GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Used? Just use map 2 if it logs OK. You can get the boost #s from the target line in that log.

Supercrumpet

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SE 6MT
Might be a silly question, but if I don't connect via Bluetooth on my phone when I get in the car, the JB4 will remember the last map I was in (2 in my case) rather than defaulting to map 1, correct?

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Nope. Try map 3.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Thanks! Guys mind to share what other values are from your “user adjustment settings” page? Like to make sure I’ve got a clean default slate before playing in M6.
Just copy the other settings from the other maps. Those don't change. If your JB4 was new, Don't change anything else until you do a run and run map 6 defaults other than boost. The #s I gave are a little aggressive but I could run those on 93 here. I've since taken .5 psi out to remove all timing adjustments but on these cars, even pulling 2 degrees and change is considered OK. Here's a log i ran on 93. https://datazap.me/u/goodvibes/11-13-15-16-17-17-17-17-16-15-14-13?log=0&data=1-4-25-26-27

This is about where you want to be according to burger but just sacrificing .5 psi removed all timing adjustments and I'm not racing so I chose to do that. I was always going for most power with some margin but this log is very acceptable as is and represents an extra 7.5 psi in the upper band of a stock Alltrack with airbox tweak and drop in filter.

Last edited:

Whtwagon

Car(s)
19 Alltrack
The #s I gave are a little aggressive but I could run those on 93 here. I've since taken .5 psi out to remove all timing adjustments but on these cars, even pulling 2 degrees and change is considered OK.[/URL]

I took a smaller step, added a little on top of the M3 adds. M6on94 Log. No corrections, postivly incrementing timing, brings me to a few questions:

1./ Is there a generally agreed "timing advance target" at 6000rpm? Earlier posts, folks were looking for 18* at 6k, and suggesting cutting boost to retain that solid advance. Looking at my data, M1, M2, M3, M6 - all topping out around 14*

2./ In 20C/70F weather, otherwise stock on 94, how much abs boost is typically possible? Is timing correction the eventual limit, lack of advance, or something else at this octane? (I plan to stay additive for my region, unless someone provides compelling rationale to do contrary)

3./ What is the consensus on ideal boost "shape" for conservative/fun DD? Currently peaking in the 4-5k range, with taper up from pretty low at lower rpm, and smaller taper off up top. This is a 6MT 4MO, I generally shift short, excursions >5500 aren't frequent. Im a generally safe shifter, but would appreciate discussion on lower additive targets down low, vs keeping them up and adding a 1st/2nd gear redux.

Insights appreciated - thanks!

Last edited:

VdubAlltrack

Go Kart Newbie
I'll answer best as I can

1. 18 degrees timing advance is phenomenal and I have hit that a few times. However I am usually at 12-15. What you want is a steady climb of overall advancement. The higher the boost the lower the advancement generally. It also seems temperature in regards to IAT and ambient can affect the advancement as well.

2. The IS12 peaks at around 4200 rpm. Stock boost is somewhere at 10-12psi. On an E30 blend I have hit 19.9 psi at 4100rpm but tapers to 14psi at 5600rpm. Others have had better results with more mods and more ethanol.

3. I also have an Alltrack 6MT and do not wind it out to much. The IS12 really seems to run out of steam at higher rpms. I like to keep the boost in the lower rpm range. It's more usable for my driving style. My current summertime 95f plus weather setup has me around 17psi at 4000rpm tapering to around 12 at 6000rpm. Good bump from stock and as relative safe as it can be with no knock.

Good gas and/or ethanol blends can really help out these cars.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
I was looking at my logs today and noticed that even though I have the same peak psi across 3500 to 5000 on the various logs, there always seems to be very shallow boost dip in the 4500 to 5000 range. Since I was on a no timing correction map, I increased 4500 0.5psi which should make it closer to flat. I haven't logged but there is zero concern about it being too high here.

Here's an earlier log of the map I currently use without the added boost on a hot day. https://datazap.me/u/goodvibes/11-13-145-155-165-165-165-165-155-145-135-125?log=0&data=1-4
and another with 0.5 more psi that I run (2500 is -1psi here). https://datazap.me/u/goodvibes/11-13-14-16-17-17-17-17-16-15-14-13?log=0&data=1-4

Just thought I'd mention because this may be common on the 1.8tsi. It seemed consistent on every map I ran and some others I've seen.

Last edited:

Slick99

Ready to race!
hey guys, i have been checking my jb4 logs and noticed my IATs are climbing quickly but doesnt go below 40-45c as it used to, been running aftermkt Revo intercooler since 3 years but this time on hot summer i see IATs above 50c all the time and on full WOT it doesnt go below 45c. Ambient temp is mostly 30-34c these days. Should i check the intercooler and charge/throttle pipes if there's oiling inside? i usually run map1 or map6 and peak boost is 16psi on 97 RON fuel.