GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Car(s)
MQB A3
There are only two engines that have gone and we don't hide it.

Nor should you.

Stacking on what is already considered an aggressive tune is a calculated risk, but it is still a risk. The JB4 is a very useful tool, but a tool in the hands of many will be turned to weapon in time.

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Ha, so it's better to run on the ragged edge close to triggering a check engine light? That's kind of silly, don't you think?

And the JB4 does in fact fool the ECU so certain factory fail safes can no longer protect the engine. A lot of these factory mechanisms rely on key inputs which are manipulated by the JB4. It can't "bail you out" in certain situations because the data it's reading have been altered by the JB4.

If anything the JB4 pushes the running of the car closer to the allowable factory tolerances making it more sensitive to trigger a engine light for whatever reason.

There are only two engines that have gone and we don't hide it.

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Wasn't there also an engine failure quite a ways back with a guy who was running APR IS12 software, an IS20 turbo and JB4?

I wonder if there have been any 2.0T failures with the JB1 or JB4?

There is one who actually blew the engine from pushing the limits. The only other one to have any issues was because he left the JB4 on full map 6 JB4 only settings on top of the APR is20 flash. It was a complete user error and not do to stacking dangers. It caused him to have a ring failure on one cylinder.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Ha, so it's better to run on the ragged edge close to triggering a check engine light? That's kind of silly, don't you think?

And the JB4 does in fact fool the ECU so certain factory fail safes can no longer protect the engine. A lot of these factory mechanisms rely on key inputs which are manipulated by the JB4. It can't "bail you out" in certain situations because the data it's reading have been altered by the JB4.

If you chasing records or more performance ragged edge is a figure of speech. When is it ragged, when you go past 250-275-300-325 etc. The one engine broke at around 380 so people know now not to push that far.

Not sure which other factory mechanisms it would affect. Boost is increased 1-3psi average over a flash. The ECU's only mechanism for boost is if it goes over target. Since its sees stock boost/flash boost if that goes over it will still save the engine. The JB4 has this built in too with the boost safety value as well as AFR lean protection.
The rail pressure is also altered. This wont affect anything in terms of safety.

The 1.8T was treated like the black sheep by the tuning fraternity and we stepped in and closed the gap and people have gotten years of enjoyment that otherwise they wouldn't get. There is obviously still a gap in the market since some users want even more than the canned tunes available and we fill that gap. There is risk associated and someone is bound to find out the hard way but end of the day the people playing at those power levels are not doing it blindly since they get our support but are also aware of the associated risks. Something similar to you breaking so many axles on your Audi.

In terms of 2.0T there is a large thread on that side that you can go ask.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Wasn't there also an engine failure quite a ways back with a guy who was running APR IS12 software, an IS20 turbo and JB4?

I wonder if there have been any 2.0T failures with the JB1 or JB4?

No the only other guy besides Chuck is someone that got flashed at a car show and they had a track event same day. The logs of that car where posted showing boost pegged at 30psi.

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
I'm talking about things like knock control, EGT enrichment, etc. When you fool the ECU with bogus inputs, it has a tendency to not be able to bail you in certain situations.

If you chasing records or more performance ragged edge is a figure of speech. When is it ragged, when you go past 250-275-300-325 etc. The one engine broke at around 380 so people know now not to push that far.

Not sure which other factory mechanisms it would affect. Boost is increased 1-3psi average over a flash. The ECU's only mechanism for boost is if it goes over target. Since its sees stock boost/flash boost if that goes over it will still save the engine. The JB4 has this built in too with the boost safety value as well as AFR lean protection.
The rail pressure is also altered. This wont affect anything in terms of safety.

The 1.8T was treated like the black sheep by the tuning fraternity and we stepped in and closed the gap and people have gotten years of enjoyment that otherwise they wouldn't get. There is obviously still a gap in the market since some users want even more than the canned tunes available and we fill that gap. There is risk associated and someone is bound to find out the hard way but end of the day the people playing at those power levels are not doing it blindly since they get our support but are also aware of the associated risks. Something similar to you breaking so many axles on your Audi.

In terms of 2.0T there is a large thread on that side that you can go ask.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
I'm talking about things like knock control, EGT enrichment, etc. When you fool the ECU with bogus inputs, it has a tendency to not be able to bail you in certain situations.

Unlike some flashes the knock sensitivity is not decreased and is pretty much active.
Here is some EGT enrichment at play form early day testing. The JB4 does not over ride the AFR functionality of the ECU.
Timing to IAT is also totally active and you can see this at play in the same log.

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
I don't think you understand. Everything is based off of engine load. If the ECU is seeing x and you're actually at y, it's not going to be able pull timing, dump fuel, etc. You're fooling the ECU into seeing incorrect engine load WHICH everything is based off of.

Unlike some flashes the knock sensitivity is not decreased and is pretty much active.
Here is some EGT enrichment at play form early day testing. The JB4 does not over ride the AFR functionality of the ECU.
Timing to IAT is also totally active and you can see this at play in the same log.

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I don't think you understand. Everything is based off of engine load. If the ECU is seeing x and you're actually at y, it's not going to be able pull timing, dump fuel, etc. You're fooling the ECU into seeing incorrect engine load WHICH everything is based off of.

I'm sorry, did you just say "you don't understand" to George, THE resource/knowledgebase on piggybacks for mk7's, BMW's, etc., of all people. Back down.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
So how many times have you been thrown off Audizine? You may want to take it down a notch here.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie

So what you saying is because its at Y it will disable the knock sensors and the EGT measurement and that wont work anymore?
The load map ends at 100 so once you go over stock load is maxed regardless flash or piggy back so its does what it needs to do regardless.
In that case any larger turbo car will do the same with a flash since the flow algorithm from the stock turbo remains unchanged.
Anyway don't want to argue further, you seem set with your opinion and so am I so that wont change anything.

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
No, I'm not saying they'll be disabled. What I'm saying is key data the ECU relies on in order invoke those protection schemes has been altered. So in certain situations it may think everything is fine when it's not due to JB4's manipulation.

So what you saying is because its at Y it will disable the knock sensors and the EGT measurement and that wont work anymore?
The load map ends at 100 so once you go over stock load is maxed regardless flash or piggy back so its does what it needs to do regardless.
In that case any larger turbo car will do the same with a flash since the flow algorithm from the stock turbo remains unchanged.
Anyway don't want to argue further, you seem set with your opinion and so am I so that wont change anything.