GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

California GTI engine designation?

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
Interested in picking up a GTI eventually, but want to see if different states have different engine codes like they did for the mk6 (CBFA vs CCTA).

Thanks

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I didn’t even know that was a thing. I’m guessing the California version had more stringent emissions equipment?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Oh I just remembered. The Cummings turbo diesel. There was a version with no egr that could only be sold in certain states. So yeah I guess I can see where you’re getting at. I’d assume things being stricter in California.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I didn’t even know that was a thing. I’m guessing the California version had more stringent emissions equipment?

I'm sure there's people in California that bought cars from other states. You still have to pay the CA sales tax. I had a Civic that I brought in from New Jersey. It passed smog and I was able to register the car.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I'm sure there's people in California that bought cars from other states. You still have to pay the CA sales tax. I had a Civic that I brought in from New Jersey. It passed smog and I was able to register the car.
My state is a carb state now too. Absolutely hate how hard of an obvious hustle carb is. Makes me wonder why the hell did folks in Cali bend over and take that

all the exhaust shops here had to get rid of all their epa compliant cats. Because they weren’t carb approved. Only magnaflow had a carb compliant cat. And those bitches are on back order while thieves are ripping out peoples cats in the middle of the night. It’s fucked.

locally many have been trying to push carb out of the whole damn state. Hell Colorado Springs said fuck it and removed emissions all together in protest. I do my part and go to these protests (pre COVID) too and sign every petition I can. Carb is an unnecessary hustle.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
My state is a carb state now too. Absolutely hate how hard of an obvious hustle carb is. Makes me wonder why the hell did folks in Cali bend over and take that

all the exhaust shops here had to get rid of all their epa compliant cats. Because they weren’t carb approved. Only magnaflow had a carb compliant cat. And those bitches are on back order while thieves are ripping out peoples cats in the middle of the night. It’s fucked.

locally many have been trying to push carb out of the whole damn state. Hell Colorado Springs said fuck it and removed emissions all together in protest. I do my part and go to these protests (pre COVID) too and sign every petition I can. Carb is an unnecessary hustle.
California should just secede from the US and become their own country. Then other states won't copy their bullshit.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Most got around it by going to shady smog shops.

Now you don't have to smog for 8 years. I bought my GTI in 2017. I don't have to smog till 2025.

There are also counties in CA that do not require any smog.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
California should just secede from the US and become their own country. Then other states won't copy their bullshit.
It's not a matter of copying. It's a whole ass racketeering ring. Just to get anything carb certified u gotta pay out the ass for it. Catbacks don't add to smog. Neither would an intake. Yet they have to be certified. The manufacturer has to pay carb a fuck ton of money so carb can test the product themselves.

So carb tells these states. Hey u wanna make some money. And these states implement carb and have to jack up emissions prices because they have to cut carb in on profits. But the states are ok with this because now they're making more off of emissions while allowing their cops to send people to the carb reffs for any bullshit infraction. And carb opens the doors to particular new laws and procedures that will in turn bleed more people dry.

My friend has been to the carb ref at airfare 3 freaking times now because of his exhaust. And his exhaust is fucking stock. Fuck carb.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Most got around it by going to shady smog shops.

Now you don't have to smog for 8 years. I bought my GTI in 2017. I don't have to smog till 2025.

There are also counties in CA that do not require any smog.
Yet. They're setting up those drive through ones in cali. County by county and little by little. Sadly.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I haven't come across any...but they are supposedly voluntary...thing is is...not everyone knows that. Every other Mk7 out here is modified in some way.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
https://www.bar.ca.gov/Roadside_Inspection_Program

How do these surveys affect consumers?​

Participation in the survey is voluntary. There are no consequences to consumers, regardless of their vehicle's emission control equipment or its emission levels. At the conclusion of the inspection, the participants receive a Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) detailing the results of the test.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
https://www.bar.ca.gov/Roadside_Inspection_Program

How do these surveys affect consumers?​

Participation in the survey is voluntary. There are no consequences to consumers, regardless of their vehicle's emission control equipment or its emission levels. At the conclusion of the inspection, the participants receive a Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) detailing the results of the test.
We already have that here. Except if you do two runs in a 12 month period but x amount of months in-between runs. It will count towards your smog check.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Wasn't one of the reasons for the switch to the 20wt is to improve mileage?

• Fuel Economy
    • CXCA / CXCB - 25 mpg city / 34 mpg highway (manual)
    • CXCA / CXCB - 25 mpg city / 33 mpg highway (DSG)
    • DKFA - 24 mpg city / 32 mpg highway (manual)
    • DKFA - 25 mpg city / 31 mpg highway (DSG)