performance for a month now, have been a manual transmission driver for 26 years, and did the bleeder block restriction delete. But I still can't consistently do a smooth 1 -> 2 shift without either an annoying judder or some clutch burn depending on if I engage it too fast or too slowly.

Is anyone else having this problem? I don't know if it's because there is so little clutch feel, or excessive clutch travel, or soft motor mounts, or there is something wrong with my car, or :confused:.

I love the car overall, but I'm getting more and more frustrated with this. Not a problem I've ever had before :(

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
It definitely takes some practice to get a smooth shift. I think the issue is even with the bleeder mod, the pressure plate is slow to engage so it can be difficult to get used to. I don't have rough shifting issues, I do occasionally have 2nd-3rd or 3rd-4th shifts be a bit more rough than I'd like it to be I.E. don't feel it at all.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
I don't have any problems with the 1 to 2 shift. The gearing is pretty wide, which makes it awkward sometimes. Have you installed a clutch stop? I did the one from BMS and love the difference.

My last car was super sensitive on the 1 to 2, so I had to learn to finesse it. This one isn't so bad.

iliveoncaffiene

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 718 GT4
I've had my manual transmission 2016 GTI S w/performance for a month now, have been a manual transmission driver for 26 years, and did the bleeder block restriction delete. But I still can't consistently do a smooth 1 -> 2 shift without either an annoying judder or some clutch burn depending on if I engage it too fast or too slowly.

Is anyone else having this problem? I don't know if it's because there is so little clutch feel, or excessive clutch travel, or soft motor mounts, or there is something wrong with my car, or :confused:.

I love the car overall, but I'm getting more and more frustrated with this. Not a problem I've ever had before :(

Somewhat yes. Higher revs in first make it a bit smoother I've found though (I drive a 2016 R but have noticed similar issues with the 1st -> 2nd).
I also like the feel of it a lot more since I upgraded my clutch (which uses a much stronger PP than stock) - so that could have some factors.

Apex02

Maybe I'm wrong but won't a heavyweight shift knob help? I installed a Raceseng Slammer and it really helped. The stock knob was way to light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
Took me a while to get it as well. The notchy 1-2 gearchange is really what ruins it for me. I installed a clutch stop to remove clutch pedal travel and forced myself to be more patient in gearchanges and it helps a lot.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Maybe I'm wrong but won't a heavyweight shift knob help? I installed a Raceseng Slammer and it really helped. The stock knob was way to light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A weighted knob has nothing to do with the smoothness of the shift controlled by the drifter. The weighted knob helps in feel of the shifter, and possible quicker selection of gear, but engagement itself is driver/clutch.

Ghawkins

Ready to race!
I don't have any problems with the 1 to 2 shift. The gearing is pretty wide, which makes it awkward sometimes. Have you installed a clutch stop? I did the one from BMS and love the difference.

My last car was super sensitive on the 1 to 2, so I had to learn to finesse it. This one isn't so bad.

Sounds like you have pride in executing smooth shifts. I agree. The Mk7 has a big ratio gap between 1st and 2nd. Much wider than the ratios on my Mk6. I had to re-learn the process. It does seem to help to bring up the revs some before the 1st to 2nd shift as compared to the rest of the gears. The much higher torque of the Mk7 is what required the ratio change. Been driving MT for 60 years now. Seems like all required an adjustment of technique.

huh0kay

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the same problem with 1-2 shifts. I've done the clutch stop and bleeder mods, which helped a little, but it's far from perfect. I thought maybe the 034 dogbone mount might help but I'm awaiting the v2 revision.

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
I have the same issue as well. But if you shift really high or really low in the RPM range, you will be alright. It just hates 2200-3000 rpm.

CA-GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
The rev hang is outrageous from 2-3k, I absolutely despise it. If I shift at 2k I can do it pretty smoothly, but it's hard to accelerate quickly when shifting at that low of an rpm. I also find it very difficult to get into second gear when shifting quickly at high rpm. Shifting is definitely one of my biggest annoyances with this car.

Matt15GTI

Ready to race!
:(

Last edited:

rdbeer

Good to hear that I'm not alone! Thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

I'll try the BMS clutch stop, I can see that could make it easier to reliably find the clutch engagement point.

Will keep working on it, too. I'm at maybe 90% smooth 1-2 shifts now, it's that last 10% (often under hard acceleration when I'm not paying close attention to the clutch) where I have the problem. Maybe it is a tougher shift than on my MkIV just because this car has far more torque.