GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

buying GTI - couple questions

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
It would be my main car/daily driver, I live in Illinois and don't have kids. Regarding Miata, I did't really use my backseat in my old car besides for my golf clubs but those could go in trunk. Might be an issue in winter though with softtop and summer tires. My last car was bought back last week because of class action lawsuit so I am borrowing a car in meantime. My parents have like 4 cars so they let me use one that they don't use.

I mainly looking for a used car to hold me over until I see the new WRX, GTI etc whatever comes out in the next 2-3 years. Lot of these cars are long in the tooth right now and about to be replaced.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
If its going to be replaced in a couple of years, i would recommend a 2017 Sport. It has the right features and would not be expensive like a 2019 Rabbit.

MK7 is a reliable platform and i would not worry much holding it for a couple of years.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Buy a used R or a Wrangler, neither will lose much value over that time period. And no, a Miata trunk will not work with golf clubs, unless you use a walking bag and don't mind pulling the clubs out to get them in the trunk. They will work in the passenger seat though, even in a large cart bag. I fit my road bike inside a few times. And some of my most harrowing driving stories involve my Miata, snow and summer tires, don't be as dumb as 20 something year old me. Miatae are great, but challenged only cars, even runs to the grocery store become a bit of a game of Tetris as you fill the trunk, the pax floor well, the space the roof folds into and then ask your spouse to hold a few extra bags that wouldn't fit any where else.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Having a hard time figuring which GTI to buy to hold me over for 2 years or so when the new WRX something else new comes out. Ideally, I would just get a 2017 GTI sport which is already a few years old, comes with rims I like and cheaper to hold me over. However, 2015-2017 only has the 3 year 36 full warranty and the 2018-2019 they stepped up the "peoples warranty" 6 year/72,000 mile full warranty, so would be an idiot to not buy a 2018-2019 with the longer transferable warranty.

Then I run into which used 2018-2019 GTI I should buy, I want the plaid seats and push button start and the 2018 did have those options on the SE. However, the 2019 GTI got a 8-10 hp increase and the 7 speed DSG. The only trim level I would want on the 2019 GTI's is the rabbit edition because it has the plaid seats, push button start as well as the LED headlights. It's basically the ideal options that GTI people would want on their car and none of the extra stuff like sunroof etc. Problem is they are very limited and when they hit the used market they aren't cheap and go fast, talking like spending 24-25 grand used which is like a new car price to me. Having to spend 25 grand on used rabbit edition car to only sell it 2-3 years later and possibly lose my a** because it won't be so special anymore as the new GTI came out.

Or I could just say screw it and buy a used miata, wrx, tacoma to hold me over for a couple years, lol.

Get a 19 Rabbit buyback. When they released the 19’s, There was an ECU fault that led to incessant stalling of the engines, both manual and DSG were affected I believe. It took them a while to figure out a permanent fix, so a bunch of people lemon law’d their stalling 19’s. Now those cars have the factory fix on them, and because they’re buybacks they’re pretty cheap at the dealer. Still come with the remainder of the people’s warranty.

You could probably find a rabbit with less than 10K miles for like 20K lol

ShadyR6

Car(s)
2018 GTI
Having a hard time figuring which GTI to buy to hold me over for 2 years or so when the new WRX something else new comes out. Ideally, I would just get a 2017 GTI sport which is already a few years old, comes with rims I like and cheaper to hold me over. However, 2015-2017 only has the 3 year 36 full warranty and the 2018-2019 they stepped up the "peoples warranty" 6 year/72,000 mile full warranty, so would be an idiot to not buy a 2018-2019 with the longer transferable warranty.

