GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

C8 or 2022 Golf R?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I like the rarity of the R a lot more. You know how many fucking camaros, corvettes, mustangs, chargers, and challengers I see every day...They're all over the place. Everybody has one and everybody knows about them.

Anytime I tell someone what I drive I usually have to explain what it is. Most people have no idea what a R is. I've had mine for almost 2 years and I can't even remember a single time I've seen another R parked in a lot somewhere. Outside of car shows and meets I've only seen a handful of them out in the wild.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I like the rarity of the R a lot more. You know how many fucking camaros, corvettes, mustangs, chargers, and challengers I see every day...They're all over the place. Everybody has one and everybody knows about them.

Anytime I tell someone what I drive I usually have to explain what it is. Most people have no idea what a R is. I've had mine for almost 2 years and I can't even remember a single time I've seen another R parked in a lot somewhere. Outside of car shows and meets I've only seen a handful of them out in the wild.

The only downside is VW is slapping an R badge on everything these days. The average person doesn't have a clue as to the difference. R, R-Line. It's all the same to most people.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
It's $45k, and no one pays dealer markup on a VW, that's just silly. There are far too many VW dealers to put up with one that even asks for a dealer markup.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The only downside is VW is slapping an R badge on everything these days. The average person doesn't have a clue as to the difference. R, R-Line. It's all the same to most people.
That's fine, it dilutes the odds of idiots trying to street race you. I debadge most of my cars, and the Mk8 would get that done immediately, the new badges in the middle just look strange.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
It is true though that if you are getting an R you are paying pretty close to MSRP for it.

My GTI Autobahn was 30,300 on like a 38 sticker

If I was thinking about buying a car that is fun to drive like the vette then I would be ordering an M2

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
It is true though that if you are getting an R you are paying pretty close to MSRP for it.

My GTI Autobahn was 30,300 on like a 38 sticker

If I was thinking about buying a car that is fun to drive like the vette then I would be ordering an M2
Find me a car in the current world that you can get a discount on. It's going to be a minute until the GTI has discounts like we all saw on the Mk7 and Mk7.5.

The M2 is a fat thing and only getting fatter for the new generation. There's certainly more tuning potential for one than a C8, but it will never handle as well, brake as well or get the attention (if that matters.)

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I agree with all of the points here, though the M2 is a pure drivers car. The M2 CS was even better. It killed the new Supra around a track, but costs a hell of a lot more too.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I agree with all of the points here, though the M2 is a pure drivers car. The M2 CS was even better. It killed the new Supra around a track, but costs a hell of a lot more too.
Lightning Lap, and that's a Supra with a B58 vs an M2 with an S58 and plastic brakes. The CS is just a comically bad value. If you want to compare something with similar performance to the C8, I think the Lotus Emira might be the closest performance at a similar price. I've owned a few M cars and I wouldn't want to even discuss their track abilities in comparison to a bog stock Corvette of any generation, they're just totally different things. VIR isn't the end all of tracks, and there are certainly high speed tracks (like COTA) where an M2C should be faster than a Supra, but on anything tight, the Supra is a superior car with less understeer and faster directional changes.

2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2:59.3
2019 BMW M2 Competition, 2:59.7

Oh, and just to keep it on topic:
2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51, 2:49.0
2015 Volkswagen Golf R, 3:12.3

Last edited:

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
That's fine, it dilutes the odds of idiots trying to street race you. I debadge most of my cars, and the Mk8 would get that done immediately, the new badges in the middle just look strange.
A F150 wanted to race me for the merge over the weekend.. Does my Golf-R look that dumb and slow?

And a 0.4sec edge is a "killed the Supra around the track"? Driver could've had an itch in his crack that contributed to the "loss"?

I have better things to think about.. like pepperoni or just cheese..hummm

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
A F150 wanted to race me for the merge over the weekend.. Does my Golf-R look that dumb and slow?

And a 0.4sec edge is a "killed the Supra around the track"? Driver could've had an itch in his crack that contributed to the "loss"?

I have better things to think about.. like pepperoni or just cheese..hummm
No, the Supra was actually faster than the M2C at VIR with a less powerful engine.

But pepperoni, leave the cheese to my 6 year old. Or at least get a margherita.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I daily drove my 2005 C6 for about 5 years and it was fine for that. Can't imagine the C8 being much different. Only reason I got my R was that I was soon going to commute for a few hours every day and decided I didn't want to clutch in L.A. traffic all the time and wanted an auto/PDK/DSG. Also the wife was not liking the getting and and out of the C6 so I opted for the R as it solved some of that and was easily as fast in normal driving so I did not lose any "fun factor".

So "daily driver" is only one check box. What about other reasons like cargo carrying capacity, MPG, wife/girlfriend getting in/out of it easily, etc. There are other pros and cons for each that you need to decide on to make a good decision.

But it you choose C8, it's probably going to be fine as a DD.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Everything I've read and watched has the m2 comp far ahead of the supra as a drivers car. Sure they are comparable but nobody here is a race car driver seeking lap times.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Everything I've read and watched has the m2 comp far ahead of the supra as a drivers car. Sure they are comparable but nobody here is a race car driver seeking lap times.
I haven’t driven the Supra, it’s an automatic, so eww. But I did have an M Coupe and enjoyed it much more than any M3. Smaller, lighter cars are generally more fun.

We owned an N54 135i and I’ve driven the 1M and M2C and I want to like them, but I just don’t enjoy them enough to go back to BMW. Go drive one, maybe it does more for you.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Option C:

ZL1 1LE in manual

Quicker than the R & Vette, falls between the two in comfort and practical-ish daily.

No small PP stigma for those who think that way (I don’t, but I saw some comments round yonder).
The ZL1 1LE is incredible on a track, but if you're going to daily it, skip the 1LE package. It looks cool, but between the suspension stiffness and tires+camber that wear through every 3k miles, it's not a great daily. The standard ZL1 is still better around a track than the R or Corvette (C8 might post similar times, but the ZL1 is much easier to drive and more fun), but a lot easier to live with than the 1LE. In touring mode, it's more comfy than the stock suspension in my GTI and in track mode it handles incredibly well.