GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buy a used Golf R APR Stage 2?

RobTrumpetPlayer

Car(s)
Golf R
I'm curious regarding the community's thoughts on purchasing a used 2018 Golf R that has been APR Stage 2 tuned with 10k miles? It is being sold by a VW dealer. I'm cautious that the powertrain warranty is largely voided.

Thanks!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If it has all APR parts it's allegedly covered by APR 's warranty.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Then there is a risk obviously but a huge number of us are taking the risk.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
If it has all APR parts it's allegedly covered by APR 's warranty.
No - that is only if you had bought the APR Plus tune - it is specific and their lowest-power Stage 1 and the DP would void it.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
APR+ and APR stage II aren't the same thing.

If you can afford the R but not necessarily afford to pay to play on powertrain items I would pass on the car. Don't believe anything the dealer says, they just want to sell you the car. They'll of course say it's covered but that's up to VW corporate and they're not as inclined to shell out cash for a flagged car if something comes up.

People are gonna come on and say that VW has to prove the tune caused the malfunction but that's not true. If the car is flagged and you grind up your transmission that's gonna be on your dime. If something non powertrain comes up you'll likely run into no problems getting service.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
If you are going to tune it anyway, it's in good shape/price is right....why not? Just accept that you may run into snags with some powertrain-related warranty claims AND just get them to discount the cost accordingly based on that.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Jim's thinking of APR Plus which only applies to a specific tune. It's a more conservative tune than stage 1.

You'll definitely be at the dealers mercy when it comes to your powertrain warranty. They can easily deny it and leave you with the bill.

I bought a 2018 Golf R last year with 6.6k miles on it, but it was bone stock. I tuned it shortly after and not too long after that I totaled the clutch. The flywheel was really busted and had enough side to side movement that it gouged out big scratches inside the bellhousing. I also bent a couple teeth on the pressure plate. I have no idea if it was because of poor driving from the previous owner, or something I did, but I've been driving a manual for 12 years so I'd like to think it wasn't my fault. I always kinda assumed the previous owner was an older driver that got rid of it because they didn't enjoy the manual.

I'm not sure I'd want to buy someone elses tuned car. Especially since it only has 10k miles. My first thought is the dude got rid of it because it's giving him problems and he just wanted out of it...or it could just be something simpler like he just can't afford the payments anymore.

RobTrumpetPlayer

Car(s)
Golf R
APR+ and APR stage II aren't the same thing.

If you can afford the R but not necessarily afford to pay to play on powertrain items I would pass on the car. Don't believe anything the dealer says, they just want to sell you the car. They'll of course say it's covered but that's up to VW corporate and they're not as inclined to shell out cash for a flagged car if something comes up.

People are gonna come on and say that VW has to prove the tune caused the malfunction but that's not true. If the car is flagged and you grind up your transmission that's gonna be on your dime. If something non powertrain comes up you'll likely run into no problems getting service.
If you are going to tune it anyway, it's in good shape/price is right....why not? Just accept that you may run into snags with some powertrain-related warranty claims AND just get them to discount the cost accordingly based on that.
The sales manager was very up front regarding the voided powertrain warranty. The car has low miles at only 10k and the price seems to be already adjusted at $32.5. I suppose its a matter of weighing the risks involved with the Stage 2 tune as it relates to the engine, transmission, etc. I know it has been fitted with an upgraded clutch which is good.

RobTrumpetPlayer

Car(s)
Golf R
Jim's thinking of APR Plus which only applies to a specific tune. It's a more conservative tune than stage 1.

You'll definitely be at the dealers mercy when it comes to your powertrain warranty. They can easily deny it and leave you with the bill.

I bought a 2018 Golf R last year with 6.6k miles on it, but it was bone stock. I tuned it shortly after and not too long after that I totaled the clutch. The flywheel was really busted and had enough side to side movement that it gouged out big scratches inside the bellhousing. I also bent a couple teeth on the pressure plate. I have no idea if it was because of poor driving from the previous owner, or something I did, but I've been driving a manual for 12 years so I'd like to think it wasn't my fault. I always kinda assumed the previous owner was an older driver that got rid of it because they didn't enjoy the manual.

I'm not sure I'd want to buy someone elses tuned car. Especially since it only has 10k miles. My first thought is the dude got rid of it because it's giving him problems and he just wanted out of it...or it could just be something simpler like he just can't afford the payments anymore.
(y)(y)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The sales manager was very up front regarding the voided powertrain warranty. The car has low miles at only 10k and the price seems to be already adjusted at $32.5. I suppose its a matter of weighing the risks involved with the Stage 2 tune as it relates to the engine, transmission, etc. I know it has been fitted with an upgraded clutch which is good.

Sounds like a pretty good deal.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I was in your same boat, and in may of this year I pulled the trigger on an '18 R DSG that was stage 2 Unitronic ecu/tcu tuned. It had a uni dp and intercooler. Mine had 3300 miles on it and got it for 34.4 out the door. I weighed the options of used vs new back then and could have got a '19 R DSG for 39. I ended up favoring the 18 because of the mods. I understood the risk of no powertrain warranty and was wanting to mod the new car so I figured it was a saving by going with the one already modded with 4k worth of parts and software. Just my .02 to add to the pile of others. Lol

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I wouldn't do it... but that's just me.

I wouldn't be able to stand the thought of not knowing how the car was driven by a person wanting to "Stage 2" the car to begin with.

Just get something stock from a place you can trust. You'll be able to sleep at night, and you can mod it however you like.