GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying recommendation MK7 GTI

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
It's funny. These forums treat modded cars like Schrödinger's cars. Every modded car for sale has been abused just because it's modded. Yet ask anyone here who's modded their car and it's been meticulously taken care of. Where are these abused modded cars coming from?

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
My honest take is that the people who mod and abuse cars aren't on these forums, or rarely pop up. Most people on these forums know to have the car oil temp in the right spot before gunning it, change fluids often, do stuff that the people who only ever make it to the apr/034/USP/moddedeuros store page don't keep up on.

The people on the forums are a small fraction of owners who mod.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It's funny. These forums treat modded cars like Schrödinger's cars. Every modded car for sale has been abused just because it's modded. Yet ask anyone here who's modded their car and it's been meticulously taken care of. Where are these abused modded cars coming from?

Mine is fully modded with 100,000 miles and I'm one of the ones who takes care of it meticulously. All fluids are changed way before what the manual says. I've had a catch can installed since new and there's no more blow by than there was when new. I think there's plenty of modded cars that are abused by forum members but they wouldn't admit it and I can't single any one person out but the law of averages is what it is. Some people would consider any car that is modified to be abused.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3

At the same time...there are guys that tune their cars the day they get it and hammer on it every chance they get. Unless I personally know them...I'll pass.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I have no problem buying a used car, it's a great way to have someone else pay for the depreciation. Modded has it's concerns but the $5K in bodywork would cause me to walk unless it's well under book. The car already has significant diminished value just from that. You also don't know how well the bodywork was done and what might crop up in the future.

Keep saving.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
I would personally just save up and wait until you can comfortably get a new vehicle. I would never want to buy a used vehicle, especially if there is a bit modding scene behind that make/model. And with the accident on file, pass....

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

IMO that might not be the only reason. If i plan to keep it for a while, i want the vehicle to be the way i want and not someone else's project.

Also many modded owners think they will be able to get a premium for their updates which might not be the real world scenario.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I think others who have gone to car meetups or shows will have a similar experience (unless it's a forum sponsored meetup) most of the guys with heavily modified cars, say lowered, tuned, primarily for street use know nothing of these message boards when you are talking to them. They dont have any idea what the common problems are for the cars, they havent pro/con or chosen their mods based on objective reasons... they just mod.

I suppose ignorance of the wide world is bliss in some ways but those are the people I would absolutely never buy a car from. The car described by OP certainly seems like one of those cars.

alpher

Car(s)
GTI MK7
I have no problem buying a used car, it's a great way to have someone else pay for the depreciation. Modded has it's concerns but the $5K in bodywork would cause me to walk unless it's well under book. The car already has significant diminished value just from that. You also don't know how well the bodywork was done and what might crop up in the future.

Keep saving.
Yeah, I would prefer buying used for the same exact reason. I do have enough cash for a new one but honestly, I'm only 22 so spending ~40k on something sounds pretty irresponsible to me especially considering the fact that these cars depreciate SOOOO much and I don't even need transportation for work or school. Everything is remote these days. What would you say is well under the book? I haven't made any sort of deal with him and have just been stalking auto trader these days lmao.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
If you find a well sorted modified car with proof of increased maintenance I would not be too concerned. The description you provide for the vehicle you are looking at would concern me with the accident. These cars are pretty stout and handle modifications well, proof of maintenence is a must.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Yeah, I would prefer buying used for the same exact reason. I do have enough cash for a new one but honestly, I'm only 22 so spending ~40k on something sounds pretty irresponsible to me especially considering the fact that these cars depreciate SOOOO much and I don't even need transportation for work or school. Everything is remote these days. What would you say is well under the book? I haven't made any sort of deal with him and have just been stalking auto trader these days lmao.

My 2018 Autobahn sticker was $37K, I paid $25K with 11K miles and the factory 6/72 warranty intact. It had only one service done at 10K.

I can't comment too much on Canadian vehicles, but I wouldn't pay more than 80% of book value for a car with a significant accident history, if I bought it at all. I'd wait and keep looking.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
My 2018 Autobahn sticker was $37K, I paid $25K with 11K miles and the factory 6/72 warranty intact. It had only one service done at 10K.

Higher trim level cars usually loose their value fastest, especially fresh off the lot as they have to compete with the new cars that are lower trim.....

Those lower trim new cars are being sold with aggressive discounts / finance promotions and the fact they are unmolested / new..... at a similar price...