GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I'd try map 3 before moving on and really, get that flash tune and then piggy back the JB4. Stock ECU tune runs too much timing to take advantage of the IS38 on the 1.8.
It actually runs the perfect amount of timing for E30 though. ;) My advice is to turn the boost up as much as possible on pump gas, then start turning it up more on ethanol.

Try 18 PSI peak at 4000-4500, 17 PSI 5000-5500, 16 PSI 6000-7000.

You could also flatline the boost at 16 PSI, it would still be a HUGE gain up top. You'd definitely feel it on a highway pull. Will be super stout and efficient setup.

Last edited:

stout90

Passed Driver's Ed
It actually runs the perfect amount of timing for E30 though. ;) My advice is to turn the boost up as much as possible on pump gas, then start turning it up more on ethanol.

Try 18 PSI peak at 4000-4500, 17 PSI 5000-5500, 16 PSI 6000-7000.

You could also flatline the boost at 16 PSI, it would still be a HUGE gain up top. You'd definitely feel it on a highway pull. Will be super stout and efficient setup.
theres no ethanol where I live :(

im about to make the map 6 peak 18psi at 4-4.5. what about below that? enter 16psi at the lower rpms and then 17 at 3500?

stout90

Passed Driver's Ed
this look alright?

40F36169-110B-4741-8917-F098D98513E7.jpeg

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
theres no ethanol where I live :(

im about to make the map 6 peak 18psi at 4-4.5. what about below that? enter 16psi at the lower rpms and then 17 at 3500?

It's okay if you have no ethanol, you just have to deal with not being able to run as much boost as a flashed car. It will still be WAY faster than the stock setup. You'll also be running the system at a lower capacity which is great for reliability and longevity. You have a IC already, so you're in really good shape.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Anybody here is IS20, tuned and jb4 stacked can share me his map 6 settings, I just want to compare
Thanks
I am is20 tuned and stacked on ethanol. It really depends on what tune you have every one of them will have slightly different settings because they all approach it he tune different. APR is boost heavy and not much timing. Uni has more timing and less boost. I’m with Reflect and it’s somewhere in between

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
I have tried searching for this answer and have read a ton already, sorry if it's noob... I picked up a very used JB4 w/data cable only and just want to confirm that I do need to fully install it just to connect to it to check firmware, etc, right? I'm actually a computer guy so I know it's not gonna get power off of just serial and I know how to make sure the driver is installed/match COM ports etc. but I figured it would get power off the OBD then... so I took the whole mess out to my car, connected the OBD and married up it's single posi-wire to the harness but it still doesn't connect... I guess if you have to fully install it first for it to get it's power through the harness then that would be the downside of buying used and not being able to test it out before installing, heh... And since it's data cable only, which I don't mind, I'm gonna want to run that USB cable through the firewall so I can connect my laptop from the drivers seat instead of having to pop the hood, right? TIA, can't wait to get playing with this more!

Attachments

• 8mk4OFE.jpg
    8mk4OFE.jpg
    607 KB · Views: 36

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I have tried searching for this answer and have read a ton already, sorry if it's noob... I picked up a very used JB4 w/data cable only and just want to confirm that I do need to fully install it just to connect to it to check firmware, etc, right? I'm actually a computer guy so I know it's not gonna get power off of just serial and I know how to make sure the driver is installed/match COM ports etc. but I figured it would get power off the OBD then... so I took the whole mess out to my car, connected the OBD and married up it's single posi-wire to the harness but it still doesn't connect... I guess if you have to fully install it first for it to get it's power through the harness then that would be the downside of buying used and not being able to test it out before installing, heh... And since it's data cable only, which I don't mind, I'm gonna want to run that USB cable through the firewall so I can connect my laptop from the drivers seat instead of having to pop the hood, right? TIA, can't wait to get playing with this more!
I believe it's powered off the plug that goes in to the charge pipe sensor (the hardest one to get to). You might as well just install it.

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
For those of you who only have the USB data cable, is it worth poking an even bigger hole in the firewall grommet to have access to the laptop connection without having to pop the hood? I mean, seems like the only way to look at charts while car is running so you can pull over, look over and tweak things then pull out and go again... Also, other than the convenience of wireless connection, does having the app actually give you more actual features? Again TIA, I tried to research what I could and it seems almost everyone uses the BT connection and there is little info on using USB to a laptop.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
For those of you who only have the USB data cable, is it worth poking an even bigger hole in the firewall grommet to have access to the laptop connection without having to pop the hood? I mean, seems like the only way to look at charts while car is running so you can pull over, look over and tweak things then pull out and go again... Also, other than the convenience of wireless connection, does having the app actually give you more actual features? Again TIA, I tried to research what I could and it seems almost everyone uses the BT connection and there is little info on using USB to a laptop.
yes 100% worth it

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT

The BT is the way to go. You'll get wireless logging and live gauges on your phone. It will be much easier to deal with Map 6 tuning if you choose to do so.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I use the data cable plus the android phone app. I keep mulling over the bluetooth but I'm a little paranoid about giving myself a tool that's too easy to change....that I might be too casual, accidental touches etc. I'm sure I'm in the minority here :)

the advantages with bt are no data cable, the ability to charge the phone, ease phone placement.

if.you decide to do the cable, make sure you protect it, especially where it runs into the cabin at the grommet. I didn't first time around and chewed through the cable.