GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Camshaft Positioning Sensor Problem / Any advice?

tpa_mk7

Hey everyone,

About a week or so ago my 15´GTI DSG got a check engine light and was diagnosed by the dealer as a Camshaft Positioning Sensor that was bad. Sensor got replaced, and got another CEL last Saturday, went to the dealer Monday and they claimed that the CEL was on again because the sensor was loose. Today, ONE DAY AFTER, CEL comes back. I normally drive the car with the paddles on manual mode, don't really redline it, just normal driving during my commute. Everytime I got the CEL the car hesitated to go to the next gear, and shifts were very sluggish, definitely not DSG fast. (See the video for reference)

Video: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/27iyzs6w5rzgfaq/AAC0N0q7Gvx8jSYFkhuwifEIa?dl=0

Any advice or information would be of great help, thank you!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You had a CEL at the time of the video which could explain it. I would make the dealer fix it or refund you the charge for the camshaft sensor.

tpa_mk7

The sensor was replaced under CPO warranty, meaning they charge a $50 deductible per visit, regardless of labor/parts, as long as that part is covered under warranty. My issue is not with the costs of the repair, its mostly the fact that they are not resolving this recurrent CEL. The code that they put on the invoice was P0340, which in fact is a Camshaft Positioning Sensor Code, but it doesn't make sense that it would through another CEL one day after. I will be going in tomorrow morning to get this resolved. Hopefully there is someone in this forum that may have experienced something similar that can give some info on how to resolve this.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The sensor was replaced under CPO warranty, meaning they charge a $50 deductible per visit, regardless of labor/parts, as long as that part is covered under warranty. My issue is not with the costs of the repair, its mostly the fact that they are not resolving this recurrent CEL. The code that they put on the invoice was P0340, which in fact is a Camshaft Positioning Sensor Code, but it doesn't make sense that it would through another CEL one day after. I will be going in tomorrow morning to get this resolved. Hopefully there is someone in this forum that may have experienced something similar that can give some info on how to resolve this.

Show them the last sentence in the first paragraph of this link.

https://www.carparts.com/blog/code-...t=The P0340 code is a generic powertrain code.

tpa_mk7