GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

DahlbackRSI1

It looks like your safety is off. The problem could be related to calibration of the wastegate actuator?

I did not calibrate the wastegate after IS20 install. Since it was used I was hoping it would be OK. What do you mean by safety? How can you tell by the graph?

The car feels faster but not much low end. Probably due to larger turbo. However, I expected a more significant increase jumping from IS12 to IS20. To be honest I don't fell much of a difference between running Map 4 and this Map 6.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I did not calibrate the wastegate after IS20 install. Since it was used I was hoping it would be OK. What do you mean by safety? How can you tell by the graph?

The car feels faster but not much low end. Probably due to larger turbo. However, I expected a more significant increase jumping from IS12 to IS20. To be honest I don't fell much of a difference between running Map 4 and this Map 6.

The safety is what we call the "nanny", which on our cars is the 6-Cyl Timing Setting. I downloaded your CSV and saw it was set to 1 which is safety is off. You're allowed to boost past 9 psi over ECU boost.

Try additive numbers.

DahlbackRSI1

I didn't pay much attention to additive values during my research. Would you be able to help me with a starting point for IS20? Is it additive to ECU Psi in the log or the actual boost from Map 4?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I didn't pay much attention to additive values during my research. Would you be able to help me with a starting point for IS20? Is it additive to ECU Psi in the log or the actual boost from Map 4?

I'm going to make you do the work.

1. Click on this link for a different view of your log: https://datazap.me/u/dahlbackrsi/log-1592399624?log=0&data=1-4-15
2. Run your cursor across the screen and note the delta between BOOST and DME_BT.
3. Write down the delta values for 3000, 3500, 4000, 4500, etc etc
4. Plug in these values in your map 6.
5. Just put 3 in to 1500,2000,2500 for now.

Last edited:

VdubAlltrack

Go Kart Newbie
Not the best log but here it is. Oem R downpipe. 93octane 90f
https://datazap.me/u/vduballtrack/90f-r-downpipe?log=0&data=1-3-4-11-15-18-25-26-27-28 Screenshot_20200623-194950.png

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Looks great but I'd be slightly disappointed that I can't support more boost above 4.5k. I'd suspect you were expecting to achieve a flatter boost curve up top. I theory it should be easier than in a GTI with the IS20 and especially now with a less restrictive downpipe. Might be time for a tune and piggyback the JB4 to get your value from the other mods. That said, it's going to pull away from me without those other mods.

On a side note, I slightly pulled both a GTI and a V6 Acura TLX in the last few weeks while on the hwy. Never understand why people change speed to stop your progress.

Last edited:

VdubAlltrack

Go Kart Newbie
Looks great but I'd be slightly disappointed that I can't support more boost above 4.5k. I'd suspect you were expecting to achieve a flatter boost curve up top. I theory it should be easier than in a GTI with the IS20 and especially now with a less restrictive downpipe. Might be time for a tune and piggyback the JB4 to get your value from the other mods. That said, it's going to pull away from me without those other mods.

On a side note, I slightly pulled both a GTI and a V6 Acura TLX in the last few weeks while on the hwy. Never understand why people change speed to stop your progress.

The IS12 definitely runs out of steam at the higher rpm, but still it pulled much better with the R pipe than stock pipe.
My only mods are air filter, jb4 and r downpipe.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
I thought you had an IS20. If that's an IS12, looks great:). Any fuel bias? How'd you adapt the downpipe fitting.

VdubAlltrack

Go Kart Newbie
To connect the R pipe I bought a few reducer/adapter sleeves, 2.25-2.5 inch, ID and OD, but none worked. The R pipe is 65mm and stock is 60mm. So I cut one of the sleeves lengthwise and slid it over the stock exhaust. Then bought a oem R 65mm clamp. It worked perfect but it would have been better to get a 65mm to 60mm ID adapter.

What about fuel bias? I believe it's at 60 on JB4.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Just wondering if you changed it. Looks like a viable upgrade. Wonder why it can hold more midrange boost with the downpipe but glad it worked out. Probably getting cooler cylinders. Not entirely sure why, but IAT sure looks good for conditions.

VdubAlltrack

Go Kart Newbie
The outside temp was right at 90 degrees Fahrenheit. I had been driving for a about 5 miles, mostly moving, a couple stops at traffic lights. If I had been sitting still or driving it hard I'm sure the IAT's would have been higher. But no doubt that the R pipe moves the exhaust gas better than the stock one.

I'm sure i can get some more logs soon, and some with e-blends too.

SuperJ

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 sportwagen 4mo
Hi I have 2018 Sportwagen with a manual transmission. I’ve been running map1 for a year. I’m happy with the power but would actually like to take a little boost off below 3000rpm?
Can someone advise on some map6 additive values that would equate to map1? Or is map1 really just 4psi across the board? I assume there is some ramp and taper with rpm.
Also thinking of using the boost by gear to knock 1st gear down a touch. The little turbo seems a little too boosts down low for my tastes.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
If you have decent gas, just use the base 6 map. It will have similar boost to map 2 up top but low boost lower to save the clutch. At least that's what I recall.