GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
It's a quarter inch bigger at the outlet pipe after the final cat and the pipe between the cats. Otherwise It's about the same. It may help some, but no one has tried it that I know of. The biggest benefit to aftermarket downpipes is the removal of the first cat.

I am on my computer now so much easier to type. I am considering an aftermarket Golf R down pipe, just not sure what brand yet. Also thinking about a Catback but they don't make them for my car yet and I don't really think I need 3 inch all the way back or want the noise either. I was thinking maybe an OEM Golf R Catback just to bump it to 2.5 inch, cut the tips off and extend the tailpipes to the back with single tips to fit my cutouts. The 4motion is great but it is so new that nobody makes anything for it yet.:(

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Aftermarket Golf R should fit. Especially the ones that only mount at the bottom rubber thing. Like APR.

Some have an extra mount in the mid section like OEM. But I bet those fit too.

Call APR or UNI and ask.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
APR lists the Alltrack and 4motion GSW as compatible.

I think any Golf R downpipe will work. Like Ton has said though, the most restrictive part of the factory pipe is the converters. That's why the stock Golf R pipe might not do much at all. Once you get the DP done do some logs and see how it looks. If you are maxing out trims or reaching a boost limit, ill share some tips.

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
Reading through this thread is getting me a bit excited. I have a JB4 on standby that I'm not installing until I get some warranty work taken care of on my GSW LE (pano roof leak & auto trans leak).

Does anyone have any video of the acceleration w/the JB4 vs stock? Just curious how big of a difference it makes once you fine-tune the map6.

I personally don't plan on doing E85 due to the hassle of only having 1 station in my entire state but I might do a downpipe on the stock exhaust. I've considered getting an IS20 and holding onto it for future use but not immediately. I have a 2015 WRX w/every bolt on and a custom tune and the thing feels balls slow compared to a buddies GTI stage 1 with stock exhaust/dp. If I can get my GSW to be about as fast as my WRX I'd sell that thing since I barely drive it. I like the refinement of the VW and the wagon space/sleeper status :D but having an open-differential with that much power is a concern.

Kinda in the same boat as TwinDad..."should I sell my GSW for an alltrak DSG and make it a mini-R" has crossed my mind 100 times. I've even thought of trading both cars on a new 2018 R after researching those and realizing how stupid-fast they can be but they are wayyyy overpriced and they got rid of the base model so you'd be spending 40k+TTL. Why VW doesn't at least put the 2.0 in our wagon is a damn shame.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
i dont recall seeing this but are you guys staying on stock temp plugs when adding the JB4?

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
Reading through this thread is getting me a bit excited. I have a JB4 on standby that I'm not installing until I get some warranty work taken care of on my GSW LE (pano roof leak & auto trans leak).

Does anyone have any video of the acceleration w/the JB4 vs stock? Just curious how big of a difference it makes once you fine-tune the map6.

I personally don't plan on doing E85 due to the hassle of only having 1 station in my entire state but I might do a downpipe on the stock exhaust. I've considered getting an IS20 and holding onto it for future use but not immediately. I have a 2015 WRX w/every bolt on and a custom tune and the thing feels balls slow compared to a buddies GTI stage 1 with stock exhaust/dp. If I can get my GSW to be about as fast as my WRX I'd sell that thing since I barely drive it. I like the refinement of the VW and the wagon space/sleeper status :D but having an open-differential with that much power is a concern.

Kinda in the same boat as TwinDad..."should I sell my GSW for an alltrak DSG and make it a mini-R" has crossed my mind 100 times. I've even thought of trading both cars on a new 2018 R after researching those and realizing how stupid-fast they can be but they are wayyyy overpriced and they got rid of the base model so you'd be spending 40k+TTL. Why VW doesn't at least put the 2.0 in our wagon is a damn shame.

I had a 2012 Golf TDI that went back on the buyback. It was paid off and I was going to get the R but after they got rid of the base model and I priced the insurance I decided to role the dice on the 4motion wagen. I couldn't be happier with that decision. This thing is a blast, the wife and I both frequently get compliments on our wagons and I have surprised more then a few people from the light. If you traded them both I wouldn't get the R either. The 1.8 is just fine and the 4motion in the Alltrack and GSW is the same as the R with slightly different gearing in the trans. My 4motion GSW gets amazing amounts of traction on just the the stock 16 inch conti's. On JB4 map2 everything else stock I can beat my nephews 2014 Focus ST and he has a Cobb intake and catback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
First report back from a friend who is doing a dyno on his JB4 and IS20. 4th gear pull and he laid down 291hp and 334tq and hit the speed limiter. Waiting to hear back on more details

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
316hp and 361tq final. I guess this shows there is no need to stack. The IS20 is even more tempting now

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
i dont recall seeing this but are you guys staying on stock temp plugs when adding the JB4?

I went with RS7 plugs once I did the downpipe and started mixing in e85. I think anything under 16 psi the stock ones are probably ok though

Ton

Go Kart Newbie

I feel the same way. Used 2015 R is still going for over 30000! Nice car, but you can get a low mile gen6 mustang gt for 26. I've driven both. The R is nice, but I would take the GT and buy a motorcycle or at least hookers and blow with the extra money. Used AWD A3 is low 20k. That would be a great car tuned.

My JB1 Golf was faster than a focus ST and faster than a stock GTI. These were at settings where I was likely putting down 210 wheel peak. The heavy torque boost on the low end made it feel faster than it was. Snappy.

JB4 with is20 at very conservative settings and around 240 wheel feels a level faster. Most of the low end of the is12 with continuous pull to red line.

Jb4 is20 with basic no fuss 91octane settings should be around 250peak with good top end.

Jb4 is20 with good gas should be at least 260-270 without a problem

JB4 with is20 downpipe e85mix and some tweaking :) 300 plus.

More power than tire for most people and a heck of a thing with AWD.

Last edited:

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Holy Moly! If I could be at 300hp I'd be pretty happy :D. That's my goal with this car.
How's the clutch holding up on that car?