GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

buying GTI

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
Hi Guys,
I will be buying a GTI in following weeks and would like some advice. I do want plaid seats and hid lights so looking at my options it's either a 2018 SE with cloth seats or a 2019 rabbit, I'm not even sure a 2020 gti comes with hid and cloth seats? Also, the 2019 came with 8 more hp, is that even noticeable to warrant getting the 2019 over 2018? Thanks!

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I doubt you'd notice a difference of 8hp, but I doubt even more that you'll be able to find a used Rabbit Edition for a decent price. I'll also throw out my usual boilerplate used car advice, which is:
1) Always make sure the title is clean
2) Buy the lowest-mileage/best-kept and newest vehicle that you can afford.

Don't get hung up on one particular color or feature. In your case, if you can't find one with cloth seats but there are nice ones available with leather, just get the leather. If you later decide that your life will never be complete without plaid seats in it, you will almost certainly find someone willing to trade you theirs.

Sport17

Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
The 2017 Sport trim level came with cloth seats and the Lighting & Performance Packages, as well (which is why I bought mine). But that's a mk7 vs the 2018+ mk7.5.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yeah, 17 Sport, 18 SE without the "leather" option, or a 19 Rabbit are your options for cloth and HID/LED. Having had "leather" and cloth, you're making the right choice. Note that the seats, headrests, central arm rest and door cards are all cloth, so swapping out isn't exactly easy, unless you'd like a mix of the two.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Trust me you want the Mk7.5s headlights, unbelievable units for the price
Did you have Mk7 HID's? I don't find much, if any difference in performance, aside from the DRL's looking a little nicer. I like the supposed lower power consumption of LED's but don't find their lighting to be very different from good HIDs. We've had three sets of LED and five sets of HID.

RHolte

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Don't even worry about the 8 HP because you will soon be lured into tuning the car which will add 70+ HP :cool: I bought mine from a dealer who also installed APR tunes so I didn't even leave the dealership before buying a tune for both the engine and transmission.

ricola_mk7.5

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Mk7.5 GTI
Did you have Mk7 HID's? I don't find much, if any difference in performance, aside from the DRL's looking a little nicer. I like the supposed lower power consumption of LED's but don't find their lighting to be very different from good HIDs. We've had three sets of LED and five sets of HID.

I mean the DRL design is one of the best designs I've ever seen for the LEDs and are much brighter in the day than the HID's DRLs. Plus all the small details inside the unit make it truly stand out.

As for headlight brightness I have no idea but LEDs just looks better than HIDs imo. These LEDs also swivel and have LED cornering lamps built in. Not to mention the LED tail lights, improved front bumper design, interior upgrades, improved rear bumper, and the hidden radar sensor.

If you can afford the Mk7.5s I wouldn't even look at a Mk7, it's the small details that have made it a big improvement.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I mean the DRL design is one of the best designs I've ever seen for the LEDs and are much brighter in the day than the HID's DRLs. Plus all the small details inside the unit make it truly stand out.

As for headlight brightness I have no idea but LEDs just looks better than HIDs imo. These LEDs also swivel and have LED cornering lamps built in. Not to mention the LED tail lights, improved front bumper design, interior upgrades, improved rear bumper, and the hidden radar sensor.

If you can afford the Mk7.5s I wouldn't even look at a Mk7, it's the small details that have made it a big improvement.
I will give you that the Mk7.5 tails are better (in the US.) I actually prefer the rear bumper and diffuser design of the Mk7 though, but have come to slightly prefer the front of the Mk7.5. Overall the Mk7 was a cleaner, more minimalist design and the 7.5 butched it up a little bit. I like both, wouldn't really choose one over the other, except I do greatly prefer the larger screen in the 7.5 and the lack of the faux carbon trim on the inside. But you are giving up a lot of little features like the lit 12v plug, the under seat storage, the a/c glovebox, the battery cover and a few other minor things that got decontented on the 7.5.

Mk7 HID's had the same cornering and swiveling features though, there's really little to no performance difference in the two, although I have found more OBDEleven features for the LED's, so maybe I'll grow to like them more than I initially have.

Kind of funny, because I used to run (and hate) HID lights for my bike, and only run LED now. They're massively better, less flutter, better beam pattern and generally better light color too. I just haven't found car LED headlights to be noticeably better than HID, but that's also probably mostly the NHTSA's fault, I suspect that ROW cars have the much better lights that dim and change their sweep for oncoming traffic, not just the nearly useless auto highbeam that we get.

Last edited:

ricola_mk7.5

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Mk7.5 GTI
I will give you that the Mk7.5 tails are better (in the US.) I actually prefer the rear bumper and diffuser design of the Mk7 though, but have come to slightly prefer the front of the Mk7.5. Overall the Mk7 was a cleaner, more minimalist design and the 7.5 butched it up a little bit. I like both, wouldn't really choose one over the other, except I do greatly prefer the larger screen in the 7.5 and the lack of the faux carbon trim on the inside. But you are giving up a lot of little features like the lit 12v plug, the under seat storage, the a/c glovebox, the battery cover and a few other minor things that got decontented on the 7.5.

Mk7 HID's had the same cornering and swiveling features though, there's really little to no performance difference in the two, although I have found more OBDEleven features for the LED's, so maybe I'll grow to like them more than I initially have.

Yeah some things are subjective like the bumpers. I had a Mk7 Golf previously and I do miss the underseat compartment but I never used the glovebox AC. What do you mean the lit 12V plug? And mine came with the battery cover I'm not sure if they removed the feature.

We also lost the CD reader in the glovebox lol

2019_GTI_SE

Passed Driver's Ed
Get a 2019 dsg. Enough said.
Best warranty, 7 spd vs 6 (2018). And leather. It'll be hot in the summer, but cloth is hard to clean (unless he absolutely need that plaid seat designs). I'm grown up so those look, kinda, well the you get 20's in me would buy.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
We also lost the CD reader in the glovebox lol
Really?! I don't care, just hadn't noticed that one. Also hadn't noticed the a/c glove box until someone mentioned it on here. I used to use it to cool off my kid's snacks on the way from my work to his daycare. Now I work from home so that's not a big deal. Well, if things ever go back to normal, his snacks are ten feet from him right now.

The ring around the 12v plug was lit in the Mk7 and the upper controls around the sunroof were backlit too. As for the battery, seems like some Mk7.5 have the top cover, some have the side covers and some have none. Guess it's random application these days.