GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burning oil, 3/4 in 5k miles

Docterlat

Passed Driver's Ed
I know these cars burn a little bit of oil but half way through the recommended oil change it needs a big top off? I am currently running an xforcr full exhaust dp and cat, with injen intake, and a vibrant spacer. The car is on stock tune and i usually dont push it till temps get up, but even when temps have been up for 3 hours, it still spits oil or soot of some sort on cars behind me.

Any information would be appreciated

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Mileage is important with this question.
Also was the car previously tuned? I see you have an aftermarket downpipe, it’s usually a good idea to run a tune with that.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
3/4 what?

in my mk6 that was completely normal, as far as the mk7.... i do not know

i would say that i burned through approximately 20% of a quart every 1,000 miles or so and when time for an oil change (5-6,000 interval) I would usually be about a quart low... and i didn't drive that car super hard but i had fun with it

TimCv1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI mk 7, Tiguan MQB
So yeah the "crap on cars behind me" seems sus, but the consumption itself is within normal limits. German cars, it seems some use near the "acceptable" limit where others use hardly any. Some like Hondas never use any (at least in my experience) and Subarus, forget it, they all do.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So yeah the "crap on cars behind me" seems sus, but the consumption itself is within normal limits. German cars, it seems some use near the "acceptable" limit where others use hardly any. Some like Hondas never use any (at least in my experience) and Subarus, forget it, they all do.
The crap on cars behind him is troubling. 3/4 of a quart in 5k miles shouldn't cause any tailpipe crap.

He still hasn't said how many miles or what year of car.

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
I've sprayed the cars behind me w/ oil before (sorry dude in M3), just got the last free oil change at the dealer and the tech forgot to put the o-ring on the filter housing. As soon as boost came up over ~10psi a cloud of oil would appear behind me. I didn't notice on the highway at all since the oil was new and it was coming on dusk. Since OP is between changes, it doesn't seem like thats the case. Though, it is possible the o-ring has failed, but I doubt it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've sprayed the cars behind me w/ oil before (sorry dude in M3), just got the last free oil change at the dealer and the tech forgot to put the o-ring on the filter housing. As soon as boost came up over ~10psi a cloud of oil would appear behind me. I didn't notice on the highway at all since the oil was new and it was coming on dusk. Since OP is between changes, it doesn't seem like thats the case. Though, it is possible the o-ring has failed, but I doubt it.
Must have been a mess under the hood.

Docterlat

Passed Driver's Ed
Ill keep a look i just did the change it and torqued it but who knows maybe it for whatever dumb reason can vibrate or is just a faulty seal