GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying question – lower miles vs better options

alspdx

Car(s)
‘95 GLX
we always say "buy the seller, not the watch"
Thanks, this is good advice.

I appreciate everyone’s input on the matter, it’s been helpful and reassuring.

I do get a good feeling from the seller so far, he’s been upfront about everything, easy to work with, and good about communication. The car is at VW right now getting the inspection, I’ll know more about it this afternoon and probably make a decision or an offer tomorrow.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I need to sell my car to you.

IMO that’s a high price for both cars.

Here is my thread from a month ago considering selling my car... may help looking at the responses.

I would be totally happy with $18,500, my car has excellent maintenance and only 36k miles.

Plus some nicer mods in addition to car B.

Thinking of selling my 2016, thoughts on value? (Poll Included)

I have flirted with the idea of buying a 991.1 or a V8 R8 Manual recently.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I need to sell my car to you.

IMO that’s a high price for both cars.

Here is my thread from a month ago considering selling my car... may help looking at the responses.

I would be totally happy with $18,500, my car has excellent maintenance and only 36k miles.

Plus some nicer mods in addition to car B.

Thinking of selling my 2016, thoughts on value? (Poll Included)
True, though the used car market is all over the place due to Covid and the relief money. Prices for junk jumped up almost 1200 bucks overnight it seems, and VW prices are up there for whatever reason at the moment. Depends on area, but here in CA it's the same with prices way inflated.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...ORE&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d199

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I pass on both of those, and find the car I want equipped exactly as I want it, with whatever I deem to be acceptable miles and NO MECHANICAL MODS unless I'm buying directly from whoever did them all and can discuss, see receipts, etc.

These cars are common enough that with a little patience and turning over every rock (easily done without leaving your chair), you can find what you want and not have to compromise. Good luck!

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I pass on both of those, and find the car I want equipped exactly as I want it, with whatever I deem to be acceptable miles and NO MECHANICAL MODS unless I'm buying directly from whoever did them all and can discuss, see receipts, etc.

Who's your contact at the used car factory?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Might have an auction license or be in an area that happens to have a high density of VWs. It depends heavily on location. In the sticks, your pickings may be slim.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
I’d go with A at a more attractive price. The mileage does matter and if the thermostat housing hasn’t been replaced yet, to replace it on car B which is over the 60,000 mile power train warranty will be expensive.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
I'll assume both cars are manual given that the AB had a clutch upgrade. 30k service is an oil change and a brake flush, hardly a huge undertaking. To me the PP is all but useless in a daily driven errand car. You won't ever notice the brakes or the limited slip unless you're pushing the car harder than you should be on the road. The sad part about the 15-16 cars is that there isn't too much difference between the SE and the AB. Dual zone climate (which I am a huge fan of BTW) and the full power driver seat (which I couldn't care less about, my wife matches my height from the waist down). Both have leather, Fender audio and a sunroof. Being 16+ they both have MIB2 which is a huge plus and you can easily upgrade either car to the larger screen if so desired. I would say that if a tune were ever in your future even remotely then I would certainly go for the car with the upgraded clutch. Even if you do it yourself, which I don't necessarily recommend because my MK6 was the worst clutch job I've ever done, then you're looking at 1K+ in parts alone. Both are out of the powertrain warranty at this point so an aftermarket warranty for peace of mind if you so choose shouldn't be too much cost different. At the end of the day I think both cars are overpriced. I sold my one owner, perfectly maintained 15 SE DSG w/ LP and lots of upgrades at 54k miles for 16k private party in 2019.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Since you are not in a hurry to buy a vehicle, I would wait and look out for vehicle similar to that of A with PP.