GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burning rubber smell - right after start of vehicle - but goes away

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
Need some help diagnosting here.

Car is 15 manual and has 47k , got APR 1 at 42k, RS7 plugs, has stock clutch, downpipe and exhaust

Last 2/3 months car hasnt been driven much but lately prob about last 1k mi. the car smell like burnt rubber initially when i start BUT goes away after a min or 2. Smell is not as strong as a burning clutch. Checked oil, has no leak, coolant level is also fine, dont smell anything particularly bad from the engine, the car pulls and drives fine.

what do you all recommend ? should i keep driving or treat this more seriously like pull codes? pull the plugs and check? or take it to mechanic?

any advise is much appreciated. thanks!

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
nothing visually wrong there. No noise or smell when car is started.
Thinking about replacing that reading people replaces the drive belt at 50-60k anyway

could it be a small leak (oil) near the engine seals?

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
So the smell still pertains, it "Seems" to go away when AC recirculation is on.
Pulled carbin filter (the Mann Charcoal one replaced 1000 mi. ago) didnt smell anything from the filter itself.

pretty frustrated of where the smell is coming from. last night I removed plastic engine cover right after I drove it - noticed there is tiny bit if wet oil between the seams of the engine block - keep in mind i dont lose any engine oil or has drips on the floor. is this normal?

could the smell be coming from burnt oil because of a small leak? or maybe i should just replace the cabin air filter and see?

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Good call with the cabin filter test. It could be holding that odor indefinitely.

I picked up a plastic bag* on my exhaust piping a while back. Scared the shit out of me for a day or two smelling burning plastic, until I found the culprit. Best of luck here.