GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB1 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread.

Slick99

Ready to race!
Try a bottle at 4.2, if those hesitations are gone then on normal fuel you going to want to run 4.0.

Just want to mention to the rest of the readers Slick99 is in Pakistan where the fuel quality is questionable.
The only one with JB1 in Pakistan as there's no flash tuner here, closest is India or UAE but i m really happy with JB1, also George is really helpful and give prompt reply.

George i will try STP bottle first as NOS bottle is 7 times more expensive than STP

Sent from my HTC One_M8 dual sim using Tapatalk

Turbo V

Ready to race!
George,

My JB1 should be shipping soon. I ordered the cable with it but only have a Mac. I read somewhere that Mac is not fully compatible yet it defaults to map 0. I was wondering if this is resolved and what in addition to the data cable will I need to hook up my Mac air or iPhone to get this so work. The link above mentions an iOS only app and mentions another cable and or Bluetooth and talks about jb4 instead. I am a little confused. Thank you for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
George,

My JB1 should be shipping soon. I ordered the cable with it but only have a Mac. I read somewhere that Mac is not fully compatible yet it defaults to map 0. I was wondering if this is resolved and what in addition to the data cable will I need to hook up my Mac air or iPhone to get this so work. The link above mentions an iOS only app and mentions another cable and or Bluetooth and talks about jb4 instead. I am a little confused. Thank you for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

The Mac software issue of it reverting to map 0 has been resolved.

You can download the drivers here http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP/MacOSX/FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_18.dmg and the software here: http://bit.ly/25JKv0V
You may need to enable non-signed applications on your mac. To do this,
Open System Preferences->Security & Privacy->General->Allow Apps downloaded from "Anywhere"

With Iphone app there is still some bugs which we waiting for the developer to resolve.

All our units use a interface that is called JB4 but is universal for all the piggy backs we release.

Turbo V

Ready to race!
Hi,

The Mac software issue of it reverting to map 0 has been resolved.

You can download the drivers here http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP/MacOSX/FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_18.dmg and the software here: http://bit.ly/25JKv0V
You may need to enable non-signed applications on your mac. To do this,
Open System Preferences->Security & Privacy->General->Allow Apps downloaded from "Anywhere"

With Iphone app there is still some bugs which we waiting for the developer to resolve.

All our units use a interface that is called JB4 but is universal for all the piggy backs we release.

Thank you for answering my question. I should have read this is for the 1.8T I have the 2016 Golf R. I guess this will not work?

Slick99

Ready to race!

Slick99

Ready to race!
Thread updated post 2 with some dyno figures courtesy of toledospeed

tht quite big difference from map 1 to map 6.....any supporting mods for map 6?

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
The updated dyno results in post #2 look to be right in line with an APR stage 1 87 Octane tune. Looks like a winner! With supporting modifications and trustworthy higher octane, "stage 2" numbers should be easy.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Thread updated post 2 with some dyno figures courtesy of toledospeed

Thanks again for your help George! I don't know how I missed this post...

tht quite big difference from map 1 to map 6.....any supporting mods for map 6?

Only a custom Magnaflow cat-back exhaust and K&N drop-in with "snow catcher" removed.

The updated dyno results in post #2 look to be right in line with an APR stage 1 87 Octane tune. Looks like a winner! With supporting modifications and trustworthy higher octane, "stage 2" numbers should be easy.

Thanks for letting me know this was posted! It would be interesting to see a DP on the TSI with JB1, but I'm still not sure about it yet. The first reason is because APR stage 1 to stage 2 on 93 octane doesn't yield nearly as much on the 1.8T Golf as it does on the GTI. Also, I'm thinking about trading in the Golf for an R next Spring. So, I'm not sure I want to mess with the car much more over the next 10-12 months or so. With the JB1 and subtle cat-back mod, this car is exactly what I wanted it to be.

MrCypherr

Passed Driver's Ed
I was actually thinking about this. I want to get JB1 and a catted downpipe with it being down stream. Since it doesn't tune the cel off when you have a catless, I'd rather get catted

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

xGreg

Passed Driver's Ed
anyone on here have any youtube videos of their golf equipped with the JB1? I'm interested in hearing the idle sounds and acceleratoins sounds with the increase in boost

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
anyone on here have any youtube videos of their golf equipped with the JB1? I'm interested in hearing the idle sounds and acceleratoins sounds with the increase in boost

Sounds at idle will be unchanged by the JB1 since it won't be actively changing signals. It will be monitoring signals, but not doing anything to adjust boost or fuel pressure at idle.

Under acceleration, you will hear more intake and exhaust sound due to the increased airflow through the engine, but it will depend on what bolt-ons you have. The stock intake system provides a good baffle for the turbo, so it won't be noticeable to others that you suddenly have a "tuned" car. Same goes for the stock exhaust. If you go back and forth between stock map and map 1/6, you will notice a "slight" difference in sound due to increased airflow/power, but like I said, nothing major or noticeable to others. If you have an aftermarket intake or exhaust, then the sound increase will be amplified a bit more. The "how much" will depend on which aftermarket parts you have.

I wanted a bit more sound out of my Golf, so I did the following:
1) I created my own cat-back exhaust by replacing the resonator with a smaller Jones resonator, the suitcase muffler with a Magnaflow, and some nice chrome dual 3" tips. I lost 20 lbs of metal, slightly increased throttle response due to the straight-thru muffler, and my car sounds like the Magnaflow cat-back offered for the 1.8 TSI (but only 1/4 the cost installed).
2) Removed the "snow catcher" grate from the stock intake and replaced the stock air filter with a K&N. Intake sound increase is subtle as compared to stock.

Additional note: Early on, I tried a couple "open" intakes and would not recommend them. You will hear this repeatedly around the forum. Sound is increased, but general driveability and performance on hot days is decreased. Aftermarket "closed" intakes ($$$) may give a bit more intake sound than stock, but performance increase is negligible or non-existent, especially for a Golf TSI. I like to remind others that we have the same stock intake as the GTI and R, and they can yield over 300 WHP on the stock intake. Replacing the stock intake on the 1.8T is a complete waste of time if you are chasing after performance. I like to challenge folks that like their "open" intake to remove it and go back to stock for one week during the summer. Then, see if you want to put it back on. Since folks hardly ever go back to compare to stock, they really don't ever compare them fairly. They let their emotions convince them the aftermarket piece is better due to the sound, but they don't consider driveability.

Bottom line: the JB1 is great, it will make your Golf TSI very close in engine performance to a stock GTI, and it will be barely noticeable as far as sound goes.