GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
1st, update the fw and the map assignment will be up to date and different than you're describing. I just did 8.8 alpha and am liking it but you can just get the current 8.5 and know it's sorted. https://dev.jb4connectkit.com/v1/firmwarelist.html

Current maps
Map 0: This is a stock map with JB4 logging ability. It is also the starter map for cars that are running flash tunes and are stacking the JB4.
Map 1: Tuned map with a average of 4.0psi over stock. This is the shipped map and is compatible for both 91 and 93 and can be used with cars on hardware.
Map 2: Tuned map with 5.0psi peak boost over stock. 93AKI/98Ron recommended
Map 3 Peak boost 6psi 93AKI/98Ron recommended
Map 4 Peak boost 6psi (Golf R and Audi S3 7speed DSG specific), it has a taper at higher rpm so will also work well for all on 93 in hot climates
Map 5 Absolute map peaking 25 tapers to 20psi. E30 with bolt ons needed. (not to be used on 1.8T or 2.0T Jetta)
Map 6: User adjustable boost map. The map comes preset with a 5.0psi over stock peak and is ready to use on any car running 93 octane. The preset map is also suitable for manual cars with clutch longevity in mind.
The mapping can be done in two manners. If the value at 1500 is kept below 10 it will work as a boost adder map. If the value at 1500 is higher than 10 it will work as a absolute map. This means actual total boost targets will need to be entered.
Map 7: Meth integration map using our FSB Meth controller
Map 8: This is a valet map/safety map where 50% of the boost is cut. It is also the starter map for cars that are running flash tunes and are stacking the JB4. It will give the ability to log the car via the JB4. This is also the safety map, so in any circumstance the JB4 detects a unsafe condition regardless of map it will default to this map. This includes knock detection, lean AFR or the boost safety value being triggered due to lack of boost control.

Start logging on map1 and if no timing adjustments, log map 2 and if clean, map 3. Still clean, tweak map 6.

I think the Map 8 description is off. Map 8 should not be used as a starting point for flashed ecu/stack cars. Flashed cars that wish to stack should log with Map 0, then proceed to Map 1 or Map 6 depending on Map 0 log results.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the info, I'll get on that. Is this thread also a good place to diagnose the CEL that appeared after finalizing the installation of the JB4?
Does your car have other engine mods? Which map are you on. Is it the right FW? Sounds like you bought a used device. Are you sure it's the correct FW settings and working correctly? On new fw and map 0, it's not adjusting anything. If you get a light on that map, it's either a poor installation or other defect.1st thing to do is check the FW settings.and connections There's a link to the jb4 threads on their site with more info on what settings should look like.

Kenjeet

Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SE 6MT
Does your car have other engine mods? Which map are you on. Is it the right FW? Sounds like you bought a used device. Are you sure it's the correct FW settings and working correctly? On new fw and map 0, it's not adjusting anything. If you get a light on that map, it's either a poor installation or other defect.1st thing to do is check the FW settings.and connections There's a link to the jb4 threads on their site with more info on what settings should look like.

Zero other engine mods. I did buy used. I am on map 1, I just flashed firmware 8.8 alpha. Reading your first reply, I believe I am in the correct map to start the logging/fine-tuning process.

Supercrumpet

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SE 6MT
Zero other engine mods. I did buy used. I am on map 1, I just flashed firmware 8.8 alpha. Reading your first reply, I believe I am in the correct map to start the logging/fine-tuning process.

Check FOL. I got my JB4 used and FOL was set to 70. Talked with George and he recommended I changed it to 50. That fixed the occasional CEL I had as well as a code I would get consistently (can't remember what the code was but it was related to fuel delivery). Happened to be on both maps 1 and 2, but I have no issues now.

Kenjeet

Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SE 6MT
Check FOL. I got my JB4 used and FOL was set to 70. Talked with George and he recommended I changed it to 50. That fixed the occasional CEL I had as well as a code I would get consistently (can't remember what the code was but it was related to fuel delivery). Happened to be on both maps 1 and 2, but I have no issues now.

Thanks for the tip. I checked all my connections and one of the AFR harness ports wasn't in all the way. Reset the codes, took some logs, and the CEL did not come back on as of now. I'll keep the FOL in mind!

Kenjeet

Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SE 6MT
I just took my first logs. I did four pulls only in third gear from about 25-80ish. Some of them got cut around 65-75mph. I was on map 1 the whole time. I live in Salt Lake City, Utah. The elevation where I was testing was probably around 4500 ft and it was about 95° F today. If someone could give me any sort of insight on my data I would greatly appreciate it! Here is the link: 09/04/20 Log
Thanks guys.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Says your done until you find better gas. I guess these read higher boost #s at elevation.

Last edited:

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
yup. You're pulling as much timing as you can without losing as much as you gain or pinging the cylinders with more boost. Don't see much point in tweaking here either as it's similar across the rpm range.

Kenjeet

Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SE 6MT
You mean no other maps? Or what?
I looked it up, and there is zero 93 gas in Utah. Since the altitude is higher, the air is thinner. That helps mitigate the risk of premature detonation. Therefore, there is no added benefit of 93 gas here.

Kenjeet

Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SE 6MT
yup. You're pulling as much timing as you can without losing as much as you gain or pinging the cylinders with more boost. Don't see much point in tweaking here either as it's similar across the rpm range.
Okay, that makes sense. Do you think it's worth it at all to try map 2, or nah?

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Nah but here's the thing, you can try it once but if so, do 1 full throttle run from 2k to past 6k in 3rd gear with the oil fully to temp to avoid all that other noise. If you see ign 2 though 4 have 3* peaks of timing correction on a stock Alltrack, that's too much and 1 more psi will get you there. Most of us set out cars up for minimal or 0 timing corrections because the difference between that and the limit is usually less than 1 psi (closer to 0.5). The timing corrections that you already have on map 1 would indicate that you don't have the headroom for map 2 (+1psi) and most here would tell you that you don't have 1/2 of that. 1 run on it won't break anything but it really looks like waste of time. The other thing that happens is that the overall advance (ign 1) can retard so much (to try and prevent the induced pinging) that you're not really making more power with the added boost and at that point it's all risk and no reward. I think just about everyone's recommendation here would be to leave it as is unless you find better gas. Regardless of what you read, higher octane would allow you more boost and power.

Last edited:

Whtwagon

Car(s)
19 Alltrack
Took a peek at map6 setup - saw it is absolute by default, at least in mine (...I sort of expected additive values).

For the 1.8, what does the default equivalent additive map look like down low, I know it’s largely +5, but where does it deviate? 6MT AT, like idea of some extra clutch patience. Are there any other parameters in there to double check; FOL 45, FuelTrims 100...what else.

Thanks all.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
What's the peak boost? Absolute values would be very different for the 1.8 and 2.0. I'd basically copy map 2 and and take off 1 psi below 3.5k but really, just using map 2 should be fine. Clutch wear will have a lot more to do with how you drive.

Whtwagon

Car(s)
19 Alltrack
Shows absolute of 23psi@4000rpm !

I’m good with “copy map2 and taper <3500, just need to appreciate what map2 really is - is it really +5 top to bottom?

Last edited: