GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

SuperJ

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 sportwagen 4mo
This is what I just got from George:
91 Octane 1.8TSI MAP 6 IS12 baseline,

My only question is what should the baseline fuel setting be? Is 60 good?

Hi,

For the IS12 on 91 use the below settings in the map 6 boost chart.

1500 11

2000 12
2500 13
3000 14
3500 15
4000 15
4500 16
5000 15
5500 13
6000 13
6500 12

7000 12

Thanks,

George

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
So I just wanted to share some of my findings today. I just went Unitronic Stage 1 tune on my stock 1.8T, and before doing so I was running JB4 with a Map 6 setup on about E25 fuel. It's also worth noting that George and I actually weren't finished dialling in Map 6 yet, and it likely had more in it (no timing corrections at all).

The Unitronic tune is running ~2psi less between 4000-6000rpm and timing is within 0.5 degrees between the two at any given snapshot in the RPM range. The extra 2 psi is noticable, and quite honestly the E25 fuel setup on Map 6 did feel faster than just running stage 1. I confirmed my feeling by using Dragy. Unfortunately it's been wet out everyday, so the only fair comparison I could make without wheel spin was from 50-120kmh (31-75mph).
Map 6 w/ E25 did it in 6.56 sec
Unitronic Stage 1 did it in 7.15 (0.59 seconds slower)
I did multiple runs, and these were the best of.

My Map 6 settings had me peaking and holding around 15.2-15.5psi, where as the Unitronic is peaking 14.5 and holding about 13.5.
Each run varies a little bit as far as boost and timing go at any given point in the RPM. But for the sake of simplicity, on an overall average across the RPM range of 3500-6200, Map 6 with E25 was 1.775psi higher. Timing was basically a wash.

Overall, the flash tune does drive a bit better and definitely has better throttle response though :)

Time to stack?
Hey. The jb4 on e30 and the is12 is faster than any stage 1 and if you add the downpipe it's faster than any stage 2. I was running 24 psi peak on e30 with a downpipe. I never made it to the track, but I helped someone else with the settings on his 4dr golf auto. He pulled the spare and rear seat and then went 13.1@108.5. The fastest is12 time up to that point was an APR stage 2 manual that did 13 5@104. 9.
So the short answer, if you have e85 available to blend in, yes, time to stack. Then get an is20 or is38

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
I use the JB4 with a throttle controller set to it's minimum enhancement, OBD throttle to direct. Not going for warp speed like many here but I have zero complaints about the throttle response and it's also not too twitchy. Made it much more pleasurable to drive. Unless I started swapping turbos (I wont), don't know why anyone wouldn't be happy with this, especially when able to maintain a 6 year warranty. If you try a throttle controller like Burger, make sure to do the calibration on install.

By the same token, if I ever chose to swap blowers, I'd look at a tune and use the JB4 for tweaks and/or logs.

enguyen

Car(s)
Alltrack
Hey All - Currently have an Alltrack with IS20, CTS downpipe w/ the high flow cat, and JB4. Recently picked up the bluetooth connector and was hoping someone could help me with some map settings? I'm running 91 oct in CA. Thanks in advance for the help!

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Don't see how you can run higher than map 2 without alcohol if that. Log map 1 and 2 for a baseline and post via datazap.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
That's maxed out. One run on map 2 wasn't going to hurt anything if a bit much and it's currently within recommendations but at the limit without margin for gas quality etc. Probably better off with map 1 but OK with 2. IS20 is doing absolutely nothing for you. You'll need a tune or alcohol to fully benefit. I have a stock setup IS12 and can run more boost with 93.

Try the is12 #s a few posts up. More about boost vs timing than which blower. IS20 can make a lot more power but need higher octane or an ecu flash with different timing curve/protocols.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
That's maxed out. One run on map 2 wasn't going to hurt anything if a bit much and it's currently within recommendations but at the limit without margin for gas quality etc. Probably better off with map 1 but OK with 2. IS20 is doing absolutely nothing for you. You'll need a tune or alcohol to fully benefit. I have a stock setup IS12 and can run more boost with 93.

