GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Motorsport JB1 MAP 6 - User Settings List and Discussion

Z27

Ready to race!
So who is the JB1 geared for? And the JB4?

Is the JB4 meant for people going big turbo upgrade, etc?

And is the JB1 meant for stock or full bolt-on users?

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
So who is the JB1 geared for? And the JB4?

Is the JB4 meant for people going big turbo upgrade, etc?

And is the JB1 meant for stock or full bolt-on users?

The JB1 is geared for people who want to put a unit on and forget about it regardless of hardware. The maps will eventually be tailored for this with some options to customize. Its a affordable unit so entry level.

The JB4 is for people who want to be more involved in the tuning of theirs cars. It caters for more mod variances and the logging feature and code clearing is added plus.

Z27

Ready to race!
The JB1 is geared for people who want to put a unit on and forget about it regardless of hardware. The maps will eventually be tailored for this with some options to customize. Its a affordable unit so entry level.

The JB4 is for people who want to be more involved in the tuning of theirs cars. It caters for more mod variances and the logging feature and code clearing is added plus.

Thanks for explaining. I'm new to tuning so I don't really know what other variables there are. I just thought the JB1 has a pretty complex table as an entry level.

Does the JB4 work the same way where it's a plug and play that "intercepts" the signal to the ECU?

Do you have a ballpark on how much the JB4 will be?

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for explaining. I'm new to tuning so I don't really know what other variables there are. I just thought the JB1 has a pretty complex table as an entry level.

Does the JB4 work the same way where it's a plug and play that "intercepts" the signal to the ECU?

Do you have a ballpark on how much the JB4 will be?

Cool.
The JB4 works on the same principle.
Its too soon to do pricing.

skian

Ready to race!
Yes slightly more than the peak of the punched in numbers in the rpm section, we not certain which direction we going to go with. If users find map 6 more useful than map 1 we going to lock the boost curve in 1 and 2. When boost safety is reached in map 6 it will default to map 1 for safety reasons. The GTI or R does not over boost easily and only happens if there is extreme throttle closure. I need to decide in the next few days which way to go, either way we will have both firmware choices available so people can have the options to choose. Would also like to hear opinions of users of what works for them.

When you say "lock the boost curve in 1 and 2",would boost safety not affect maps 1 and 2?

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Yes slightly more than the peak of the punched in numbers in the rpm section, we not certain which direction we going to go with. If users find map 6 more useful than map 1 we going to lock the boost curve in 1 and 2. When boost safety is reached in map 6 it will default to map 1 for safety reasons. The GTI or R does not over boost easily and only happens if there is extreme throttle closure. I need to decide in the next few days which way to go, either way we will have both firmware choices available so people can have the options to choose. Would also like to hear opinions of users of what works for them.

Its a possibility I am considering. Then guys who want to be flexible have got map 6 to work with.

Hi George, it kinda sounds like you have to live within the constraints of the existing user interface, is this correct? If yes, then I think it makes sense to do what you have suggested. Let me see if I understand you correctly. Would it work like this?

Boost Safety - JB won't ever increment boost higher than this maximum value. For example, if the stock ECU max boost requested is 14.5 PSI (GTI), then a Boost Safety value of 4.8 means the ECU will now be able to request up to 19.3 PSI via the JB.

map 0 - stock
map 1 - default, modest and safe. Boost Safety setting defines highest amount of boost (+ PSI) that will be added to stock boost along the predetermined "modest" boost curve in the firmware.
map 2 - more aggressive. Boost Safety setting defines highest amount of boost (+ PSI) that will be added to stock boost along the predetermined "aggressive" boost curve in the firmware.
map 4 - meth? Does this still require using another map as I heard before, or how does this work?
map 5 - track?
map 6 - User Defined Adjustment - boost by RPM. If Boost Safety value is exceeded for any RPM's Map 6 Boost Value(i.e. user makes a mistake in data entry), then it will fall back to map 1, since the programmer can no longer be trusted!

Fuel Open Loop - will apply to all maps. (Will this be able to be further tweaked in map 6 via AFR bias?)

RedHotVAG

Ready to race!
He gnr4whals, do you think this has anything to do with it? I just came across this when I was researching VW turbo engines.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Hi George, it kinda sounds like you have to live within the constraints of the existing user interface, is this correct? If yes, then I think it makes sense to do what you have suggested. Let me see if I understand you correctly. Would it work like this?

Boost Safety - JB won't ever increment boost higher than this maximum value. For example, if the stock ECU max boost requested is 14.5 PSI (GTI), then a Boost Safety value of 4.8 means the ECU will now be able to request up to 19.3 PSI via the JB.

map 0 - stock
map 1 - default, modest and safe. Boost Safety setting defines highest amount of boost (+ PSI) that will be added to stock boost along the predetermined "modest" boost curve in the firmware.
map 2 - more aggressive. Boost Safety setting defines highest amount of boost (+ PSI) that will be added to stock boost along the predetermined "aggressive" boost curve in the firmware.
map 4 - meth? Does this still require using another map as I heard before, or how does this work?
map 5 - track?
map 6 - User Defined Adjustment - boost by RPM. If Boost Safety value is exceeded for any RPM's Map 6 Boost Value(i.e. user makes a mistake in data entry), then it will fall back to map 1, since the programmer can no longer be trusted!

Fuel Open Loop - will apply to all maps. (Will this be able to be further tweaked in map 6 via AFR bias?)

Slightly different.

Map 1 Fixed boost add 4.8 approx
Map 2 Fixed boost add 5.2 approx
Map 3 Meth
Map 6 variable boost for guys that want to adjust

skian

Ready to race!
Slightly different.

Map 3 Meth
Would map 1 and 2 give a constant 4.8/5psi over stock or does it have a predetermined curve for the added boost?

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Would map 1 and 2 give a constant 4.8/5psi over stock or does it have a predetermined curve for the added boost?

Predetermined curve. These should be determined from a pool of figures I am receiving and logs.
The previous firmware will still be available so the choice is yours what you prefer to run.

Last edited:

Z27

Ready to race!
Predetermined curve. These should be determined from a pool of figures I am receiving and logs.

Does that mean that map6 will have a smoother experience with higher low-end acceleration?

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion

Its a possibility I am considering. Then guys who want to be flexible have got map 6 to work with.

Slightly different.

Map 3 Meth

Ok, this makes sense too. And I see how it is better for you, and makes more logical sense within the UI. With the way it is now (map 1), when the user changes the Boost Safety, I'm sure it is a bit tricky to mathematically apply the boost curve at runtime to fatten it in the proper areas to make everyone happy. For example, right now, when a user moves from 5.0 to 5.5, it will affect the low-to-midrange as well as the top. Higher numbers mean faster spool up and some won't like this. If you fix the boost, then you can apply the boost curve exactly as you see fit in map 1 and 2.

However, with the 1.8t, since we don't have RPM reading yet (and no map 6 support), we currently have map 1 and 2 in which are algorithms to increment boost (If ECU sends x PSI, then JB will allow y PSI etc.). If the firmware changes in the way you are saying (fixed boost for map 1 and 2), this really limits what the 1.8t can do with the new firmware since boost will have to be set at either 4.8 or 5.2. For now, I can see why we want to keep the currently released firmware, but is the R&D still progressing on the 1.8t to be able to fit a connector to the harness so that RPM is available for us?

Thanks George!

It would have to be predetermined.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Does that mean that map6 will have a smoother experience with higher low-end acceleration?

That will be up to you;) If you want more down low, you dial it in. Otherwise, you can trim some away. Same deal across the powerband. Super cool.