GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
The BT is the way to go. You'll get wireless logging and live gauges on your phone. It will be much easier to deal with Map 6 tuning if you choose to do so.
I definitely plan to do map 6 tuning, is it just a matter of not having a wire coming through the firewall and hoping there is enough length to run it around with enough slack to keep it plugged into the laptop all while trying to capture the live data or is there actual features I'd missing out on?

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
I use the data cable plus the android phone app. I keep mulling over the bluetooth but I'm a little paranoid about giving myself a tool that's too easy to change....that I might be too casual, accidental touches etc. I'm sure I'm in the minority here :)

the advantages with bt are no data cable, the ability to charge the phone, ease phone placement.

if.you decide to do the cable, make sure you protect it, especially where it runs into the cabin at the grommet. I didn't first time around and chewed through the cable.
So you use an adapter for the USB to plug it into your phone? Thing is, I've had the Cobb AP with mount on my previous car but have recently just like to keep my phone plugged into the car USB for Android Auto but I I do have a decent tablet and adapter I could use instead, so thanks for the visual ideas! And what do you mean by protecting the cable? Make sure I run it so it's not stepped on and pulled on, etc? Obviously I'd just run it along with the OBD wire through that grommet, any tips there?

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
So you use an adapter for the USB to plug it into your phone? Thing is, I've had the Cobb AP with mount on my previous car but have recently just like to keep my phone plugged into the car USB for Android Auto but I I do have a decent tablet and adapter I could use instead, so thanks for the visual ideas! And what do you mean by protecting the cable? Make sure I run it so it's not stepped on and pulled on, etc? Obviously I'd just run it along with the OBD wire through that grommet, any tips ther
the hole you thread through, between engine compartment and interior is metal and the edges can cut into the cable. I wrapped the cable with foam tape and tesa tape to protect in from rubbing.

thinking about it more, it was the obd cable I ruined, which you have to run to the cabin. The good news was the replacement obd cable was not expensive.

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
So I got my used JB4 installed tonight and went straight to map 2... Wow, definitely less lag down low, even had a Neuspeed power module on the higher setting and this blows it away. Far less lag and more power. But, I don't know how the firmware works, do I need to make sure to get the latest 1.8 file from George by asking him in an email? How about if I go IS20, do I need a different firmware for that? I don't understand how it knows what engine/turbo I'm running unless all the base settings pretty much apply to every combo. Also, for Map 6, what are the defaults set to? Same as Map 2 is as a preset? Seems like all the info out there jumps straight into Map 6 custom tuning and I don't know if I have good base values or the right firmware to start with.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
The firmware versions are just updates, they all do the same thing, and you should just get the latest. You'll be able to see what the map 6 defaults are when in the software you use to switch it to map 6, I think it's just zero all around if new, but used it could be anything, so don't try it without looking first. The JB4 works by reading the sensors and adjusting, it doesn't really care what your setup is as long as it can get data from it.

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
The firmware versions are just updates, they all do the same thing, and you should just get the latest. You'll be able to see what the map 6 defaults are when in the software you use to switch it to map 6, I think it's just zero all around if new, but used it could be anything, so don't try it without looking first. The JB4 works by reading the sensors and adjusting, it doesn't really care what your setup is as long as it can get data from it.
Yeah, nice, I finally got a hold of the guy who sold it to me who explained this as well.... So it looks like he did have a bunch of numbers set up for boost under map 6, I'll just have to go over those and adjust for my application when it comes down to it. I was able to connect with my laptop but am switching to Android and bought the app, but my USB A to USB C adapter only works with the laptop so I found I needed an Android OTG specific adapter, which I ordered same day from Amazon, so I'll be playing around with that more tonight... So I now know that technically I could even throw an IS20 in and Map 2 would work with it as well, I didn't realize the boost curves were essentially the same. In other words between what you and the seller said it's so basic and automatic, that's why nearly 100% of the discussion in the forums is discussing customizing Map 6, I wasn't really missing the basics at all! :)

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
Soooo, I had missed the setting to toggle on OTG in the app, so I'm connecting up, updated the firmware to the latest group 60 VAG EA888, but what if I'm only picking up boost, in both logs and the live android app gauges? I even tried saving a log and all it got was boost values.... No RPM, IAT, nothing else at all, those were all zero... sigh... I mean, at least I can access all the map functions, I see some pretty aggressive settings for Map6 set, nearly 100% sure it was set up for IS20 with Max boost safety set to 28. I'm pretty happy with map 2 performance in general, but I want to be able to log everything and play with Map 6. I think I have an older unit that has that Plug A but the latest install instructions say it's not for use on the 1.8 right? I did hook up to the red wire near the firewall for AFR, but if that wasn't hooked up I wouldn't even be able to change to map 2 right? I heard it's basically a JB1 if you don't hook that up...

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
uh... idk if any of the plugs are optional aside from the AFR tap... Although sounds to me like you don't have the OBD2 plug installed correctly. I've gotten similar symptoms when accidentally leaving that plug off after putting other stuff in the OBD2 port.

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
uh... idk if any of the plugs are optional aside from the AFR tap... Although sounds to me like you don't have the OBD2 plug installed correctly. I've gotten similar symptoms when accidentally leaving that plug off after putting other stuff in the OBD2 port.
Thanks for the suggestions, My unit has four larger plugs (plus AFR wire and OBD connection) and the install instructions clearly say that plug A is not used with the 1.8l, there is apparently no such plug for it to even go to on the 1.8l... But I'll especially double check the OBD connection when I get a chance later.