Try the is12 #s a few posts up. More about boost vs timing than which blower. IS20 can make a lot more power but need higher octane or an ecu flash with different timing curve/protocols.
Boost is not the full equation to power when the turbo is larger. I ran both is12 and is20 on the jb4. So let's set some facts straight. You can run higher than map 2 on 93 with the is12. Especially with a downpipe. As far as the is20, it certainly makes more power than the is12 with a jb4 and 93. The boost isn't that much different between the two, so I'm not sure where you are getting that you can run more boost on 93 with an is12 VS an is20. I ran about 18-19 psi peak on both turbos with 93 depending on outside temperature. The is20 will hold more boost to redline. Combined with it being a larger turbo, it will make more power. On a completely stock set up. I ran a map 6 that peaked around 16-17 psi on 93. It was noticeable improvement over map 2

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Boost is not the full equation to power when the turbo is larger. I ran both is12 and is20 on the jb4. So let's set some facts straight. You can run higher than map 2 on 93 with the is12. Especially with a downpipe. As far as the is20, it certainly makes more power than the is12 with a jb4 and 93. The boost isn't that much different between the two, so I'm not sure where you are getting that you can run more boost on 93 with an is12 VS an is20. I ran about 18-19 psi peak on both turbos with 93 depending on outside temperature. The is20 will hold more boost to redline. Combined with it being a larger turbo, it will make more power. On a completely stock set up. I ran a map 6 that peaked around 16-17 psi on 93. It was noticeable improvement over map 2
I said you can run more boost with an is12 on 93 than an is20 on 91. Never said you couldn't run higher with more octane. Even stated so in the post, and I already do. Just for reference, Here's my stock is12 with 93 and map 6.
https://datazap.me/u/goodvibes/11-13-15-16-17-17-17-17-16-15-14-13?log=0&data=1-4-25-27
Trims tight but I just dropped boost for the winter and will re-examine and add pressure in the spring.

It's still running over 14 psi where I would shift. He's currently running less at high RPM with correction due to his gas. You seem to be objecting to a lot of things never said or implied. Don't know how you read that in. All I said is that he shouldn't run a higher map until he does something about octane and that the is20 wont help until he does. We all know a tune will help once you upgrade the blower if higher octane is not available or if you don't want to add alcohol. If you are willing, JB4 is awesomer;) and can run with anything. I suspect we're mostly on the same page.

I'll let you advise him from here.

Last edited:

enguyen

Car(s)
Alltrack
Thank you both for your insights! I'll give the #s SuperJ posted a try and if anything revert back to Map 1.

Planning on stacking the current setup w/ a tune in the next couple of months. Just doing a bit of research on which tune makes the most sense w/ 91 octane without having to do too many supporting mods. If you have any recommendations please let me know

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Thank you both for your insights! I'll give the #s SuperJ posted a try and if anything revert back to Map 1.

Planning on stacking the current setup w/ a tune in the next couple of months. Just doing a bit of research on which tune makes the most sense w/ 91 octane without having to do too many supporting mods. If you have any recommendations please let me know
You need to get a goo third gear only log. From about 3,000 all the way up to 6,500, and then shift into 4th. Then we can see more of what's happening through the rpm range. 91 does suck, but an is20 on 91 is still going to make more power than an is12 on 93. Too mayb people shoot for boost and forget the importance of timing. Even in his log shared above. The kne where he says he makes more boost, his timing is taking a whack. He is losing 4 degrees uo top and 5 at spots in the midrange. I'd rather have that timing than shooting for too high of a target on the is12

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Timing pull is a function of boost and fuel, no? I now run 16 with less pull and will add fuel in spring. Trim was tight.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Timing pull is a function of boost and fuel, no? I now run 16 with less pull and will add fuel in spring. Trim was tight.
Yes, but 1-2 degrees of timing is worth more than a psi of boost. The jb4 also isn't tuning for timing. So it's not like a flash tune where you can find the right balance for mbt. You are best to follow the stock curve. In your log, you take a good hit at 3,600 and then at 4,800. The lower hit you lose 2-3 degrees, but the one at 4,800 you lose like 4-5. Each time you take those hits, it takes a bit to recover some back and it's then down across the entire log. So you kind of have to see how much boost you are gaining VS the timing loss. If you are only losing 1-2 degrees, but getting 2 more psi, it might be OK. I got to a good point on my is12 only, but I moved into a downpipe before I could fully tweak it. If I look at one of those really good logs, I was at 12 psi at 6,000 where you are at 13.6. I saw 16.5 degrees of advance there though. Myself and many others really found it best when the peak target was at 4,000-4,500 for the is12 and then taper off. If you try to carry more boost above that, it generates a lot of heat and your timing will take a hit. So I would start your taper there and then cut back to like 16 at 5,000 and continue to taper. At 5,000, you should be seeing 10+ degrees of advance. I used the stock timing curve on all of my maps up to is20 and 4 gallons of e85. If your trims start rising, just raise the FOL. We aren't like the gti where it's tough to go above 60. I ran FOL 100 on the is20 and e30. My is12, downpipe and e30 settings ran a 13.1@108.5 on a 4dr golf automatic. He pulled out the spare and back seat. So the map 0 baseline timing advance is always the best to follow

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Map 2 or tweak 6.