GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB1 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread.

kyLman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf
Confirmed.
I am about to buy used - is there anything I need to be concerned with? He doesnt have the original box or any instructions, easy enough to find online I would imagine. Im scared he's missing a connector or something I would need.

RobotChug

Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8t
I am about to buy used - is there anything I need to be concerned with? He doesnt have the original box or any instructions, easy enough to find online I would imagine. Im scared he's missing a connector or something I would need.
Also just bought used. Going to install this weekend. You can easily look up YouTube install videos to confirm you have all the plugs. Ideally you have the data (usb) cable or Bluetooth connector so you can update to the latest firmware. Follow the instructions for what the different maps are. A used unit may have a edited map 6 so as long as you set it to one of the presets (that fits your situation), you should be fine. Then If you want to experiment with map 6 you can use the Bluetooth or data cable and set it all back to the default values to start which you can find in this thread and a couple more. Maps 1-5 are preset though so those will be the same new or used.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Also just bought used. Going to install this weekend. You can easily look up YouTube install videos to confirm you have all the plugs. Ideally you have the data (usb) cable or Bluetooth connector so you can update to the latest firmware. Follow the instructions for what the different maps are. A used unit may have a edited map 6 so as long as you set it to one of the presets (that fits your situation), you should be fine. Then If you want to experiment with map 6 you can use the Bluetooth or data cable and set it all back to the default values to start which you can find in this thread and a couple more. Maps 1-5 are preset though so those will be the same new or used.
Set to map 0 and log it first. Then have fun.

00Zero

Go Kart Newbie
Does anyone have a primer on how the ECU torque limits work? is it a hard limit on what the ecu will allow?

What is the upper limit of what a jb1 or even a jb4 could do on additive maps (i don't want to tune to the ragged edge or worry about seasonal changes on absolute boost)

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
The torque tables are based off airmass values which are measured from the T-MAP sensor that the JB4 taps in to. That probably means the ECU torque values and limits are irrelevant when the JB4 is active. Any problems reaching target boost is likely ECU wastegate control related. The default limit the JB4 will allow is 9 PSI above what the ECU wants to run. The DME_BT value is what the ECU is programmed to run.

MANU01

Passed Driver's Ed
We have done quite a lot of testing recently using the JB4 on 87 and have a idea more or less what will work.
Set boost safety to 3.0 and you should be good for 87.
With regular gas (87 octane)

Can boost safety be set to 3.0 with the following settings on MAP6 on the JB1:

1500 0
2000 2
2500 3
3000 3.5
3500 4
4000 4.5
4500 5
5000 5
5500 5
6000 4.8
6500 4.5
7000 4.5

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
With regular gas (87 octane)

Can boost safety be set to 3.0 with the following settings on MAP6 on the JB1:

1500 0
2000 2
2500 3
3000 3.5
3500 4
4000 4.5
4500 5
5000 5
5500 5
6000 4.8
6500 4.5
7000 4.5

With 87 I would keep the highest values at 4.5.

On the JB1 boost safety controls map 1 aggression. If you set it to 4.5 the JB1 will try achieve that across the rpm range. When map 6 is selected the chart is used and boost safety is ignored.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Are there any issues with using Android auto and the JB4 app at the same time? I mainly use my phone for Nav and Spotify via USB cable with Android auto, but i'm curious if I can monitor JB4 gauges like boost with the App while driving at the same time i'm using Nav and streaming music. I know the app says not to have anything else BT hooked up but the JB4 to the phone, but it doesn't mention USB connections or Android Auto/Carplay.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Are there any issues with using Android auto and the JB4 app at the same time? I mainly use my phone for Nav and Spotify via USB cable with Android auto, but i'm curious if I can monitor JB4 gauges like boost with the App while driving at the same time i'm using Nav and streaming music. I know the app says not to have anything else BT hooked up but the JB4 to the phone, but it doesn't mention USB connections or Android Auto/Carplay.

Nope. I did it. Part of it depends on your phone too. My old OG pixel def struggled with sample rate more than my Pixel 4.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Nope. I did it. Part of it depends on your phone too. My old OG pixel def struggled with sample rate more than my Pixel 4.
Awesome to hear. Looks like I need to get a vent mount and figure out where to mount up my phone so I can monitor the app on the phone while streaming to head unit. Is the Boost gauge actual boost or boost+atmosphere? Was going to run a P3 gauge but read splitting ODBII can create latency issues with JB4, so using the app would be great to monitor without the need for a mechanical gauge.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Awesome to hear. Looks like I need to get a vent mount and figure out where to mount up my phone so I can monitor the app on the phone while streaming to head unit. Is the Boost gauge actual boost or boost+atmosphere? Was going to run a P3 gauge but read splitting ODBII can create latency issues with JB4, so using the app would be great to monitor without the need for a mechanical gauge.
It's relative pressure, so no mental math.

MANU01

Passed Driver's Ed
With 87 I would keep the highest values at 4.5.

On the JB1 boost safety controls map 1 aggression. If you set it to 4.5 the JB1 will try achieve that across the rpm range. When map 6 is selected the chart is used and boost safety is ignored.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Then what do you recommend?

Map1 or map 6?

Map1 with boost safety at 3.0 or map6 with highest values at 4.5?