GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Camber/spring bounce?

jessiewonka

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf
In April I had my wheels replaced and VWR/TSI springs added to my MK7 Golf -- the alignment rundown below. The shop went over the numbers with me at the time, and suggested I may need to rotate the tires a bit more often due to the camber differences.

All has been well, but I have noticed a few times that once the car gets up in speed, say over 65mph, it tends to bounce with dips in the road. Would this be mostly due to the camber, the springs... In normal driving it's fine, but it does give the impression of unpredictability at high speeds.

jessiewonka

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf
The bounce at high speeds will be the dampers not keeping up with the spring rates and altered ride height.

Maybe I should get some use out of these springs and then switch to coilovers.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I just got back to the bay area yesterday, and as I found out the roads here are MUCH bouncier than in New Mexico. The damper rate being different wasn't a problem in New Mexico, but I think I might have lifted the rear wheels off the ground going on an on ramp last night. I think I'll be switching to BC coilovers when I get some money from my summer job: https://www.moddedeuros.com/products/bc-racing-adjustable-coilovers-h-23.

Probably best that I find an excuse to get an alignment as soon as possible anyways because the guy who did it last didn't give me a printout and the car was pointing less straight when it left. It's fixed itself since though, so who knows... Not going back there though, that's for sure. I don't suppose you have any recommendations for the north bay?

jessiewonka

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf
I just got back to the bay area yesterday, and as I found out the roads here are MUCH bouncier than in New Mexico. The damper rate being different wasn't a problem in New Mexico, but I think I might have lifted the rear wheels off the ground going on an on ramp last night. I think I'll be switching to BC coilovers when I get some money from my summer job: https://www.moddedeuros.com/products/bc-racing-adjustable-coilovers-h-23.

Probably best that I find an excuse to get an alignment as soon as possible anyways because the guy who did it last didn't give me a printout and the car was pointing less straight when it left. It's fixed itself since though, so who knows... Not going back there though, that's for sure. I don't suppose you have any recommendations for the north bay?

Ah interesting. I've only noticed it two or three times, typically once you hit top highway speeds and ride over a few dips. It's not confidence inspiring to go much faster!

I had my wheels and springs installed by Tomas Tuning in Berkeley, who seem to have a large fan base.

jessiewonka

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf
I drive with BC coils and the roads in bay area especially in San Francisco are terrible, and I'm getting used to it with caution.

Which BC coils do you have? Do you think full coilovers vs springs will significantly help bounce in the situation I described?

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
The bounce at high speeds will be the dampers not keeping up with the spring rates and altered ride height.

This. The GTI and the Golf definitively don't use the same dampers while the VWR springs rates are the same.

Which BC coils do you have? Do you think full coilovers vs springs will significantly help bounce in the situation I described?

Any setup that has dampers correctly matched to the springs will reduce/eliminate any bounciness.

jessiewonka

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf
Went on a trip up north today, 4-5 hours on highways. This is the longest trip it's been on. No bounces, and handled well from stop and go traffic to cruising speeds, and then rain. Tempting to leave it be and not drop another $1,200. But knowing it's possible to bounce at high speeds on the right roads makes me paranoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
Just FYI it will get worse with time. My car just hit 33k and the shocks are definitely on their way out. I get a terrible bounce on the highway over any small bump from the shocks not being matched to the springs. Get you use out of them and save up for coils!

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
You seem to need stronger dampers. Don't throw your money if you are on a budget. When you feel your dampers are going kaput just buy the bilstein B8 (for vehicles with lowered suspension). Very good dampers in my opinion, I used them in every vehicle I owed (except this one) and my brother did too on his mk6. They will last you longer, too.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
Maybe I should get some use out of these springs and then switch to coilovers.

If you're not happy with the spring rate or ride height, I'd say maybe coilovers. But to get a decent set of coils is going to be at least several hundred more than a set of bilstein b8s (mentioned by geomets below). Had them on my mk6 and they were pretty awesome with VWRs. No bounce whatsoever and very good ride quality. Will you be tracking the car?

You seem to need stronger dampers. Don't throw your money if you are on a budget. When you feel your dampers are going kaput just buy the bilstein B8 (for vehicles with lowered suspension). Very good dampers in my opinion, I used them in every vehicle I owed (except this one) and my brother did too on his mk6. They will last you longer, too.

True true!

jessiewonka

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf

If you're not happy with the spring rate or ride height, I'd say maybe coilovers. But to get a decent set of coils is going to be at least several hundred more than a set of bilstein b8s (mentioned by geomets below). Had them on my mk6 and they were pretty awesome with VWRs. No bounce whatsoever and very good ride quality. Will you be tracking the car?

Hm, that's another option, just swap out the dampers. Though that's getting close to the cost of just going with full coilovers. Nah, not tracking it.

After four more hours coming back today, I only had one stretch of highway with bounce, bit of an oddly paved area that seemed to be affecting other cars around me as well. So overall I'd say bounce is rare in most situations, but it can happen.

I think for now I'll let it ride (ha), put some miles on it, then consider swapping in coilovers. I'm hesitant to put any more money into it since I'm considering selling it in a few years.