GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buzzing vibration sound from rear seat or trunk

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
Just pick a spot that’s tight enough to wedge it in there. I did opposing corners. If you do this and it works, a dab of glue would be wise. If you lose these in there you’d go through hell fishing them out again without cutting the shield off.

Mine had a broken mount in one spot (see last pic). That could make some unpleasant vibrations if the stud is broken right at the shield. Also, I don’t have the suitcase muffler, so this was all easy access for me.

I will say, this is so much classier than bailing wire and duct tape fixes, especially if you drink some good wine first. Lol

thez99

Go Kart Champion
I have a similar noise on my 2018 but its more of a tick than a vibration and sounds more like its coming from the rear pillars or roof but haven't nailed it down, rear seats are solid so who knows..

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
I wonder if the red rubber hanger by the fuel tank is of a stiffer durometer rubber than the black rear hangers and it’s causing drone on stage 2 cars?

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Mine is still doing it. I had my wife take a ride with me in the car to help narrow down the area the sound is coming from.

She couldn’t narrow it down exactly but she believed it was coming from the very bottom area of the B Pillar area. Possibly even from under the car in that area. Being that it’s a vibration buzzing sound, it’s particularly difficult to pinpoint where it’s coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This description sounds like the fuel line rattle issue. Fuel lines running near the center of the right side chassis rail. LMK if you want more info.

DubbyMP82

Passed Driver's Ed
This description sounds like the fuel line rattle issue. Fuel lines running near the center of the right side chassis rail. LMK if you want more info.

You Sir are a saint!

I pulled the plastic cover off the underside of the car in that area. Stuffed a bunch of paper towels into the holes where the fuel lines reside to take up any space where the fuel lines are and that fixed it. Haven’t had a single buzz/vibration since.

Huge thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ineedboostedmk7

Passed Driver's Ed
I wonder if this is the similar sound I hear when it rains. Sounds like water trapped between the passenger front side brake pads, as the car is rolling to a stop and/or during initial acceleration.

Granted, when i first got my vehicle, the brakes pads were screeching slightly when i was coming to a stop. After 1000 miles, i didnt seem to notice/hear it anymore. The guys in the VAGshop said they were fine, and probably put brake cleaner on.

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
This is still bugging me. My buzz/rattle is on deceleration right around 1400 RPM, both cold and hot. I can get it happen parked.

Things I've tried that had no effect:

- Arm rest plastic slider/cover (this did in fact make a difference, but for a different buzz).
- Ripped out the suitcase heat shield.
- Completely removed the Soundaktor and padded/secured the wire plug. While in that area, I padded/shimmed a hidden loose plastic cover that is over the A/C filter.
- Took loose items out of the spare tire area.
- Flipped sunvisors up/down and removed my garage door remote with a metal spring on it.
- Folded rear seats down, carried two passengers in them, padded the latches...nada.
- My highest hope...got underneath to address the fuel line. Crammed as much padding as I could in all 6 or 7 small openings in the rail. Nothing can move in there now where I had access. Nada. I also tried padding the lines right by the tank.
- Took driver's side undercarriage plastic cover off to look for possibilities. A lot of heat shielding seemed likely to buzz coming in contact with the body. Padded every possibility there.

Still to investigate: rear hatch plastic cover and rear seat back releases (?). Nothing seemed likely from tapping around though. I supposed the License tag is a remote possibility, but will eliminate that for good next go round.

Last edited:

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
This is still bugging me. My buzz/rattle is on deceleration right around 1400 RPM, both cold and hot. I can get it happen parked.

Have you removed this plastic piece in your arm rest?

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
Have you removed this plastic piece in your arm rest?

Yes I did. Forgot to list that. That actually did make a difference for another buzz. Thanks though.