GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

Pierreoj

Car(s)
Alltrack 2018
Good to know before installing the IS20. Reading back many pages back I was assuming that the 1.8t could run map1 or 2 on 91 without issue.

Can an intercooler help with that? Lower air temperature or lower pressure drop would help compressor efficiency at the same manifold pressure.

Now I really need to take a few logs!

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Good to know before installing the IS20. Reading back many pages back I was assuming that the 1.8t could run map1 or 2 on 91 without issue.

Can an intercooler help with that? Lower air temperature or lower pressure drop would help compressor efficiency at the same manifold pressure.

Now I really need to take a few logs!
91 on map 1 is not an issue and a noticeable upgrade.

carsarefordriving

Car(s)
Golf Alltrack

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the input all. I need some education: what's FOL?
I ran a log on map 2, found here: https://datazap.me/u/carsarefordriving/trimmed-m2-pull?log=0&data=1-4-11-14-25-26-27-28
Filled up with Shell 93 instead of.... whatever I was running before. Love's maybe? It's on the way to the interstate/work. I wish I had E85 closer, but the closest station with E85 is 12 miles away I think and not on the way to anything.
Looks at the limit but fine. There's some timing ticks but your trims and overall advance are fine. FOL also. I'd just continue to fill with 93 and leave it be. Were you empty when you filled up? I'd just leave it and check again after the next fill, if similar, you're done.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
As @goodvibes said, you're at the limit of your fuel now. It looks pretty good.

People love to shit on the JB4, but this box which you can get used, for less than the price of an intake, is worth like 30 or 40 HP on an essentially stock car. No other plug and play mod matches that for the price.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
As @goodvibes said, you're at the limit of your fuel now. It looks pretty good.

People love to shit on the JB4, but this box which you can get used, for less than the price of an intake, is worth like 30 or 40 HP on an essentially stock car. No other plug and play mod matches that for the price.
I forgot to mention that if they change gas formulations for winter where he's at, he should probably run map 1 during winter gas. I always knock off 1 psi for winter.

carsarefordriving

Car(s)
Golf Alltrack
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm in southeast Michigan, so we definitely get some sort of winter formulation. I've been pretty pleased with the improvements I've gotten using the JB4. I can understand why a lot of them end up on the used market though; it seems like you hit the limit of tuning pretty quickly.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm in southeast Michigan, so we definitely get some sort of winter formulation. I've been pretty pleased with the improvements I've gotten using the JB4. I can understand why a lot of them end up on the used market though; it seems like you hit the limit of tuning pretty quickly.
If you have access to ethanol, you can get more out of it.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
It's trade offs with tunes. If others use more boost, they do so by pulling timing a bit. The 1.8 stock tune has more advance than the 2.0 so you can get a bit more boost by running less timing with a program tune but there's not much there until you do mods like an IS20. The one thing you do get, is better throttle response from the new programming so a tuned car can be more responsive to the pedal and 'feels' faster. I use a throttle controller to help with that. If your car is stock, the JB4 is plenty. Just get a throttle controller if you want the pedal to react faster. Your current setup is likely as fast as a similar year GTI. Mine may be faster with the boost I can run here but not sure and I don't really care. I'm not racing. Just happy with what I got. :)

carsarefordriving

Car(s)
Golf Alltrack
It's trade offs with tunes. If others use more boost, they do so by pulling timing a bit. The 1.8 stock tune has more advance than the 2.0 so you can get a bit more boost by running less timing with a program tune but there's not much there until you do mods like an IS20. The one thing you do get, is better throttle response from the new programming so a tuned car can be more responsive to the pedal and 'feels' faster. I use a throttle controller to help with that. If your car is stock, the JB4 is plenty. Just get a throttle controller if you want the pedal to react faster. Your current setup is likely as fast as a similar year GTI. Mine may be faster with the boost I can run here but not sure and I don't really care. I'm not racing. Just happy with what I got. :)
I do have an IS20, intake elbow (came with the turbo, along with a turbo muffler delete), and a panel filter (AFE). and a DV spacer for fun boosty sounds. :LOL:
It's a bit of a drive to get E85. An ethanol content gauge would be needed also? Or do you guys estimate E content based on calculations?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I do have an IS20, intake elbow (came with the turbo, along with a turbo muffler delete), and a panel filter (AFE). and a DV spacer for fun boosty sounds. :LOL:
It's a bit of a drive to get E85. An ethanol content gauge would be needed also? Or do you guys estimate E content based on calculations?

When using a JB4, and not having access to change the timing, ballpark should be fine. You're gonna be limited by the stock pumps.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
IS20 wouldn't mind a tune. You aren't really benefitting from it without more octane or a tune. I (is12) can run higher #s than you are and not run out of pressure at high rpm simply because my gas is a little better. The benefit of the IS 20 is to run even higher boost and being able to maintain that advantage up top where the is12 will run out of steam with higher boost. You can do most of that that with a JB4 but you'll need to add E85 and turn up the FOL. I'd get a tune and add the JB4 to log and tweak up or down. You can even lower boost with a JB4 if you're getting a lot of timing hits with a tune. It may actually be faster and certainly feel more linear than noticeable timing corrections

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
When using a JB4, and not having access to change the timing, ballpark should be fine. You're gonna be limited by the stock pumps.
Yes on the pumps.

Every log I can recall of a flash on the 1.8 shows lower trims and afr than my car with the JB4, and the flash tunes still manage more fuel headroom with higher boost at top end.

Timing wise some of the flash tunes are at or near zero in low mid rpm but also boost 2 or more psi than JB4.

I'm thinking of trying Cobb but keeping the JB4 to stack/adjust for E or hardware changes. Like the JB4, the Cobb is not vin locked.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT