GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

California GTI engine designation?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
My friend has been to the carb ref at airfare 3 freaking times now because of his exhaust. And his exhaust is fucking stock. Fuck carb.
Weird. i've definitely seen intakes dinged for smog, but literally never a cataback. And I know a couple guys running custom catbacks that have never been given an ounce of grief from any smog check they've been to.

Where in the state does your friend live?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I'm sure there's people in California that bought cars from other states. You still have to pay the CA sales tax. I had a Civic that I brought in from New Jersey. It passed smog and I was able to register the car.
My Georgia purchased GTI has a sticker under the hood that says it's CA compliant, or something along those lines.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Weird. i've definitely seen intakes dinged for smog, but literally never a cataback. And I know a couple guys running custom catbacks that have never been given an ounce of grief from any smog check they've been to.

Oh it’s not in Cali. You guys get sent to the ref for no damn real reason sometimes

my friend is here in Colorado. His mustang GT exhaust is totally totally stock. Stock headers too. Cops are sending as much people to aircare’s ref hopes something will stick. For the sake of $

Aurora PD especially.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Would this be kinda like the PZEV stuff MK6's and earliers would have? Don't know if the MK7s were marketed with that at all as I didn't see it when shopping used. 🤷‍♂️

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3

I don't think catback can be hit for smog...since they are post cat. You can get busted for having an obnoxiously loud one though. If you have an intake with a CARB EO number like a Neuspeed...you'll be good. Neuspeed has an EO number for the intercooler and charge pipes too.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I don't think catback can be hit for smog...since they are post cat. You can get busted for having an obnoxiously loud one though. If you have an intake with a CARB EO number like a Neuspeed...you'll be good. Neuspeed has an EO number for the intercooler and charge pipes too.
Is Nuespeed the only CARB certified intake?

Edit: Looks like aFe is as well.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
The noise thing has nothing to do with carb. In Cali iirc you can’t exceed 80 decibels or some such? Other states have that law too but either don’t enforce unless it’s super loud or only enforce it on cars but not motorcycles

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
The noise thing has nothing to do with carb. In Cali iirc you can’t exceed 80 decibels or some such? Other states have that law too but either don’t enforce unless it’s super loud or only enforce it on cars but not motorcycles
They cite bikes too. A lot of people running straight pipes and cruising at redline on their crotch rocket around here, which partially lead to that. It's also due to cruising and such too. The cops have electric signs posted on the weekends/holidays saying they ticket loud pipes.

I blame crackle tunes. Had a gaggle of BMWs rolling down the street the other day, all with crackle tunes. It sounded like a shitshow in my opinion, but that's the price of being cool these days.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
They cite bikes too. A lot of people running straight pipes and cruising at redline on their crotch rocket around here, which partially lead to that. It's also due to cruising and such too. The cops have electric signs posted on the weekends/holidays saying they ticket loud pipes.

I blame crackle tunes. Had a gaggle of BMWs rolling down the street the other day, all with crackle tunes. It sounded like a shitshow in my opinion, but that's the price of being cool these days.
I’ve yet to see it enforced on a bike myself. Yeah I’m also not into the unnaturally occurring pops and bangs

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Is Nuespeed the only CARB certified intake?

Edit: Looks like aFe is as well.
APR has a CARB cert as well if memory serves. My VWR intake isn't technically kosher, but seeing as I have the OEM unit lying around the garage and the job takes all of five minutes I'll just toss it back in when it comes time to smog.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
APR has a CARB cert as well if memory serves. My VWR intake isn't technically kosher, but seeing as I have the OEM unit lying around the garage and the job takes all of five minutes I'll just toss it back in when it comes time to smog.
They aren’t pending certification? I didn’t know it was official. Dope!

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
They aren’t pending certification? I didn’t know it was official. Dope!
Yeah double checked and they got cert back in 2018. Hell their stage 1 tunes are CARB legal, which is unique to APR as far as I'm aware.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Yeah double checked and they got cert back in 2018. Hell their stage 1 tunes are CARB legal, which is unique to APR as far as I'm aware.
Oh wow. I thought they seemed certification right when they stopped supporting stage 2