GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

buying GTI - couple questions

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Do the newer gtis still have the micro sd slot? I use that since most stations don’t play what I like
The easy answer is some do, some don't, doesn't even seem to be as simple as S, Rabbit, SE or Autobahn, or even consistent across years. My 18 SE does, but I have a friend with an identical 18 SE that doesn't have them.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
On another note, which do you guys think would be a better deal. Get a used rabbit and install a headunit/speakers or get a 2019 SE (maybe new)? Reason I ask this, I'm wondering if the 19 SE's will go cheaper than a 19 rabbit?

Every dealer with a used Rabbit thinks they have something premium. I would deal with a brand new leftover 2019 SE for a little premium.

When i bought my 2019, price difference from my dealer between a brand new Rabbit and SE with experience package was around $2500. I picked the Rabbit as it was a good overall package at lower cost.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
No DCC or Fender, and both the Rabbit and SE have the same diff, brakes and lights. Sunroofs add weight, a literal hole in the roof (and other issues) and certainly don't help performance. Given the choice between a 19 SE and a Rabbit, I'd do Rabbit all day, but some of that is that my 17 SE had "leather" and my 18 SE has cloth and I greatly prefer the cloth.
My mistake on the diff and brakes. Either way, you're not going to notice the slight weight difference that the sunroof makes. Someone on here weighed their sunroof a while back when deleting it and it only weighed something like 35lbs or so. That's about the same as 1/4 tank of fuel. Not going to make a difference on a street car, especially a daily driver. Since the OP is concerned about having Sirius/XM, I don't think it's a stretch to consider the better sound quality from the Fender audio. The DCC is definitely nice to have a makes a difference. Not to mention having a brand new car instead of a used one that you don't know how it was treated.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
My mistake on the diff and brakes. Either way, you're not going to notice the slight weight difference that the sunroof makes. Someone on here weighed their sunroof a while back when deleting it and it only weighed something like 35lbs or so. That's about the same as 1/4 tank of fuel. Not going to make a difference on a street car, especially a daily driver. Since the OP is concerned about having Sirius/XM, I don't think it's a stretch to consider the better sound quality from the Fender audio. The DCC is definitely nice to have a makes a difference. Not to mention having a brand new car instead of a used one that you don't know how it was treated.
Sorry, I'd forgotten that 19's had the Experience package available. Yeah, I do miss the Fender audio that my 17 had, but wasn't offered on my 18. The DCC isn't important to me as Sachs can't make a shock that stays together for 30k miles (or a clutch, for that matter.)

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Sorry, I'd forgotten that 19's had the Experience package available. Yeah, I do miss the Fender audio that my 17 had, but wasn't offered on my 18. The DCC isn't important to me as Sachs can't make a shock that stays together for 30k miles (or a clutch, for that matter.)
🤣 poor Sachs, they try. To be fair, most of the people on here tend to run their cars fairly hard. I was skeptical of the DCC at first, but after having it for a while, it really does work well. Not quite as good as a set of coilovers for outright performance, but better than the base GTI suspension for sure.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
Every dealer with a used Rabbit thinks they have something premium. I would deal with a brand new leftover 2019 SE for a little premium.

When i bought my 2019, price difference from my dealer between a brand new Rabbit and SE with experience package was around $2500. I picked the Rabbit as it was a good overall package at lower cost.

yea, the rabbits are going fast. I started looking yesterday and saw one a few hours away in St. Louis and it sold that day while SE’s are sitting in lots for months.I could just get a rabbit and install an 8” head unit and be done with it because I do want cloth. However it becomes a harder choice when you can get a new SE with experience package for maybe 26 and a used rabbit for 24,500.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
The trial on my R is still active as well lol. Many months past end date.

I had a GM where they never turned it off in the 4 years I had the vehicle.

Such a strange cost cutting measure. I always wondered how much money they’re really saving with small differentiations like this. I agree with that other guy though. I would never pay for Sirius because I find that of the stations I listen to they mostly play the same songs over and over. For some reason it’s never turned off the trial on my R.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
yea, the rabbits are going fast. I started looking yesterday and saw one a few hours away in St. Louis and it sold that day while SE’s are sitting in lots for months.I could just get a rabbit and install an 8” head unit and be done with it because I do want cloth. However it becomes a harder choice when you can get a new SE with experience package for maybe 26 and a used rabbit for 24,500.

In your case, the price difference is going to be smaller and would have been a no brainer had VW offered SEs with cloth seats.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
In your case, the price difference is going to be smaller and would have been a no brainer had VW offered SEs with cloth seats.

Maybe you're talking about a different year but my 18 SE has cloth seats.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
sirusxm is a waste of money. I had it on my 17 s and after it ran out, they wanted like 20$ a month, nope

A waste to you but I'm in my car 10 hours per day and couldn't live without SiriusXM. Lots of shows you can't get otherwise.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
VW USA seems to have a roulette wheel with Fender Audio, Clark Plaid, DCC and various safety features on it. One year you can get all of it, one year only one of those and the next year, maybe two.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

OP is talking about a used Rabbit and brand new leftover MY19 SE.

I am aware that it was a possibility in previous MY but i dont think OP can find a brand new MY18 SE.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
The DCC isn't important to me as Sachs can't make a shock that stays together for 30k miles (or a clutch, for that matter.)

The DCC setup is from Monroe, not Sachs. I don't disagree with your comment though about 30k on a set of *standard* Sachs dampers. My DCC dampers seemed fine at 50k on my first R.