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
Well, first off, to explain further, I must have an old original JB1 that was upgraded to a JB4, they are the only ones that had the Plug A/4th plug that was never included on further revisions of JB1 nor even included in a JB4 sold new... So, still not getting readings for anything but boost even after re-seating the OBD connection and its wire to the harness. It's weird as it's acting like a JB1 but does allow me to change maps and offers custom map 6 etc. So I guess I have a bad connection in the harness somewhere but have no idea how to resolve this, I somehow doubt it's considered under warranty if this thing is a full 5 years old but I guess I can check with George.

00Zero

Go Kart Newbie
I'm looking for a mild bump on my 1.8t sportwagen auto, ideally I would like a a bit more top end about 200hp and 225lb-ft low down.

i assume this would just be a 1-2lb boot bump, is this possible staying with 87 octane?

with this small gain target would the jb4 offer much over the jb1?

what is the most someone has done on 87 octane with a jb4?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I'm looking for a mild bump on my 1.8t sportwagen auto, ideally I would like a a bit more top end about 200hp and 225lb-ft low down.

i assume this would just be a 1-2lb boot bump, is this possible staying with 87 octane?

with this small gain target would the jb4 offer much over the jb1?

what is the most someone has done on 87 octane with a jb4?

I'm not sure anyone has actually dyno'd a 87 octane JB4 car. I think most of your gains will be mid range, not top end because, the IS12 is a small turbo, your fuel isn't good, the timing curve on a 1.8 is pretty aggressive up top to make up for the low boost up top in the OEM tune. You can probably expect good gains up to like.. 4500-4700 rpm? Do you not have access to 91 or 93?

00Zero

Go Kart Newbie
I'm not sure anyone has actually dyno'd a 87 octane JB4 car. I think most of your gains will be mid range, not top end because, the IS12 is a small turbo, your fuel isn't good, the timing curve on a 1.8 is pretty aggressive up top to make up for the low boost up top in the OEM tune. You can probably expect good gains up to like.. 4500-4700 rpm? Do you not have access to 91 or 93?
Thanks for the info.

i have access to both 91 and 93 but would like to keep my running costs low on a daily for power that i will only sometimes use.

if timing is the issue than I would guess my best bet would be an apr stage 1 87 tune

Then later on add an is20 for gains up top and maybe a jb4 to tailor the tq curve better.

does anyone have compressor maps for the is12 and is20?

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Thanks for the info.

i have access to both 91 and 93 but would like to keep my running costs low on a daily for power that i will only sometimes use.

if timing is the issue than I would guess my best bet would be an apr stage 1 87 tune

Then later on add an is20 for gains up top and maybe a jb4 to tailor the tq curve better.

does anyone have compressor maps for the is12 and is20?

The APR 87 octane tune will probably be your best bet for all around power if you're willing to give up your powertrain warranty.

You can store multiple maps in the JB4 app so you could have a 87 map and a 91 or 93 map also. You just have to remember to load the 87 map when you go back to 87, or put the JB4 in map 0.

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
So, you guys may have seen my posts above about the used JB4 with 4 plugs, yada, yada... Well, it was a really old JB1 that was updated to JB4 but was used in Vegas and was totally cooked and just never read anything, and I only felt a small boost the first day then stopped... so, I'm returning it back to the seller, who's not happy, but he sold me a cooked piece of crap and I bought another used one off this forum classifieds, like new condition, beautiful, I installed and it works perfectly.

Only problem is that it came off a Golf R MK7.5 and either it comes with a full-on plug for the AFR or he did a mod for it, so I'm waiting for my T fit connector to add my AFR wire. Can anyone explain what it it actually does? I know you are *supposed* to connect it for any of the upper maps, but my AFR's seem to be reading just fine. Is this literally just to adjust the FOL if we are leaning out? Or are the AFR's I'm getting simply wrong and I'm gonna blow up my car? Here is a combo log, it is 2 pulls I made into 1, the 2nd half is the 2nd pull with shift into 4th gear. This is Map 3 on our very underrated "92" octane in the Northwest. Here in OR, WA, HI we have always had this "92 minimum" fuel made up in N. WA state, even before the e10 mandate. Well, when the e10 mandate kicked in, I think they said "hell with it, let's just keep refining it the same and not bother re-rating the octane either" and we have very solid actual 93+ octane here. Someone from Canada mentioned earlier that our 92 is better than their 94 and I believe it. Logs look absolutely perfect on Map 3, but yeah, it's a nice and chilly 39 degrees F out as well, so I'm sure that's helping. Just stock box intake "insuction" mods on otherwise stock IS12 car (Drop in, snow grate removal, silicone hose, TMD, TIP, heat wrapped silicone hose and extra heat deflection, semi-wrap on hot side of turbo, original plugs at 30k miles... I think I'm ready for Map 6, but will need the AFR connected for sure at that point. I also have an IS20 with install kit and RS7 plugs ready to go, but I'm a little intimidated to do it all by myself and my car buddies have been flaking on me lately, unfortunately.

Also, reading thru this entire thread I saw discussion over pedal tuners, etc. and I've found the "Enhanced Throttle Response" setting on the OBDEleven along with the JB4 is a great combo for drivability and responsiveness.

https://datazap.me/u/danbfree/map3?log=0&data=1-3-4-6-11-14-15-18-25-26-27-28

Last edited: