GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Should I drop the boost a little bit? So basically fueling is running out of capacity?

There looks to be some other issue. That car's ECU is probably deciding it needs to go to EGT protection mode which makes it go 10.x:1 AFR which the HPFP looks like it can't keep up with for the air flow that car has. On my car, if FP_H drops below 8 at full boost, the car will cut power momentarily.

Fowvaydriver

Ready to race!
There looks to be some other issue. That car's ECU is probably deciding it needs to go to EGT protection mode which makes it go 10.x:1 AFR which the HPFP looks like it can't keep up with for the air flow that car has. On my car, if FP_H drops below 8 at full boost, the car will cut power momentarily.
What do you suggest ? He did have a few times boost cut out. Uni seems to be running a LOT of timing advance. Way more than apr does .

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
What do you suggest ? He did have a few times boost cut out. Uni seems to be running a LOT of timing advance. Way more than apr does .

You have a problem which may not have a solution.

1. The car sometimes wants to run 10.x:1 in the 4000 range and the HPFP can't keep up.
2. The car sometimes wants to run 10.x:1 in the 5000 range. The fuel pressure is dropping, but you're far from power cut. Unfortunately, the car is showing timing pull there. It's very possible the mixtures TOO rich there.

3. That uni tune really isn't running *that* much timing. I've seen IS12 and IS20 UNI tunes that run waaaaay more than that.

Do you have a Map 0 log of the car? Which specific Unit tune is it?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
egt too high?... Are they running the stock downpipe?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
egt too high?... Are they running the stock downpipe?

It's modeled. There is no egr sensor. There is probably a table that says: at this turbo pressure ratio, at this IAT, at this rpm, the egt should be this. It's very likely Unitronic didn't modify these tables, or set them up really really safe.

Last edited:

Fowvaydriver

Ready to race!

1. The car sometimes wants to run 10.x:1 in the 4000 range and the HPFP can't keep up.
2. The car sometimes wants to run 10.x:1 in the 5000 range. The fuel pressure is dropping, but you're far from power cut. Unfortunately, the car is showing timing pull there. It's very possible the mixtures TOO rich there.

3. That uni tune really isn't running *that* much timing. I've seen IS12 and IS20 UNI tunes that run waaaaay more than that.

Here you go... map 0
https://datazap.me/u/fowvaydriver/log-1605623342?log=0&data=1-4

Fowvaydriver

Ready to race!
It's applying corrections even on Map 0. Pretty typical of Unitronic. Is ethanol an option? If yes, I'd throw in 2 gallons of ethanol and fill the rest with 93. Should pick up some power there without any added boost. If that looks good you can revisit with a map 6 maybe.
That’s a bummer. I have had great sucesss stacking jb4 over apr is38 tune. Wonder why its
Not as effective on a uni tune?

Fowvaydriver

Ready to race!

Why dies the car want to run 10.x afr?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
That’s a bummer. I have had great sucesss stacking jb4 over apr is38 tune. Wonder why its
Not as effective on a uni tune?

More timing means less room for boost at a given octane. The JB4 is just a fancy boost controller. You're going to need to improve octane.

Maybe he can try Torco or Boostane. Do some research on that.

3PDL_LNGRF

Car(s)
16' Sportwagen
Can anybody confirm that I can use a Group 2 JB4 on my Sportwagen?
I have seen comments that there is no difference between Group 2 and Group 3.
Is that correct?

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Can anybody confirm that I can use a Group 2 JB4 on my Sportwagen?
I have seen comments that there is no difference between Group 2 and Group 3.
Is that correct?
yes if it's a 1.8.