GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

California Legal Intercooler (Mk7)?

Mooseman

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2022 TT RS
Could also call up Eurocode tuning or any other well known tuning shop in CA and ask them. They're not far from me, and would know best as anything they sell that is Smog related have to have an EO number I believe with the big crackdown. Which is why a lot of companies won't ship certain things to CA.
I figured asking 034 would be a good representation of that. They're in Fremont and San Jose.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Good ole Cali. Always coming out with the most ridiculous bullshit CARB rules. Glad I don't live there otherwise I'd go insane!
I got to the L.A. area in 1982 for college and the air was orange. It was difficult to breathe while walking around campus all day and it was actually painful. Over the years the air got cleaner, is no longer orange and it's not painful or laborious to breathe. Yes, when stuck in traffic for a couple of hours and you're sucking in the emissions around you it's not so great. Otherwise, the clean air is very much appreciated.

If you can build a time machine, go back to the L.A. of the 60s, 70s and 80s and tell me you'd genuinely rather breathe that crap and have a slightly larger intercooler then go right ahead. But, having lived through it I'd say I'd much rather have my much-faster-than-all-those-old-cars stock '18 R and clean air. Yeah, some of the items the CARB picks on are stupid and likely not effective at all in keeping the air clean but you can't tell me stock cars are not fast enough today and require pollution to be "fun". I'd rather breathe clean air.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
yeah as an angeleno I'd rather have CARB than no CARB, but their exemption system does seem like a blatant shakedown that disproportionately affects smaller manufacturers.
No reason that a larger downpipe with a cat should just not be allowed.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I got to the L.A. area in 1982 for college and the air was orange. It was difficult to breathe while walking around campus all day and it was actually painful. Over the years the air got cleaner, is no longer orange and it's not painful or laborious to breathe. Yes, when stuck in traffic for a couple of hours and you're sucking in the emissions around you it's not so great. Otherwise, the clean air is very much appreciated.

If you can build a time machine, go back to the L.A. of the 60s, 70s and 80s and tell me you'd genuinely rather breathe that crap and have a slightly larger intercooler then go right ahead. But, having lived through it I'd say I'd much rather have my much-faster-than-all-those-old-cars stock '18 R and clean air. Yeah, some of the items the CARB picks on are stupid and likely not effective at all in keeping the air clean but you can't tell me stock cars are not fast enough today and require pollution to be "fun". I'd rather breathe clean air.

This...

I grew up in the LA suburbs in the 80's. I remember there used to be something called a "smog alert". Those are the days where you were recommended to stay indoors. I also remember the orange haze hanging around the foothills.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

Again, glad I don't live in Cali. You don't see NYC with that shit. So how come LA is special and have a major smog problem?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Again, glad I don't live in Cali. You don't see NYC with that shit. So how come LA is special and have a major smog problem?

There are a lot of factors with temp and humidity. LA is warmer on average. Cold and dense liquids (air acts like a liquid) don't absorb as well. To visualize you can put a cup of water in the fridge and boil a cup of water, then start putting sugar into both cups. The warm water will absorb significantly more of the sugar and as it cools the sugar will fall out again. There's a lot more to do with weather, location, population, etc, but temp and humidity are easy to visualize.

Let's not pretend NYC has good air though. In 2010 I was in New York and people were masking up left and right due to the smog. Even before covid, n95 masks were being recommended by doctors for anyone going outside on the medium/high air quality index days.

Mooseman

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2022 TT RS
There are a lot of factors with temp and humidity. LA is warmer on average. Cold and dense liquids (air acts like a liquid) don't absorb as well. To visualize you can put a cup of water in the fridge and boil a cup of water, then start putting sugar into both cups. The warm water will absorb significantly more of the sugar and as it cools the sugar will fall out again. There's a lot more to do with weather, location, population, etc, but temp and humidity are easy to visualize.

Let's not pretend NYC has good air though. In 2010 I was in New York and people were masking up left and right due to the smog. Even before covid, n95 masks were being recommended by doctors for anyone going outside on the medium/high air quality index days.
I agree with the sentiment but your sugar example is bad.
The reason that more dissolves when the water is hot is simply due to the solubility curve of sugar in water. There are substances that have the opposite relationship and can dissolve better at lower temperatures.
1C8BDBAA-297F-4752-A6DD-00275D6F9A11.jpeg

The environmental chemistry that occurs is too complex to summarize in a forum post, but you're right that the different weather patterns have an effect.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I agree with the sentiment but your sugar example is bad.
The reason that more dissolves when the water is hot is simply due to the solubility curve of sugar in water. There are substances that have the opposite relationship and can dissolve better at lower temperatures.
It was a visualization analogy. The majority of the particulates we're talking about are 2.5 to 10 microns in size and they don't easily fall out. The more complex answer, as I'm sure you're aware, is that the fluidity and movement of air is heavily dependent on pressure and temperature changes. Less change means less movement overall.

This is okay reading: https://scied.ucar.edu/learning-zone/air-quality/how-weather-affects-air-quality

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Probably because ny does not have an inversion layer commonly which keeps smog in nor a large valley that locks it in and bet more cars driving more miles in La since ny is a city that widely used public transit which is not popular in La.

HalfGerman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Cleaner air is a good thing. But the bureaucracy side is a bit silly. If I were to say, put a aftermarket CAT on the car and even if it was CLEANER than stock, simply would not pass due to not having a CARB exemption. How about just smogging the car and if it passes clean, who cares what parts were put on?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I can't fathom this ever being noticed in any situatuon.