GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

donJimenez

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GSW 1.8t
Inspired by the chap who posted the spreadsheet capture with some map 6s, I gathered ten Map 6 settings (IS12) from this thread (mostly starting points and some fully realized) and figured out the Min, Avg, and Max settings. This will be my starting point (waiting for a Posi-Tap to hook up the AFR wire) for Map 6. I've yet to log my car on anything but Map 0 and 1.

Attachments

• map 6 - sheets2.PNG
    map 6 - sheets2.PNG
    10.8 KB · Views: 68

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
Hello @danbfree, could you please share your Map 6 settings (missing four data points on the log: 1500, 2000, 6500, 7000)? Thanks!
Sorry, I didn't get a notification for this, I'm getting my IS20 installed right now and don't have those settings but just fill them in with numbers that make sense, 1500 should be 10.5 and have the upper ones dropping off one psi each, so if 6000 is set for 16, then go 15,14 for the last two. Actually you have the chart above, just use that to dial in to your fuel.

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
Thanks, and Godspeed with that is20 install.
So, all done, feels great! It was just a kid using a single wide garage and no lift but he did a great job! Car feels amazing, catted downpipe helped spool more than bigger turbo hurt so even part throttle feels better. Still some smell with 200 cell cat, I'd recommend a 300 cell for those who need to knock out more of the smell, which many more expensive downpipes than my ARM do have. I used an exhaust reducer to use the stock exhaust, which is a little louder and throatier now but still not bad as a sleeper. :)

For those out there who have the IS20 and 09G automatic with JB4, do you use the "auto shift redux" setting? I only had one chance to really step on it and it shift under boost but it shifted really hard, so I'm gonna try a setting of 50 for the boost reduction so it's not as hard on the transmission. I may have to play around with that setting so it feels firm but not harsh.

donJimenez

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GSW 1.8t
Congrats on the IS20 install. Sounds like a winner! (saw your post on MK7 FB group). Is this the same kid did your lowering springs? I need to find me one of them...lol

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
Congrats on the IS20 install. Sounds like a winner! (saw your post on MK7 FB group). Is this the same kid did your lowering springs? I need to find me one of them...lol
Different guy, but I also have a legit independent shop that is really reasonable and takes customer parts too, all happened from finding a regional FB VW/Audi group. I'm sure there are good size VW/Audi groups for FL!

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
For those out there who have the IS20 and 09G automatic with JB4, do you use the "auto shift redux" setting? I only had one chance to really step on it and it shift under boost but it shifted really hard, so I'm gonna try a setting of 50 for the boost reduction so it's not as hard on the transmission. I may have to play around with that setting so it feels firm but not harsh.
I kinda figured this one out on my own, but seems like there are weird traction control issues if you let up hard in D mode with traction control on. I need to get my replacement OBDeleven from the mail and turn off TC by default, but should still be able to enabled it as needed hopefully. I'll just have to go thru the available options.

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
OK, so fun little lesson learned, don't leave your OBDeleven in after using it and forget to reconnect your JB4 and expect to put a gap on people, LOL... I used my OBDeleven to change my traction control and forgot to reconnect my JB4 and drove home 27 miles then back to work tonight 27 miles and I didn't know why I wasn't pulling very hard, LOL... I mean, I still had good responsiveness over stock from the DP, but when the OBD for the JB4 is not connected it defaults to Map 0/stock. So I was basically maxing out at 9psi psi hitting stock torque targets with my IS20, LOL...

So, a couple of questions, if anyone that knows the answers to, and just to be clear, specifically IS20/09G combo and JB4 only for tune:
Does anyone use the "Boost shift redux" setting with the 09G auto? From what I could gather, you can set this to 30-70 for a percentage of boost reduction during a shift and although it is apparently originally meant for the DSG, I figured I would try it out to help not destroy my trans. I have set it to 30 for now just so it's not hitting 18psi of boost thru the trans while coming into a higher gear. Shifts seem less intense than before even with IS12, it would pull nice and hard after a no lift full auto shift into the next gear and that seems to be dialed back now.

IS20 and 6-cyl timing setting: I just set that setting to "1" to allow more than 9.9psi of *added* boost over stock? So if I'm not using ethanol and can only hit about 17.5-18psi before getting corrections with my fuel, it doesn't even need to be set at all or should I leave it at "1" anyway?

Edit/update: Yes, you set 6-cyl timing to "1" with IS20 to get more than 9.9psi added to stock tune, and I'm having issues other than traction control/shift boost.

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
OK, so fun little lesson learned, don't leave your OBDeleven in after using it and forget to reconnect your JB4 and expect to put a gap on people, LOL... I used my OBDeleven to change my traction control and forgot to reconnect my JB4 and drove home 27 miles then back to work tonight 27 miles and I didn't know why I wasn't pulling very hard, LOL... I mean, I still had good responsiveness over stock from the DP, but when the OBD for the JB4 is not connected it defaults to a +2psi safe mode. So I was basically maxing out at 12 psi with my IS20, LOL... I didn't catch on because although I have the phone app and a mag mount to put it up and monitor, I never launched the app until I was almost back to work and then noticed I was only getting boost numbers, all others were 0 and from my experience before with a JB4 and bad OBD connection I knew it was OBD connection related. So I reached down there and sure enough, the OBDeleven was still connected! :)

So, a couple of questions, if anyone that knows the answers to, and just to be clear, specifically IS20/09G combo and JB4 only for tune:
Does anyone use the "Boost shift redux" setting with the 09G auto? From what I could gather, you can set this to 30-70 for a percentage of boost reduction during a shift and although it is apparently originally meant for the DSG, I figured I would try it out to help not destroy my trans. I have set it to 30 for now just so it's not hitting 18psi of boost thru the trans while coming into a higher gear. Shifts seem less intense than before even with IS12, it would pull nice and hard after a no lift full auto shift into the next gear and that seems to be dialed back now.

IS20 and 6-cyl timing setting: I just set that setting to "1" to allow more than 9.9psi of *added* boost over stock? So if I'm not using ethanol and can only hit about 17.5-18psi before getting corrections with my fuel, it doesn't even need to be set at all or should I leave it at "1" anyway?

TLDR all of it.. But if you have the latest firmware, when the OBD is unplugged, it defaults to map 0 (no added boost).

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
and the IS20
A bigger turbo, even if not by much, still takes more to spool it, but the DP helped with that... beyond that, typically a bigger turbo would be making more power at the same boost, but map 0 would have kept the torque targets the same, so was probably making even less than IS12 boost levels. So all in all, just more responsiveness, stock power at less needed boost than an IS12.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Within efficiency range, boost is boost. It's not really true that a larger turbo makes more power at the same boost unless the smaller turbo is running outside its efficiency range.