GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Calculating current value and depreciation of my newish 17 SE vs a new 7.5/R

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Keep in mind also if you sell privately you end up paying tax on full amount of new car purchase...In my state (PA), if you trade in you pay tax on the difference between trade-in and and new car..

Gprro

I'm surprised at the $21750 offer, that seems high. If you want an R and can afford it now is the time. As mentioned if you get a 2019 the 6/72 wtty is a nice thing. Hopefully never needed but nice to have.

Have you ever sold a decent car or just clunkers. It can be a hassle and while you can make more than what a dealer gives there may be tax gains (in CT you discount trade in value b4 figuring tax on new) like Blindeye said. The other part is folks expect to pay less through private sale compared to dealer.
That was an end of the month call. They offered around 20k if I remember correctly a week or so earlier. Kbb was listing at $21900 in excellent condition at the time for trade in. Other dealers were between 19500 and 20500, but some of those were blind appraisals.

Only sold one car private party before. I’d had it for 12 years and was definitely on the older side lol..

Tax in NC 3%. Trade value subtracts from that. Been factoring that in.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
The tax
Keep in mind also if you sell privately you end up paying tax on full amount of new car purchase...In my state (PA), if you trade in you pay tax on the difference between trade-in and and new car..
The tax rate would have to be really high to ever have this save more than the difference in private party vs. trade. Here in VA, tax rate is ~5% a $20K trade allowance would be $1K saved. Private party would likely be several grand more so yes, you factor it in but if you are adequately negotiating trade-in value or a private sale, it won't win out.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Selling privately can be more of a PITA, I've done many time with no issue. The little extra work is worth it to me to 1) save money/make money and 2) keep the new/used car deal clean/free of an extra component that is often used to screw you over. The more you can make a car purchase about purchasing a car, the better deal you will get. Also keep in mind that the more expensive private party sales are often by buyers that are more savvy and financially astute. You just need to understand how it works and understand how your title situation is handled when you owe on the car you are selling.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I always go in this sequence while selling a vehicle: Private party, Carmax / Carvana and the last option would be dealer trade in. Any specific reason why you dont want to sell the vehicle privately. Difference between private party and dealer trade in when i sold my 2016 GTI (2 years old with 26k miles in a great condition) was around $4k.

Your GTI has gone through major depreciation and it would not be any terrible in the next year or so. People claim that Rs dont depreciate as bad a GTI and it might hold its value better with People's warranty. Swap might be ok in your case if the money which you are adding is not going to make a dent in your overall financial status.

So why are you considering a new GTI / R to begin with.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The only issue is when someone test drives your car. Insurance follows the car not the driver, so it's your insurance that will need to be used if a test driver damages your car or hurts someone.

Gprro

I always go in this sequence while selling a vehicle: Private party, Carmax / Carvana and the last option would be dealer trade in. Any specific reason why you dont want to sell the vehicle privately. Difference between private party and dealer trade in when i sold my 2016 GTI (2 years old with 26k miles in a great condition) was around $4k.

Your GTI has gone through major depreciation and it would not be any terrible in the next year or so. People claim that Rs dont depreciate as bad a GTI and it might hold its value better with People's warranty. Swap might be ok in your case if the money which you are adding is not going to make a dent in your overall financial status.

So why are you considering a new GTI / R to begin with.

I did check with carmax around the same time as I started shopping dealers. They were on the lower side of offers.

The extra hassle is the main reason for not private party selling. Though I am considering it more... definitely if I feel like I can get a good deal more money out of it. I’m browsing auto trader etc. gauging values, and trying to calculate depreciation on a new GTI or R. I don’t mind doing it, just have to be in a position where I don’t feel like I’m going to be throwing a bunch of money away. I thought I’d have at least 4K by now equity in this car given the deal I got and down payment. It’s sort of a value balance. Everyone has their own I guess. I could go all YOLO on it, but trying to stay smart about it.

Main reason I was considering a new car... I liked the R’s. I like the extra warranty. I like the GTI updates as well enough to consider having a similar, or hopefully lower payment ( $460 now) for another year and half. I would probably do the R at 72 months to keep payment close-ish. If I feel like it’s depreciation is slower as well. The lease values are much better percentage wise after 3 years, so hopefully they should. Fun car is also part of intertainment budget lol!!!

Doing a bigger turbo and tune, or a big e40 tune and budgeting for repairs keeps creaping into my mind lol, but this is a daily and needs to stay pretty reliable and have some kind of value. That’s part of the R as well. JB4 or APR+ makes it faster and the R has lower suspension and better wheels already. Something the GTI needs.