GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
For me, wheelspin is easier to control with is20. The boost rise is softned a bit compared to the 12 and you can make better use of the much bigger power past 4800 rpm. The 12 comes in fast and hard like it's supposed to.

Without AWD these setups will never be punch it and go. But neither are high hp rwd. Most cars at this power/weight will go up in smoke.

The Alltrack and 4motion GSW DSG's are geared lower than the GTI and R manual or auto. That might help the is20 or is38 spool or at least be in their effective powerband lessening the perceived lag. This should be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
The Alltrack and 4motion GSW DSG's are geared lower than the GTI and R manual or auto. That might help the is20 or is38 spool or at least be in their effective powerband lessening the perceived lag. This should be interesting.

Maybe heading toward legendary sleeper status and speed/dollar. Lock up your kids. Or at least bring the car back to stock when they turn 16.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Wow is right! If you can get hold of the graph, type of dyno, and logs if possible, it would be awesome to have posted here. A definitive mod list, fuel used etc. would be awesome. It sounded like E85 mix and DP from what you posted before. I am assuming these are crank numbers? If so, we'll have to see what correction factor/drive train loss % was used to get to these numbers.

If we reverse engineer using APR's 1.8 stage II numbers from here:
http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_18tsi_gen3_mqb.html
Then we are looking at something like the following:
whp = 316 * 0.914 = 288 whp
wtq = 361 * 0.931 = 336 wtq

Edit: had the post up for a while before I posted. Looks like the mods are about what I expected.

He has a pic of the dyno sheet up on the Facebook group. It was on a dynojet and it was whp. He has downpipe, intake, 3 gallons of e85 and I think a catback

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
nevermind..Weird.....there weren't all these posts just a second ago...

I know. I just looked back and there were a bunch of posts I didn't see first time. I helped him out with his logs. He is hitting over 26 psi and tapering down to over 21 at redline.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
1. ?
2. ?
3. FOL 70 and the trims drop. That was the trick. I've been doing it on my IS12 for a couple of weeks and have done a handful of logs. I've hit over 25psi with my trims maxing at 47. FOL 60 had them at 51 on 23 psi. I'm going to try another psi just to see how it looks. If it's still good, I'll add a little more. This won't be my every day setting though. This is strictly just testing out the limits. Who knows if FOL 75 or 80 is possible. The 60 setting was all based on the 2.0 engine. It was and is an unknown still with the 1.8

You must be the highest boost is12 outside of brand name tuner R&D.

Thanks for pushing the limits and sharing what you know

Are you going to do a dyno or drag run? It would be interesting to see what you got on stock turbo.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
He has a pic of the dyno sheet up on the Facebook group. It was on a dynojet and it was whp. He has downpipe, intake, 3 gallons of e85 and I think a catback

Man, this is awesome! I'll try to find it later if it is public. George has to be very happy about this!

You must be the highest boost is12 outside of brand name tuner R&D. Thanks for pushing the limits and sharing what you know

Ditto, I appreciate it as well!

All wheel drive gets DSG, so they're top doggo.

Perhaps. We also must consider, depending on trim, the standard Golf TSI still has the advantage of weighing about 300-400 lb less (~10%) than the GSW 4-Motion or Alltrack with DSG. Drivetrain losses will also be more significant with AWD. The TSI also gets better mpg when we aren't getting into it;). It will be interesting to see when more tuned cars hit the track so we can witness how the power can be laid down. Exciting times for the 1.8t's!

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
You must be the highest boost is12 outside of brand name tuner R&D.

Thanks for pushing the limits and sharing what you know

Are you going to do a dyno or drag run? It would be interesting to see what you got on stock turbo.

Thanks. Im hoping to get to the track this season. I believe my e25 boost settings are higher than any tuner. Most I've seen from them are around 23. When I compared logs from Melted and Monkey, my timing looked a little better as well. So far I've only been able to match or beat them with e85 though. I'm going to see how I do on just 93 though with my new FOL settings. Maybe the added fuel will help

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
Man, this is awesome! I'll try to find it later if it is public. George has to be very happy about this!

Ditto, I appreciate it as well!

Perhaps. We also must consider, depending on trim, the standard Golf TSI still has the advantage of weighing about 300-400 lb less (~10%) than the GSW 4-Motion or Alltrack with DSG. Drivetrain losses will also be more significant with AWD. The TSI also gets better mpg when we aren't getting into it;). It will be interesting to see when more tuned cars hit the track so we can witness how the power can be laid down. Exciting times for the 1.8t's!

Yep, the mpg is a sore spot coming from a TDI and the golf r even gets better mpg with more power. That is what the variable exhaust timing will get you, a flatter torque curve under load and more efficiency while cruising. The gearing in the 4motion should take up some of the weight advantage of the fwd cars and I think the traction helps mask some of the drivetrain loses from fist through third. Since it is not full time awd it will only have the loses when the rear is engaged for traction but yes there are some disadvantages to the awd. I would like to see two similarly modded fwd golf vs awd wagon make a pass to see the results.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
I see the news has spilt over. Will post the dyno for now and add some logs later of the different runs. The 289 and 291 runs with different torque levels is more or less where I though we would be close to the 300whp mark. The owner of the car started off conservative and then told me he does not mind if he breaks something so we went on and did logs and pushed the car further. These are tried and tested runs and not a result of setting the car on the dyno but on the road. At least we all know now what it can do with the IS20 and I guess if something does go wrong knock on wood we can think Chris for pushing the envelope as these have been his daily settings for a while now.
PS these are wheel readings on a dyno jet.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
I see the news has spilt over. Will post the dyno for now and add some logs later of the different runs. The 289 and 291 runs with different torque levels is more or less where I though we would be close to the 300whp mark. The owner of the car started off conservative and then told me he does not mind if he breaks something so we went on and did logs and pushed the car further. These are tried and tested runs and not a result of setting the car on the dyno but on the road. At least we all know now what it can do with the IS20 and I guess if something does go wrong knock on wood we can think Chris for pushing the envelope as these have been his daily settings for a while now.

Amazing. Great work guys!

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie

I remember when I first started going over logs with him and had to tell him to stop. Lol. His first attempts were running a little lean until we got the FOL figured out. So far it's been working good other than the one overboost that I got. Hasn't happened again though. Thanks for all of your help George. It always amazes me how quickly you respond to emails.
John

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
The 4000 RPM hp for the 316 run is stage 2 GTI level. The power curve looks healthy everywhere.

Anybody know what size catback he was running?