Then I run into which used 2018-2019 GTI I should buy, I want the plaid seats and push button start and the 2018 did have those options on the SE. However, the 2019 GTI got a 8-10 hp increase and the 7 speed DSG. The only trim level I would want on the 2019 GTI's is the rabbit edition because it has the plaid seats, push button start as well as the LED headlights. It's basically the ideal options that GTI people would want on their car and none of the extra stuff like sunroof etc. Problem is they are very limited and when they hit the used market they aren't cheap and go fast, talking like spending 24-25 grand used which is like a new car price to me. Having to spend 25 grand on used rabbit edition car to only sell it 2-3 years later and possibly lose my a** because it won't be so special anymore as the new GTI came out.

Or I could just say screw it and buy a used miata, wrx, tacoma to hold me over for a couple years, lol.
I myself couldn’t justify getting a new car just to have for two years. But if you really want one I would go with the Tacoma. They seem to hold their value well so in two years when it’s time to sell you won’t be losing out on as much like you would with your other options.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
If its going to be replaced in a couple of years, i would recommend a 2017 Sport. It has the right features and would not be expensive like a 2019 Rabbit.

MK7 is a reliable platform and i would not worry much holding it for a couple of years.

Would you do a 18 se with the plaid seats over a 17 sport?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Tough call. I've had Both a 17 SE and 18 SE. I bought the 17 SE over the Sport for the auto lights and wipers, but was saddled with the sunroof and the pleather. I fixed that when it was totaled with the 18 and cloth. I sure prefer the newer stereo (although without Fender) and the piano black trim to the older honeycomb trim. And the LED lights and tails are a nicer touch too. I would prefer no sunroof, but I like the auto wipers and lights. The 17 would have the hood liner, battery top cover, spare tire liner, under seat drawer, locking and cooled glovebox and backlit switches in the roof, but I really haven't missed any of those, and double the warranty certainly doesn't hurt.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid

I would, the updated look and better infotainment is probably worth the risk of sunroof issues if you are only going to keep it for a couple years anyway. Compared to a 2019, I highly doubt the 8 HP increase is noticeable and if you get a DSG the 6-speed has the farts, the 7-speed does not.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
if you are a fan of tech just get a placeholder car and wait for the MK8....I'm not and would look for for an 18/19, 17 Sport, or buy new depending on $. IDK if new GTI's are better or not but the amount of tech/touch screens are a nope in my wants. I'll ASSUME the 8 will be better but DOUBT it'll be so much better I give up knobs

as mentioned traveling 500 miles or dealing with shipping is worth considering if the savings is over $1000, however that is risky with used as I'm not a fan of buying used unseen.

Mud

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Just some things I’ve seen in this thread.

1. Never buy a wrangler.
2. Don’t waste your money on a Tacoma if you don’t plan on keeping.
3. Never buy an EJ powered Subaru, be very wary of the rest.
4. If you are buying just as a stop gap, for 2yrs, get something cheap that has bottomed out. 3gen 4runner for example.
5. Never buy a modded car unless you know everything about the platform, seller, car history, and have deep pockets.

if you are set on a GTI, I would buy the one that has the features you want. So a 17 sport or 19 rabbit. As said above the lemon 19s can be a great deal when you find one.

I’d lean toward the newer one since I can’t see myself driving a different car for the next 5-10yrs... but I did 6spd. If DSG id lean away from the 7spd for a number of reasons.... and farts.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
OP can find a good deal on a 2019 Rabbit buyback but he will have a hard time selling it in a couple of years with a lemon title.

It will be a good option if the buyer is planning to hold onto the vehicle for a long time and not worried about resale value.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
OP can find a good deal on a 2019 Rabbit buyback but he will have a hard time selling it in a couple of years with a lemon title.

It will be a good option if the buyer is planning to hold onto the vehicle for a long time and not worried about resale value.

That's the conventional wisdom, and it is certainly valid. On a trade with another make, or if he doesn't put the lemon discount into a private sale, then yes. However, with proper maintenance records, a chunk of the warranty left, and a lemon discount, I don't think it will be that hard to sell. It's a known problem that was fixed. If the car has no other issues, it's a bargain again.